My cobbled together layout

traingeekboy

11 hours ago, ba14eagle said:

I'm sure you've checked this, but is there enough turn on the bogies, so as not to foul the frame? 

Good eye and yeah, I am worried about it. The old Tycos have super large bogies and I will cut some excess off of them.

Edited by traingeekboy

• 1 month later...

I am on a limited train space for now with a tiny 30" x 44" layout planned.

Yet, I really want to explore some new ideas for building a layout, one of them being to use real rock broken into thin layers instead of rock castings.

A short trip to the mountains and there is a cut known as rainbow cut where the former D&RGW line runs.

Lots of different colors can be collected there.

Resized_20200924_143411.jpeg

Resized_20200925_153452.jpeg

Edited by traingeekboy

An interesting idea. I'm planning to build a length of rock face along the bottom section of my garden layout where the track bed is elevated on boards but I was looking at a more down to earth method of using something based on traditional cement! Yes, ugly I know, but it's all about creating a natural appearance with something I can get my head around and which will withstand the weather outdoors.

Looking forward to seeing what you can achieve.

2 hours ago, traingeekboy said:

I've seen several layouts where people used real rock. It can be amazing if done right.

I do not know if I can do it right though. LOL Gonna give it a shot.

I'm very interested to see what you can achieve because I'm also incertain if should use real rock or concrete, plaster and paint.

• 3 weeks later...

Building more 1/55 stock...hopper.thumb.png.cd72efa7e10339cddf887919bb45b4d7.png

Ok, time to disguise another Tyco car for my fleet. The scratch built ones take a bit of time and I need a quick cheater as filler. I am not a modeler so much as a creator of facades like thatre props. This should hide well in the small fleet. 

The side steps are a bit over size for HO scale yet look ideal for 1/55.

Got it for 1.95 and now it will be time to modify slightly and add some paint.

8 hours ago, traingeekboy said:

Found this video today.....

Good find - really enjoyed watching it. Sure, it must take a fair bit of maintenance and cleaning but the results are worth it. Ground level layouts just look so natural.

8 hours ago, traingeekboy said:

Found this video today.....

Just been looking through some of his other videos and I'm not so sure I'd recommend this but I suppose it answers all those questions about 'what happens when it rains?"

3 hours ago, mick said:

The base coat alone has completely transformed that wagon. I'd be wanting to rust it up now.

Mick,

I am going to experiment with Hair Spray weathering.

1. Put on a Enamel base coat

2. Spray it with Clear gloss finish

3. Spray with hair spray

4. Add a color coat of Acrylic 

5. Use a 50/50 mix of Water and Window spray to remove some of the paint and reveal the underlying rust color

6. Add some chalks and maybe a wash of black, etc

I have never tried this before. I've seen beautiful results with it. 

The blistering paintwork looks good Griff and although the Bic method might seem a little extreme the slight deformation to the right of the wagon adds a touch of realism too.

I'm not sure what type of paint you're using but with enamels I like to paint little bits on and allow it to go slightly tacky before dabbing it with a piece of foam sponge to add depth to rusty panels. Those nice flat panels would maybe benefit from something like that. It's the type of wagon crying out for some rust!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mick said:

The blistering paintwork looks good Griff and although the Bic method might seem a little extreme the slight deformation to the right of the wagon adds a touch of realism too.

I'm not sure what type of paint you're using but with enamels I like to paint little bits on and allow it to go slightly tacky before dabbing it with a piece of foam sponge to add depth to rusty panels. Those nice flat panels would maybe benefit from something like that. It's the type of wagon crying out for some rust!

I have a lot of layers of stuff on there.

-Humbrol Brown x2 

-Testors Dull Coat 

-Hair spray

-Green Poster Paint

-Dull Coat

-FIRE!!! carbon color and texture added here

-Rust effect using the #1 container from a product called Rust All

As you can see it's built up quite a bit of texture and depth in colors. 

180274782_DetailofFireWeathering.thumb.jpg.e2b3d3c0ef5ab0fec28ce5f4e9f642c2.jpg

Edited by traingeekboy

23 hours ago, ba14eagle said:

I use "Typhus corrosion" from the Warhammer paint range, which has a sand type substance in the paint.

2063973099_B72036O.thumb.jpg.d3869b7ed9f42c6cc1d988c0a8b2a490.jpg

That's extremely effective and so realistic. One of the best examples of a weathered mineral wagon I've seen.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...