My cobbled together layout

traingeekboy

Hi Griff, Sorry about spelling your name wrong , can't seam to fix the error,  what I am after is edit can't find it on the post, I will check out Tyco GI Joe, my late Uncles collection he has a lot of Tyco locos and rolling stock, some Tyco trains are pretty good , some of his locos will get a new lease in life.

Tony from down under

You can call me Grill. I will not be offended. I may not realize you are talking to me though. :P 

full&d=1542402558

I have a train now.  I worked on the loco a bit, but most of my time I spent on this gondola rehab.  Lying underneath the wood veneer is a Tyco Gondola. ;)   I also have a caboose, which will provide the base for a wood model of a Gilpin Tramway caboose. And a tank car which will become a water tank car, with the addition of a bit of wood veneer.

The big question now, is how to rehab that garden railway that's been sitting, or build some kind of portable roundy roundy layout.

My future plans are to get an old Tyco, or Mantua, 4-4-0 and convert it to use on the 55n3 set up. I love 1890's locos. 

• Like 1

On 14/11/2018 at 16:08, aussietmrail said:

Hi Grill, what scale is the loco to run on HO scale track, what is the plans for freight wagons or coaches.

Tony 

Oh, it is an odd scale that has no name. It's 1/55, or 28mm. I think you guys do 5,5. It is not common in the USA. 

The real issue is that On30 is not actually 3 foot gauge. You can use HO scale track and mechs to make either 35mm, or 28mm, for 2' or 3' gauge.

There was no plan for the loco. I made some loose ideas with photos, but I just eyballed everything. It may not fit any scale at all now. ;)  Same for the gondola. It measures out to 26 feet or so in 55n3.

The Gilpin tram caboose was 2' gauge. I am making it and using it with 3' gauge.

4568_240505_410000000.jpg

I am also planning some Gilpin ore cars built to 35mm scale. No one will notice the difference. :P 

9a7be1f5cc110f488adb30d471ddb958.jpg

• Like 1

I had built the side of my plastic Gondola, but it looked wrong. A real gondola is a flat car with a wood floor of planks. Then they add sides onto that. I was missing a wood plank floor, or a simulation of one.

So I removed the lowest beam and started over.

This is the last you'll see of this highly collectible Tyco model ;) 

full&d=1542573279

now it's ready for the new strips of wood.

full&d=1542573279

And here the side is mostly done. It still needs outside vertical posts. 

full&d=1542573279

full&d=1542573279

Hi Griff.

Interesting to see that you have gone up in scale. I've been working in On30 most of this year and doing much the same as you in converting HO models into larger scale wagons and locos. 

My layout was meant to be going outside, but my wife likes it too much and has persuaded me to keep it into the house.  If I get my act together next year I'll work out a away that it can become part of a garden railway.

Here's a pic of a BR Class 06 that I've upscaled into On30.

IMG_6878.thumb.jpg.f95fdf9c8b305e1b24dbf62e4f3dbe07.jpg

cheers, chris

How funny. I was about to get a l ink to post to my comment on your layout discussion and you're over here commenting on mine!

I reread your discussion and see you thinking pretty much the same as myself. The overly scale conscious stuff was getting too serious and a small break was needed. I think my loco and car (s) -- (a second one is on the way now) could likely traverse your curves as I am re-using trucks that have couplers mounted on them.

And no, I am not dropping all my other train interests, just expanding into something different. Besides all my scratch building will pay off on future layouts, since I;d gotten a bit rusty.

:)

Added the ends on.

It will need some side braces. Loosely based on a Gilpin Tramway design.

Folio-23-04.jpg

mine is a bit longer since it is covering a 40' Ho gondola, but the basic feel is there for it.

full&d=1543022687

full&d=1543022687

I just need the outside braces on it and I will do some painting. I won't add the stirrups and brake wheel until later. I want to frame out my free lance water car. Then it's onto a more fine scale attempt on a Gilpin caboose.

:)

Edited by traingeekboy

Looking good Griff, amazing what you can do with rolling stock change them around a bit and add more detail, your loco looks like Chris's On30, you can run S scale on HO scale track too .

It won't take much work to get your old layout up and running, replace track and points where needed  and good clean of the track and bingo back running trains again.

Tony from hot down under

Thanks Tony,

I am having fun no idea where it will all lead. Just fun playing around with things.

he he yeah, I love keeping old odds and ends, you just never know. ;) 

And yes, the old wrist watch gear came in handy. I kept that originally as a load for a N scale Gondola. :P

Edited by traingeekboy

Nice indeed on the paint finish, I wouldn't go any further either where you can stuff up, can't wait to when you start on the tank car.

I have some 00 scale tank cars and they will get a new paint jog to look the US modern tank cars, will then have a good rake of tank cars, I want to build up a modern manifest train,longer the better .

I stumbled across some floor plans of the Denver Union Station, wow even shows the grand stair case to upper levels, I think they turned the station  build old office space into a hotel what I might do,them main ares wont be as wide and lend floors a long.

Starting to cool down any snow.

Tony from down under,keep the good up.

5 hours ago, aussietmrail said:

Nice indeed on the paint finish, I wouldn't go any further either where you can stuff up, can't wait to when you start on the tank car.

I have some 00 scale tank cars and they will get a new paint jog to look the US modern tank cars, will then have a good rake of tank cars, I want to build up a modern manifest train,longer the better .

I stumbled across some floor plans of the Denver Union Station, wow even shows the grand stair case to upper levels, I think they turned the station  build old office space into a hotel what I might do,them main ares wont be as wide and lend floors a long.

Starting to cool down any snow.

Tony from down under,keep the good up.

Snow? This is today. 8 December. Unbelievable. 

48312865_596716754092609_7772982823903821824_n.jpg