The Hazelnut Railway

AndyR

In the begining..

So I thought it was about time I put some details of my railway on here. I initially came up with the idea of where to locate it around a year ago but finally started construction around May this year. A lot of my inspiration came from youtube clips of various railway such as Jule's and the Selby. Given time hopefully my will make the grade ;)

The construction is based on decking covered by felt. The decking is staked in to the ground using deck edging posts. Hopefully this will last a few years as the wood is treated, possibly the lazy option rather than using a brick or cement base but time will tell..

The railway is located a the end of my garden, sheltered and between a number of pathways. The following photos show the construction stages.

Clearing the ground

image.php?album_id=25&image_id=539image.php?album_id=25&image_id=539http://www.oogardenrailway.co.uk/gallery/image.php?album_id=25&image_id=539' alt='URL>'>

Positioning the base boards

image.php?album_id=25&image_id=537image.php?album_id=25&image_id=537http://www.oogardenrailway.co.uk/gallery/image.php?album_id=25&image_id=537' alt='URL>'>

image.php?album_id=25&image_id=543image.php?album_id=25&image_id=543http://www.oogardenrailway.co.uk/gallery/image.php?album_id=25&image_id=543' alt='URL>'>

image.php?album_id=25&image_id=544image.php?album_id=25&image_id=544http://www.oogardenrailway.co.uk/gallery/image.php?album_id=25&image_id=544' alt='URL>'>

image.php?album_id=25&image_id=540image.php?album_id=25&image_id=540http://www.oogardenrailway.co.uk/gallery/image.php?album_id=25&image_id=540' alt='URL>'>

First running line complete

image.php?album_id=25&image_id=545image.php?album_id=25&image_id=545http://www.oogardenrailway.co.uk/gallery/image.php?album_id=25&image_id=545' alt='URL>'>

To date I have not attached permanent power to the line and am still mulling over the best method. I also need to purchase new controller as I have so far been using a single lima one from around 1979! Could be tempted to go for DCC, although my entire fleet are way before DCC technology arrived and would need to be chipped.

There is a lot of landscaping that needs doing but should make a start over the next week, weather permitting. On the rolling stock front the majority is modern image. If I ever build an indoor layout it will be based on the late 80s to the west of London (plenty of time spent on Reading platform with a camera). Outdoors however I feel I can get away with running anything that looks good. I only have a rake of blue/grey mark 1s (5) and a rake of mixed mark 2s plus a mix of blood/custard maroon GWR.

I'll add more on the progress soon plus a photo shoot of the fleet if we ever get anymore sunshine.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's great Andy - glad you finally managed to get the photos added!

I've seen the photos in your gallery but it's so much better when you have a bit of accompanying text. The layout's looking good and just needs some surrounding vegetation to form a backdrop.

A model railway can be an expensive pastime so do make the best of what you've already got. DCC's great but look at IanRs Kirkfield & Warmthorpe and you'll see that standard DC has plenty of life in it yet.

Is that your son lending a hand on one of the photo's?

Thanks for the comments Mick. Yes, my son is always keen to help!

I plan to work on the landscaping this week as I have a well earned week at home away from work. Also need to get the second running line complete. There is a fair amount of competition between Thomas and my fleet at the moment, under the thumb to a 3 yr old is never easy to admit!

That looks really fun. I love seeing progress photos.

Regarding DCC. If you use address 0 on the controller you can run dc locos with it. I am in the same bind since most of my Ho/oo stuff is all old. But I also have a DCC steamer with sound that I installed. My cure will be to use a different power pack depending on what I feel like running that day.

Keep the old Lima controller, but get a nice new DCC controller as you transition out of DC.

My Ho fleet is small. I only have 4 locos total. How many locos would you have to chip?

The pictures look great keep them coming!

Cheers for the tip traingeekboy on the DCC. I have (I think) around 30 locos. The majority are diesel from the mid-late 80s scene, so a number in NSE and sector liveries. I have not added to the fleet since I was in my teens! The detailing has come on massively since then, but so has the price! I don't have anything in Intercity livery so could be tempted by a 47.

While I'm on here I thought I'd add a few more pics. I did plan to do some more track laying today but other gardening got in the way! I need a gardener or more time in the days.. As it is pouring with rain outside at the moment I may be putting things on hold for a few days. Anyway, a few more pics.

The top end of the layout.

image.php?album_id=25&image_id=553&sk=t&sd=d&st=0image.php?album_id=25&image_id= ... &sd=d&st=0http://www.oogardenrailway.co.uk/gallery/image.php?album_id=25&image_id=553&sk=t&sd=d&st=0' alt='URL>'>

The main straight.

image.php?album_id=25&image_id=547&sk=t&sd=d&st=0image.php?album_id=25&image_id= ... &sd=d&st=0http://www.oogardenrailway.co.uk/gallery/image.php?album_id=25&image_id=547&sk=t&sd=d&st=0' alt='URL>'>

D200 gets a run out.

image.php?album_id=25&image_id=558&sk=t&sd=d&st=0image.php?album_id=25&image_id= ... &sd=d&st=0http://www.oogardenrailway.co.uk/gallery/image.php?album_id=25&image_id=558&sk=t&sd=d&st=0' alt='URL>'>

31164, the oldest member of the fleet. Triang, but stills runs great.

image.php?album_id=25&image_id=557&sk=t&sd=d&st=0image.php?album_id=25&image_id= ... &sd=d&st=0http://www.oogardenrailway.co.uk/gallery/image.php?album_id=25&image_id=557&sk=t&sd=d&st=0' alt='URL>'>

I repainted 31164 when I was in my mid teens. Only just noticed that I used one size too large for the BR logo!

image.php?album_id=25&image_id=555&sk=t&sd=d&st=0image.php?album_id=25&image_id= ... &sd=d&st=0http://www.oogardenrailway.co.uk/gallery/image.php?album_id=25&image_id=555&sk=t&sd=d&st=0' alt='URL>'>

I like your layout. I too have mostly older trains. The new detailed stuff is really beautiful, but there is a lot to be said for cheaper trains. I have bought a couple new old things off of ebay, but my childhood stuff has a special place in my heart. I think it's cool you painted some locos as a kid. Maybe those locos aren't perfect but it's sort of a personal diary of model railroading.

I suppose I will have to post up pictures of my trains but I am waiting to get action pictures of them actually on the layout at some point.

Any plans for sidings or structures on the layout? Have you ever considered some sort of tent or umbrella so that you can work in the elements as winters sets in? It would be a shame to hold off during the winter. :)

The winter's not quite so bad as you might think. Providing there's suitable access around the layout (the ground can become extremely muddy during the damp months) there's nothing to stop you running trains when it's a dry day providing you're nicely wrapped up against the cold. Access round the layout for cleaning etc is what makes things difficult for me - the cold I can put up with.

Garden layouts are all about running trains and so there's no real need to get the latest super-detailed models. In fact some of the earlier models will probably be heavier and thus more suitable for running outdoors. With the older models you're also not going to be continually knocking the finer detail parts off every time you get hold of one to place it on or off track. There's more obstacles outdoors in the form of insects, fallen leaves and other debis that can potentially derail a loco and cause it to be damaged. I think it's great that you're both able to run trains that you've had with you for some time.

Mick,

Andy's layout is an inspiration for me right now because it's just a few steps ahead of mine. I was all set to lay track and then I ended up doing some construction work, demolition and rewiring in a store and in someones house. ARGH! Hard work. So it kept me away from the layout.

To all who pass by here:

What are the mechanisms in older hornby stuff like? I have a Jouef diesel from around 1977; it has a belt drive in it. I also have a SNCF high speed train from that era that is lima, it has one of those awful lima side motors. The train does more sideways motion than forward motion. I also have a articulated FS electric that also has one of those Lima motors in it. My one good runner is an american steam shunter that is just top of the line both in mechanism and detail.

So I am curious about British models. Mostly from a running perspective. I had the chance to run an old Fleischman DSB Noab and it was like a brick. Weighed a ton and ran quiet and smooth considering it was possibly 20-30 years old. i also ran a Liliput steamer the other day and it was not as good, but still a reliable machine. Maybe I need to start a new discussion about engines. although I have to say that everyone has different views on running quality.

Cheers for the tip traingeekboy on the DCC. I have (I think) around 30 locos. The majority are diesel from the mid-late 80s scene, so a number in NSE and sector liveries. I have not added to the fleet since I was in my teens! The detailing has come on massively since then, but so has the price! I don't have anything in Intercity livery so could be tempted by a 47.

I agree on the prices. I used to be obsessed with new trains, but I have found that second hand from an online site like ebay is a lot cheaper. Once the box has been opened and that Chinese air has been let out, the price tag goes down quite a bit. ;)

Mick,

I'm fortunate in that the layout is surrounded on all sides by paving so access in damp weather will not be an issue. There are a number of shrubs and trees above the railway that do pose a challenge with leaves and debris. No derailments so far. Plenty of hazelnuts landing on the track at the moment so need to tale care! My son has christened the line the 'Hazelnut Railway', I may have to use that! I do plan to remove some of the shrubs, easy on the gardening as well as the line.

Traingeekboy,

No real plans for structures at the moment although I may take to placing the signal box I have somewhere on the layout. There is a place I could put a small station but at the moment just want to get the trains running. On the sidings, I have read a number of comments warning of points introducing problems. That said I may add on siding so I have room to stable an additional train.

I hope it's nothing I've written that's made it sound like points can be a problem :oops: Points will require regular maintenance and cleaning but they can be no more difficult to install as those on any other type of layout. You might need to think carefully about where to locate them and how they will be operated, if indeed they are to be motorised. If you're just thinking of manually flicking them over as and when required then there shouldn't be any problem - just ensure that the contact surfaces are kept clean.

Don't be deterred from installing points because of any negative comments about their reliability outdoors - points are almost essential for operational interest and you'll find the bit of additional work required to keep them functioning correctly will be well worth it.

Don't worry Mick, it wasn't on here! After the words of encouragement I have installed a set of points to give the option of some sidings. This wasn't I. My original plans as I will need to lay some more base, but I can do that later! Had a good day runnings and laying track today but have a few laptop issues so can't upload any photos. Hope to get it fixed soon, fir now will have to keep you posted via my phone! Sunny weather forecast in Norfolk again tomorrow so may get the second line complete.

Love the name very catchy and sort of rustic.

I started a thread about our track plans over in the general section I think so I won't go much into track design here, but I am glad to hear you are trying some points. If anything I would consider setting a small piece of plank wood over the points when not in use. I saw one guy who had hinged pieces that flipped over, and then he would put a structure on the additional piece of wood so it served two functions. I think that was in the grumpy grandad video.

It's always good to read progress, glad you started posting about your layout on here.

Given the good weather over the weekend I should have got further with completing the second line, discovered that I was short of track!Another visit to the shop should solve that problem this weekend. As I couldn't do much more I decided to start photographing my stock. I have put a number of new photos in my gallery, I'll add some detail on them in here when I get a chance.

I had my first derailment due to debris, Thomas had a lucky escape after colliding with a leaf. Better that than a tractor I think (see gallery).

question: does stock refer to locomotives only or is it all stock, or is it only what we call rolling stock such as cars and coaches? you'd think we wouldn't have a language barrier, but there are some terms and uses.

Here in the USA if you've eaten a large meal you say, "I'm stuffed"; our usage of that word is much different than yours. Took me a while to realize that ha ha.

When I said stock I was refering just to the locos, but that term could be for all 'rolling stock'. As for being stuffed after a large meal, we use that phrase in the same context too! Quite topical today for me after a free lunch in the sun with my manager and colleague!

Not had much time for activity over the last few weeks but popped in to town and bough the rest of the track I need. I hope to complete the second line by the end of the weekend and will post some more photos. I bought a dual track controller today, second hand but should to the job. I was very close to buying a second hand boxed Hornby class 50, 50020 today but resisted somehow. For £60 I may take it if it's still there next time!