traingeekboy

My cobbled together layout

Used to hang wet washing out in Moscow at minus silly temperatures. Within 20 minutes it was solid. Bring it in and stand it in the corner. When it thawed, it was dry.  Wife started moving furniture one day and rolled the carpets up. Out into the snow and laid them out. Shovelled snow onto the carpets and brushed it in with a stiff brush. Then hung the carpets over a fence and beat the snow out, before taking them back indoors again. I have never seen such clean and fresh smelling carpets as that day. She did it here in England a few years ago. Into the front garden. Neighbours all thought she had lost the plot.

• Like 1

Not a lot to report. I am slowly assembling my baggage car and that is going well.

full&d=1549227145

I've got two side walls nearly done. The end walls are cut to size. Just need a moment of peace and quiet to complete this car model. 

I keep trying to find an old 4-4-0, or 2-4-0. I am actually more fixated on the 2-4-0. People just go crazy over them on the auction site. Even a broken ones fetch more than I think I should pay. 20+ dollars and then you add 10 dollars for shipping, and it's ridiculous. I just need a broken old clunker, or two to play around with. Grrr..... 

The Rio Grande railway had this:

Baldwin_2-4-0,_Denver_&_Rio_Grande_Monte

I think I could make a loco sort of like that with one of these old Pocher brand bowker locos.

s-l1000.jpg

In my version I would simply cut off that gold jewelry on the top of the boiler and move the bell there. Then I would raise the cab a bit for the bigger scale I am doing. Some paint and it would be perfect.

I actually like the obnoxious large smoke stack, it just screams 1890's. 

Edited by traingeekboy

I had a seller reduce some figures from O scale to 1/55th. Had to purchase them, as I really needed to see how my models stood up to actual people.

I can now say that I am very much into this 5.5mm USA prototype 3' gauge modeling.

Spring is here too. Was eyeing ye olde garden railway and considering a new track arrangement so I can run my new models. 

Resized_20190323_183607.jpeg

Resized_20190323_183622.jpeg

Resized_20190323_183321.jpeg

Resized_20190323_183417.jpeg

Resized_20190323_183530.jpeg

:D:D:D

yeah, I will need to make them visible.

My favorite paint for doing figures is Humbrol. It brushes on nice and thick and often only needs one coat. I can't seem to source it locally anymore. :(

9 hours ago, traingeekboy said:

..My favorite paint for doing figures is Humbrol. It brushes on nice and thick and often only needs one coat. I can't seem to source it locally anymore. :(

And then when you find somewhere that sells it there's often the problem that they can't send it via the postal system! Amazing that a little 15ml tin of enamel paint can be considered hazardous by some carriers.

Nice figures by the way Griff - they look well at home against the engine.

• Like 1

I keep trawling the Denver Public lLbrary digital collection. My focus is Gilpin County and the Gilpin Tramway.

This image caught my eye. It is just so vertical and full of little stone retaining walls.

Use the zoom bar and then grab the photo to explore it more closely.

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15330coll21/id/11912/rec/203