My cobbled together layout

traingeekboy

I have looked at it, turned it in my hand. set it on the table and gotten my face down to eye level. i'm like a little kid when I get a new train thing.

Today has too much stuff that needs doing but I will get it on the tracks as as soon as I can and take pics.

While examining the loco I noticed some differences between it and my american ones. There is no headlight. Is this a standard feature or is it that the model just didn't come with one? Also, it appears British locos didn't have bells. i'd never known this before. Come to think of it I think FS locos didn't have them either.

Overall it's a nice engine. Very beautiful shape. Very precise lining too. The detail is not to todays standards but at arms length running on the layout who can tell? I am incredibly pleased with this locomotive.

• 2 weeks later...

We had 60 degree weather today. 15 minutes with the track rubber and I was up and running. A neighbor stopped by and chatted. Really nice guy but he really likes to talk. He's native american and he has a sweat lodge in his back yard. seems the city tried to stop him building fires in his back yard, but his fires are for religious purposes so he does them anyway and they never came by again. So it was nice talking to him but he sort of interfered with my moment. Ran a few laps and shot some video.

I am not sure how prototype it was. A fowler with a guard van and what looks like half baggage car and half first class. for me it was perfect. :)

I also spent some time contemplating what to do next on the track. I may just add a passing track in my future station area. It's sort of a toss up for me; a double oval would allow for running two trains at once, but a single track with a cross over for two ovals would double my mainline and require attention to keep trains from hitting. Maybe i'll combine both.

Oh and I seem to have won a little toy train station for the british part of my layout. What can I say, it was very inexpensive. Now I just need some platforms to go with it.

traingeekboy said:

He's native american and he has a sweat lodge in his back yard. seems the city tried to stop him building fires in his back yard, but his fires are for religious purposes so he does them anyway and they never came by again. So it was nice talking to him but he sort of interfered with my moment.

LOL you Americans

I can imagine the uproar here if they stopped us lighting our saunas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauna

Thats station was a bloody good buy!

Funny how he says vintage as its still producde by Hornby.... Tho I think its been in production since the 70s

it's sort of interesting that my neighbor has a sweat lodge.I learned a lot of new things about it today. He is the fire keeper for the sweat lodge: the person who builds the fire according to specific order of log placement as well as always 28 stones that I think is connected to the lunar cycle. There is also someone who takes care of the ritual herbs and pours water on the stones once they are inside the lodge that is made of woven willow. I think a medicine man is also present.

He also makes quilts with circular patterns. A local craft magazine is doing an article on him. He uses traditional forms having to do with colors for the cardinal points and circles.

Yeah I think the seller claims the station is from the 70's. A vintage piece for collectors that will be cut off the sprues, assembled, and then placed in the great out doors to age properly. :lol:

traingeekboy said:

Yeah I think the seller claims the station is from the 70's. A vintage piece for collectors that will be cut off the sprues, assembled, and then placed in the great out doors to age properly. :lol:

I Like your style

I've currently dismantled a mint Triang Blue Pullman, pulled the drive gear and wheels off and refitted modern wheelsets and a Hollywood foundry motor bogie.

I'll be fitting DCC control, LED lighting in the coaches and possibly fitting sound

Sacrilidge some might say

My platform waiting shed arrived today. Very cute. I will have to spray the whole thing with paint and then paint the window frame, perhaps even glaze them. I will also be doing the same to the plat form section as it needs brick color on the bricks.

It's pretty old looking, the decals were a little crusty from sitting in the box.

We have snow again and cooooooollldddd. Brrrr...

Well the since the layout is under snow again there is shopping to be done. My newest train obsession is this SR utility van:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tri-ang-Hornby-00-Gauge-R-226-S-R-Utility-Van-Coach-Blue-BOXED-/180776064198?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2a1717d4c6#ht_4324wt_836

Gonna have to wait for one to come up on the US ebay since shipping is way too much from the UK for me. Not sure when this came out or if it's a proper color but i like it. I've always liked mail cars and baggage cars in general.

Blast, just read you post as I had them all out this morning at a local car boot sale, but it will give me something to do over the next few days, dig it out from the depths of the trailer as its buried amongst a load of other rolling stock that is up for grabs.

Ian