My cobbled together layout

traingeekboy

Haven't seen that one before - thanks for posting.

An excellent layout with some very realistic lineside views. The impression is lost in one particular shot where a trains is seen rounding a very sharp curve at high speed but other than that it's all very enjoyable. It appears the layout is an addition to a guest house and that visitors can take their own stock for a run out?

HERE WE GOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Reading about Willo's layout and then watching the video made me have to run on my layout.

I ran trains for a few minutes today just to break in the layout. It was only appropriate that my Lima FS electric would head up the train since it's from my old childhood trains. These shots aren't the best but this is the first train to run the entire line with the exception of the lift bridge where I need to put some soldered jumpers. I must say it had no trouble crossing onto the dead section, so that is heartening, and I had no derailments!

6241766102_0efc4b39ef.jpg

6241249183_6302a5d9ef.jpg

6241248761_71ef8080a4.jpg

How many months have I waited for this?

Who cares about expensive scenic structures when you've got lighting as wonderful as that! This is what outdoor layouts are all about - natural light and a backdrop of vegetation. The layout looks terrific and so does the old rolling stock - must bring back some memories seeing it all running again.

It ran fine once the flux capacitor was fully charged. I have more video's all of super low grade technique but in full HD. I even ran some last night with the bridge wired up. I have zero derailments so far. I am becoming one of those people who posts You Tube videos about everything, be very afraid.

Just posting away from todays running session. Does everyone go crazy once the track is working? All I want to do is run my trains.

6244368519_6a817776f4.jpg

SNCF co co diesel. It has an interesting belt drive inside it.

6244887782_5a97afcc91.jpg

French SNCF P241 ( their designation for Passenger 4-8-2) crossing the lift bridge with a rake of CIWL coaches.

6244888032_d3df9d4919.jpg

Track cleaning equipment. It came in handy today as the squirrels pooped on the layout.

My locos hadn't been run since about 1973, Even then they bearely got used since I never built a layout. They seem to be running in/breaking in as I run them.

Not sure about the P241 as it was bought off of ebay but is from the same era. I had heard on various forums how the Jouef was a crappy runner. I oiled mine and it ran like a charm. It was a tiny bit noisy but nothing like my Limas.

Best of all for today, no derailments!

Great video and best of all, it's really nice to be able to share the experience with you. We've watched you building for the past few weeks and okay, it sounds like a little oil wouldn't go amiss with the old Lima, but it's your baby and those first tentative steps aren't always trouble free.

Keeping the loco's maintained is as important as ensuring the track is as clean as can be. Get hold of the servicing sheets and follow the instructions for lubricating the mechanisms and make sure that the wheels of loco's and other items of rolling stock are cleaned too. Go easy with the oil - less is certainly more where lubrication is concerned and it'll help make the whole experience much more enjoyable.

A really interesting and varied selection of trains on view - keep those pics and vids coming!

Great to see you up and running. It seems to be the way with a newly commissioned OO garden railway, at least in my experience. I've run as much of everything as I can, as have my girls, and my Dad, and my father-in-law! :)

The past two days I tried to reply, but my computer has been having issues. I ended up wiping the whole thing. Lost everything because as I tried to run repairs on it, it just got worse and worse.

Some of my posts that got lost were quite long too. ha ha I do get wordy at times.

Mick, I plan to do a lot of tweaking with my cars and locos once the colder weather sets in. Right now we are having august weather in October; it's amazing. I think standing outside and pondering the layout is about to occur. I have oiled some of the locos already. Also, they are all effectively new. I never broke them in. So over time they should start to run more nicely, but they are still Limas. Lima motors aren't the finest.

Dave, I seem to have lost all energy to build more layout. All I want to do is run trains. At some point I had this idea of a double track mainline, but I seem to have forgotten why I need it right now. I think it's time to unearth the rest of my coach fleet and run some trains.

Running trains is great therapy and I remember that I too lost the urge to keep on building once I had some initial trains running. Go ahead and enjoy it and get back to the construction phase only when you think it's necessary.

In the french DMU video my old cat can be seen in the background. Sadly she passed away on saturday morning. Gonna miss her. Got used to her being around after 17 years together.

Other news... Decided to start on my station platform. It's just going to be a curved piece of ply. I cut the curve and discovered my old saber saw/jig saw just can't produce a decent veritcle cut. Amongst my collection of materials I found a large sheet of thin ply that I will use the the walls of my Italian station. Here is a example of a built up kit, but I plan to do it from scratch because I want it to be unique.

566-654-large.jpg566-654-large.jpghttp://www.artedeltreno.com/img/p/566-654-large.jpg' alt='URL>'>

Pics coming soon.

Perhaps today will be another running day as well.

traingeekboy said:

In the french DMU video my old cat can be seen in the background. Sadly she passed away on saturday morning. Gonna miss her. Got used to her being around after 17 years together.

sorry to hear that mate

Thanks Willo,

I lost two cats recently. I get over it sort of, but I do grow fond of them after years of being friends with them. I lost my big tomcat Twister a couple months ago as well, he just disappeared after about 16 years and was in perfect health. It's strange how attached we become to cats and dogs. I would always tell people they are like my developmentally disabled children.

I rescued an all white adult cat who has been named Elvis not too long ago. I expect he'll start to show up in the background of videos once we begin to let him outside.

On the train front. I sanded my train platform a bit to fix the smoothness issue that was introduced by a shoddy electric saw. My station is supposed to be a Italian station and I expect my platform is too high for it, it'd be about right for UK trains as yours seem to be quite high. I am just moving ahead with the project. I figure that perfectionism was the cause of a lot of wasted time in the past.

Although I might add that I am glad I took my time on reworking the track so I wouldn't have derailments. Trackwork has to be right or this hobby becomes tedious from too many wrecked trains.

Nope I'm in the mile high city; Denver, Colorado. I love this place but miss the sea and am tired of cold winters. I also don't ski. It is impressive, but we do tend to get a two footer and sometimes even four.

With all the cold I took apart my Lima today and figured out why it screamed so much. Needs some spacers between the wheel gears and frame because there is too much play in there. I don't have a wheel puller, gonna have to come up with a cheap fix for that, but as soon as I do I'm yanking those wheels off and putting in a washer to space things out. The motor now runs smoothly.

I also took apart my Jouef diesel. It's not really designed for repair as some of the frame is glued, but I did figure how to squeeze some oil inside the gears. I expect it'll run a little better.

Next up: My Lima DMU that I can't figure how to open up and my Jouef steamer.