Baseboard Bracing

chris

Following Ian's lead I've used Gypframe sections to brace my baseboards between brackets. On the whole I've been very pleased with them. I have learnt that I must do a better job of fixing them to the baseboards at the ends of the Gypframe and that they aren't up to the job of keeping a 30cm wide board from sagging between 200cm spaced shelf brackets. :oops: An additional central support was required.

Phase 3 of Amblethorpe will be using 30cm wide boards to allow for more scenery around the tracks. I've been trying to work out whether I will need two runs of Gypframe under the boards or place the shelf bracket closer together (tricky when your fence posts are already in place).

However. I've just done a bit of skip diving, in the hope of getting a couple of lengths of timber, but I came out with four 190cm lengths of Aluminium "T" Girder. These had been part of a conservatory roof and appear to be very strong yet rather lightweight. They could be just what I'm after.

• 4 weeks later...
IanR said:

Wow, a photo!

Seriously that aluminium section looks perfect for bracing.

Ian, you're not wrong. I put screws in every 200mm or so and it has braced it very flat. The board is 400mm wide (twice the width and thus weight of yours) but I don't think it will sag.

34881333d6675f541c61e7a449f83acd.jpg

• 2 weeks later...