My cobbled together layout

traingeekboy

The best thing about being part of the oo garden railway site is getting packages in the mail with second hand train stuff. My platoform ends and steps arrived today. What a nice little treat!

ba14eagle said:

TGB

Ive got a load of ramps and steps (which fit on the rear) if you would like some :?: PM me.

Thank you thank you thank you sir. :)

http://www.tri-ang.co.uk/UtilityVan.htm

Is this the Utility van that you are looking for, because if it is I do have one that I am selling. It has the horrible big plastic wheels from Tri-ang (as per the first green van) but has the later Hornby coupling as per the very last picture, the only problem is, its previous owner repainted it from Red to blue, not the best paint job either but its a good runner for its year.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated on this item as its of no further use to me.

Ian

How does this happen? I bid on some stuff. Really low bids just for kicks. I left the house to go to the bar and watch the 49ers game; they lost. :(

I get home and check my ebay out of curiosity and I won both things for almost the opening bid. It's like the universe wants me to do British outline 70's-80's toy trains.

Check it out, here are links to my wins.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110811875613?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_786wt_805

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250974769637?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_500wt_1054

A new car and a train station and a water tower and a signal tower for nearly nothing. i honestly wasn't even that into the car it was just a lark.

Guess I got a semi operating mail coach huh? I had a hunch it was one because of the funny operating door thingy, but there was only the one picture. Given a full bank account it wouldn't even be on my must have list but 2.50$ for a train car is less than a pack of smokes here.

I'm really excited about those structures, it'll make a for a quick station scene on the layout.

I will see about the wheels. I'm sort of a purist now; sort of a reverse purist as I am into older OO models. If they run ok I'll just leave em.

traingeekboy said:

Guess I got a semi operating mail coach huh? I had a hunch it was one because of the funny operating door thingy, but there was only the one picture. Given a full bank account it wouldn't even be on my must have list but 2.50$ for a train car is less than a pack of smokes here.

I'm really excited about those structures, it'll make a for a quick station scene on the layout.

I will see about the wheels. I'm sort of a purist now; sort of a reverse purist as I am into older OO models. If they run ok I'll just leave em.

Ill keep my eyes open for some for you :)

There's another exhibition coming up soon so cross ya fingers

I had started a thread to put links for classic stuff like that. Was going to put your link on that thread so we'd have one place to find recources, but I can't find my thread. :lol:

Well we're getting close to summer fun again. Only a couple more months and we'll all be posting pics of progress on our layouts. Last night I came home and there was a package on my door. Well not really on my door, the postman had left the box sitting on top of my layout planks well within reach of anyone who might want to steal it. the location of the items was appropriate, but I breathed a sigh of relief to find the box still there.

when I opened the box I got my first ever look at three hornby structures. The water tower, booking hall, and switch tower. interesting models all. Printed brickwork and details to be added; even a little baggage cart and motor. i liked that a lot. As usual my plans are a moving target, and having those structures has changed my mind and my main station ( was going to be italian) will be British profile. Sort of a sleepy station on a busy mainline somewhere.

First up on my agenda is to paint the detail parts and doors and awnings in a consistent set of colors to bring all the structures into one overall look. Right now they don't really all fit together as one station. The pre-builts are ok, but they do need paint on the plastic parts. My waiting room is yellow plastic and would stick out like a sore thumb next to those prebuilt structures. I may have to make a pilgrimage to caboose hobbies and take a structure with me so i can match up a good color for the details.

the site won't let me embed it.... here is a link to the album. err... ok this time I hit reload and I can see the picture... oh well just in case there's a link to it too.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1057668481042562162NEwvXn

A link for a all the pics of the layout.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1057668091042562162JekRtc

I really liked this paint scheme I came up with for my first incarnation of the Glimmering and Suspicious River. It was 2x4 feet and had a little yard and some industrial spurs and two long spurs for on layout staging of trains. It was a basic US style branch line switching layout. I had planned to use car cards for operation.

Funny thing, i had trouble with my track as I was using Peco switches and flex with smaller than standard curve radii. Now I would know that I just needed to relay some track, but like an idiot I decided that the layout was flawed so I just got frustrated and chucked the whole thing in the trash. Yep switches and track and baseboard and scenery that was nearly complete; probably 100.00$ worth of track in all. i have no idea why i didn't just throw it in the attic like all the really useless crap I keep around to clutter my life. It would be a perfect layout right about now. Stupid stupid stupid me.

Anyway, how do you guys feel about that light blue and white for wood trim and doors. etc.

was leaving to go to dinner and the postman had dropped off yet another package for the layout. The old triang operating parcels van showed up. Hmmmm... not quite what I had in mind but oh well. I have other goods vans I seek now. I saw a 4 wheel one a while back. i will hunt for that now.

Got another piece of stock from a forum member day before yesterday. I also have my new structures that need a showing on the planks.

Would dearly love to get out and run the LMS loco with my four cars but we are being hammered by a blizzard that should dump around 2 feet of snow here. Maybe when it stops falling tomorrow I will brave the cold and brush off the tracks.

I have always kept my latest stock at hand. Either on the bedside table to look at before going to sleep, or in this case my new/used utiility van sits on my dinner table where I do most of my sitting. (I'm not much for couches they just make my back pains worse.) I suppose I'm like a child that way, yet looking at trains is very good mood therapy for me: it just cheers me up. I gotta say, the more I look at this old Triang (is it Try-ang or is it Tree-ang?) the more i like it. Right now it has the old bogies and I can see what Grockle meant by needing to replace those. And yes it has a poorly done home re-spray, but it's not that bad. Actually it seems ok.

Thanks Grockle for the car!

I decided to venture to the basement to seek out the paint I need for my structure repaint. I had my paints in a little box. It was all organized. Of course I can't find the darn box! But... I did find a unopenned pack of scribed wood for the roof on the tower and a pack of strip wood. So I have the roof materials ready to go. I'm thinking of using 400 grit sand paper for my roofing; kind of like scale roofing felt. It should be fairly weather resistent.

I think the new paint should look really nice on the structures, yet the more I look at the original paint, I just want to repaint everything. So I suppose I will be turning these models into something more than what they are. I do have a thing for painting and weathering kits, but I tend to get so obsessive about it. It may be months before they're ready for the layout! :)

On another note entirely, I seem to have caught a cold. Spent most of yesterday with shivers. I took a hot hot hot bath and climbed back into bed at 5pm for a much needed warm nap. I seem to be better this morning. No shivers just sniffles, so i'm past the worse of it.

traingeekboy said:

Thanks Grockle for the car

My pleasure Griff. Enjoy it, as I have also just aquired another one of the same but this time I have put new backmann bogies on it and its now sitting with the rest of my rake of TPO's and Syphon G wagaons.

Ian