UV resistance

traingeekboy

Before someone pointed me to this forum I pestered numerous forums for any info on garden railways. On a G scale forum they advised having the track be UV resistant due to sun damage. I have heard peco track is UV resistant, But since I am in the USA Atlas is cheaper. I'm on a tight budget and 16 pcs of Flex track for just one oval ends up at over 60.00$ I expect I'm in for a good 200.00 in track for two ovals, switches (points), and some long spurs for storage.

Any ideas? Experiences with various track brands on your layouts? etc.

Thanks

The biggest majority of UK modellers will be using Peco track and for outdoor use this is almost always what is recommended and used. I believe that Peco provide a warning regarding it's longevity where use is subject to extreme sunlight/temperatures but for normal useage it is ideal. We have members successfully using Peco track in countries far and wide and so I'd have no problems recommending it for your use. As far as costs go then I doubt there will be much difference between major brands and it's surely worth any extra pennies to get something you know will last. Look out for second hand Peco flexi which can often be used successfully.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update, and also to get into the habit of posting related items in related threads, I found out the best way for US modellers to protect track is to paint it. Atlas track won't hold up. It is mostly because the little plastic ties that grip the rails are tiny and will break down.

I had a guy at my local train store advise me to use Artists matte medium mixed with some pigment like a nice rusty brown. It colors the track to a weathered color, but it blocks UV. It also helps bond the track to the track base so it has a second function.

Worth noting is that we are in a dry climate here. It's semi arid so almost desert like' if you walk into a field you are likely to either step on a cactus or have to walk around a yucca plant. So this method may not work for modellers in damper climates. It would be worth testing out though. I think matte medium dries permanently like acrylic paint.

Matte medium is just a carrier for pigment, so it will dry and work just like acrylic paint. Good tip - thanks traingeekboy :)

Although, looking how much sun we've had today, I've not convinced UV damage is going to be a problem for me :lol:

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...