My cobbled together layout

traingeekboy

Had to do some more work on the railway. It's off to a good summer so far, and hoping to get in an hour a day just piddling around, but it adds up. As I mentioned in previous posts the railway room was looking pretty bad. I went out and tidied up after shoveling more dirt around. Not exactly progress photos, yet a great deal of the garden modeling requires breaks to straighten out the non railway related areas. It's all in preparation for more advanced projects.

gg16.jpg

gg17.jpg

While climbing under the layout in preparation for more platform lights, I stumbled upon something from last year. Good thing I wasn't doing anything on the layout last year, as it was right under my station.. he he he

While doing the last post the site didn't like this pic, so I'll try again...

gg18.jpg

Just a shot of the other benefit of summer; which is free, or mostly free dinners grown in the back yard. I'll have to get some shots of this years chaos garden at some point for my members ramblings section.

Hi Griff,

What's that chaos plant you are talking about is a herb plant, gee you were sure lucky about finding that nest, we have problems with wasps and mainly hornets in summer, looks like a bee hive.

I intend to stay out of the cold wind in winter, suffer with asthma, don't know how I will go with your cold winters, asthma is ok at the moment, not looking forward to when the August westerly winds hit they can get very cool.

Just learnt on how post the bigger pics from my gallery album, can you load on bigger pics that way.

Nice job with the pavers, not an easy job cutting them either.

Tony. :D:D

Griff, those scrub pads how big are they, can't get the bigger ones over here cut down to size and in a pack of ten, I might try my loco hard wear house tomorrow, won't be buying that grass matting now blew the last of my birthday money on another loco from Amazon.com, good price actually and it is DCC equipped and will run on DC so my first DCC loco.

I am thinking about using sand paper and painting them green and use the sand paper for the dirt roads, just jive the roads a spray of white glue and run a few cars over the roads, should give that affect.

Bought a Bachmann Centennial DD40AX running number 6900, was going to buy just a shell from Bachmann, was worried when they said the shell wouldn't fit onto the older stile DD40AX chassis decided to buy complete loco, can have it on my UP's Kennefick Park display with the Big boy 4023 kit I am working on or give it a run, got set of UP's heritage passenger cars it can pull. Got three DD40AX's now, the other two are 6936 and 6922, not sure what I will do with 6922 needs new hand rails.

Tony :D:);):roll::P:mrgreen:

The car arrived today and it is wonderful. Not a perfect scale model like they make these days, but perfect for my collection of 60's-80's trains.

Now for the complaints:

The seller wrapped it very well. But they applied tape to the train box itself when wrapping it with bubble wrap. The tape tore the box in two places leaving some prominent tape marks. Although I am not a collector, it would be nice to have something that has lasted 30 to 60 years undamaged remain so.

gg20.jpg

Exhibit A

Prognosis:

Wonderful model. Dumb seller.

I hope this isn't too negative; back to happy train loving discussions :)

That's a shame about the box Griff because other than that it looks in pretty good condition considering its age. I suppose you should be grateful that they did at least manage to pack it safely and get the coach to you undamaged.

I don't know anything about Continental Railways so you'll have to tell me what the coach is. Is it a sleeping car?

Mick, it's a standard 1st class FS (Italian state railway) coach. I think Lima would mold one generic and then paint in a million different colors to pass it off as every railway in europe. But I am sort of attached to those old moldings as they are what we kids played with. Pretty sure it's the same mold as the ones in the 70's only it has 80's style diaphragms on the ends.

Just stepped out with stapler and spray can in hand and started attaching grass matts. It seems the blue ones faded to a very nice green that works great with the light over spray. The new ones seem overly green to my eyes, but I live in a very dry climate so maybe it is that green in italy.

gg21.jpg

You can really see all the different colors of materials here.

gg22.jpg

Just an end view to show how much a dollar of cheap pads can cover.

gg23.jpg

I also added some torn up filter material as shrubs behind the platforms. The fence was just placed temporarily as it was detached for some other work and needs re-glueing.

gg24.jpg

Added lamp posts on the back of the platforms too.

I think this was maybe an hours work. If I can do an hour a day... :)

Hi Griff, your grass is coming along nicely, I like what you have done with behind the platform fence with the plant growth, are you going to put in any trees in the new area.

How is the paving going, will look good when finished.

Not happy with Amazon, I had to chase them up to find out why my order hasn't been processed, now they are saying it was out of stock I will keep the order open till they get it in, hope so, was a good price even cheaper than eBay, not in a hurry.

Going to my train club tomorrow want to run the new Flying Scot, hope the other parcel arrives today from England, pics to follow, will take pic of my Indian Pacific too.

What's the plans for the long weekend over there, we celebrate Australia day on the 26th of January, are all your main shops closed tomorrow, ours aren't only Christmas day and the morning of ANZAC day.

The biggest I can get in those scrubbing pads is 6 inch square over here.

Tony

I just wrote a long response. Then my computer went strange and I lost it all.

So, about patriotism. I am not patriotic. I am an odd mix of Italian, born there raised partly there, and American. I do not feel either American or Italian. I would describe myself as culturally homeless. Having said that, I stayed up all night reading a book called Warsaw Resistance by Jan Rozinski. He was a friend of my father's and very highly regarded. He was also in the polish resistance in WWII. He spoke a lot about being grateful to his new country. But he too had misgivings, as he felt eisenhower sold out poland to the russians. I tend to find blind patriotism offensive. Like when the USA soccer team, not the best team in the world, gets lucky and everyone is disappointed that they did not sweep the whole thing when they lose finally. And their aggressive throat chants when the games were on... USA USA USA. It makes it hard for me to like my own team. I liked ghana. chile, Italy, and mexico all much better. But I am a soccer fan, so for me it cuts above nationalities, it's about interesting players.

So yeah a big holiday I have no feeling for. But reading that book last night made me realize I am part of the cynical generation. We don't have anything to rally behind as a good national cause. If I had survived WWII like so many people did, I might have a different view. I remember my mother speaking about American GI's who took her and her brother to a toy store after Italy was liberated, and bought them toys. Just some GI's on the street wanting to do something good.

I better leave off the political musing as I do not want to start a political discussion on here. My only point is that it's hard to be a fanatical supporter of anything without good reason.

In other news:

1. My computer had a freak out yesterday. When I started it back up today my mouse wouldn't work. I bought a mouse and now it seems fine. Strange that a failed mouse would crash the system like it did.

2. Our fridge is cold upstairs but hot downstairs. I replaced the thermostat and sensor, but that did not fix it. Up next is a new defrost timer. Everything else seems to be working. But we lost a lot of food. It's amazing how much money goes into condiments like ketchup and mayonnaise.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Griff, how are you going with scratch building the trees, Mick suggested to start a new thread on my 737 fuselage project in Members Workbench, you can comment on the pics.

I have posted the model of the 737 /700 fuselage I have been working and now back into finishing it, been working on he main cradle that bolts the fuselage to the flat wagon and had to cut into the fuselage so it can fi in, after finding the missing pics I was after.

I finely found the link to the you tube on quick time building the 737 from start to finish, awesome.

Tony