North East Rail Rover

chris

Not much work going on on the railway this week. My wife and I purchased rail rovers this mooring and will be spending whatever free time we have this week taveling around everywhere between Cleethorpes, Sheffield, Carlisle and Berwick. Today we popped up to Radcar for Ice Cream (Lemon Top!) and then up the Durham Coast to Newcastle and on to Alnmouth for pie and a pint in the Red Lion.

Was planing on doing the Settle to Carlisle tomorrow, but there are 4 hour gaps between services on a Sunday which makes a journey break at Ribblehead a bit long stop over. We've got a B&B booked at Hexham tomorrow night to may change plans and do the S&C on Monday. But if we don't do the long drag, then where do we go tomorrow :?:

• 4 weeks later...

There is a sods law of train travel in the UK, it goes like this...

When you have to purchase an eye wateringly expensive ticket for your journey, the train is never delayed enough for you to be able to claim any money back. When you are delayed by 2+ hours your traveling between Glasgow and York for £5 on a super advanced single and it ain't worth claiming :roll:

The very last journey we made on our rover was late on Friday evening home from Durham. Oliver Cromwell had disgraced himself by setting fire to the line side and the East Coast was in complete mess. We were delayed by over 100 minutes. This was the only delay we had on the 27 trains we caught that week. I claimed for the delay and East Coast repaid 100% of the cost of the tickets, yep all £92 (twice) for the full week because of one delay.

I'm not sure they understanmd what a rover is at East Coast. :D