Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Re: The Hazelnut Railway

Post by essex2visuvesi » 12th February, 2012, 10:12 am

That looks like it would be at home here

">

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Silly me, how could I fail to recognise Wilson!

Ian,

I'll see if it is Triang when I am next up in the loft. Not brought it down yet. There appears to be a working headlight.

Correct. My lamp bit the bullet some years ago and it was having a refurb with the front light bulb being replaced with a LED and then an addition red LED being inserted underneath the white LED so that I could run it top & tail with another loco similair in design. Still nowhere finished yet.

Ian

Will try to dig mine out and see it I can get it back into service sometime this year, time permitting, but the next question is what livery should I do it in, considering that I have got a spare HST drive unit knocking around somewhere also, I might give it a new lease of life running an assorted rake of MK3's with the EMD at one end and the class 43 HST at the other end. All will have working directional lights.

Ian

Seeing as its an American loco I might just respray it to match a rake of coaches that I already have, just wish that I have the Lionel girls train set to go with the stock but patience is a virtue, as just hunting now for a pennsy 2-6-4 with double bogied tender.

[album]673[/album]

Your thoughts on respraying the old EMD7 this colour.

Ian

Grockle, my first impression is that it's a moving violation. Now i'm just laughing and can't wait to see the results. I'm all for it! :lol:

If you want to get crazy on PRR check out the 4-4-4-4 Duplex with sound and smoke. :)

http://www.broadway-limited.com/bli-2230prrt14-4-4-45513paragon2sounddcdccho.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.lionel-train-set.com/images/1957%20Lionel%20Girls%20Pink%20Trains%20set%20in%20the%20boxes%20number%201587s.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the one that I would actually love to own but in my dreams only, but any American 2-6-4 with the twin bogied tender would be nice to have so that I can do a respray on it so that its a match for my rake of 10 Pink coaches.

Ian

Oh yeah the girls train set from the 50's I think. Lionel trains are wonderful. I have a 4-6-4 hudson with cars and track. It makes a racket when it runs and it has smoke and a whistle. But you happened to pick a train that had limited appeal in it's time as well as being extremely collectible now.I do understand the fascination with it.

--------------------- a few hours later----------------------

uh... I just got back from the train store. They had two sets of what you want there. I think a little less than 400.00 per set W/O track or transformer. They have been rereleased by williams.

Can be found on ebay and other stores, but in your case the transformer is useless and track is cheap.

I never thought my discovery would create so much discussion :)

Perhaps in the interest of keeping my sons attention a red coat of paint and a smile would be appropriate. I don't have an airbrush so a little investment may be required.

Not a problem, hijack away! As you say, with so little action outside it's nice to find another distraction. I'll have to have another rummage and see what else is hiding in the boxes. i think that's probably all of the exciting stuff although I haven't posted any photos of my metal Deltic yet :)

Does the lack of concrete in the ground fixings for the posts affect you during exceptionally wet weather? I ask because I am considering a similar set up to you, ramming posts in and then baseboards. But I am a little worried about shift if the ground gets very wet. Am I worrying too much?

CC

Good to see you here CC.

I think there is a delusion on the part of model railroaders that everything is permanent. You'd think we were all building stone henge in our back yard. Or worse, what if you actually want to remove the layout? Just try something and see what happens, that's what everyone here is doing. :)

Hi CC, this is the first winter the railway has seen so time will tell how it will hold up. At the moment all looks ok, although I have not run anything for a bit. I was concerned about just sinking the support straight in to the ground but ran out of patience. I am hoping the fact that the wood is treated decking covered by roofing felt it will be well protected. I'll be intersted in how your construction goes.

• 4 weeks later...

So, with some decent weather I finally have a day in the garden running trains. After around 15 mins with the track rubber I thought the first run to the year should be by a Deltic. I have only cleaned one line so far but all good and no sign of voltage drop or derailments. The track and base have geld up well over the winter. I will bond the track this year as I guess it is only a matter of time before things don't run so smoothly.

I am having issues uploading images at the moment. Not sure why the issues at home but it is since I changed my router. Can do it elsewhere, but as I have 2 weeks off thats not an option at the moment. Shame though as I have some decent pics!

Here's a few clips of todays day in the sun on the Hazelnut Railway. After a few hours of smooth running I experienced worsening running. Not sure if I was just finding more dirt on the track as time went by. Good fun all the same, hoping for more good weather 8-)

">

">