My cobbled together layout

traingeekboy

Yeah it's a bit hot. 90 degrees is one thing, but the past two weeks we've had this 98-102 degree weather. You just want to find a shade spot and drink something cold.

Last night it was 90 degrees in the house. Even this morning it's somewhat unbearable.

My vegetable garden is really stunted by this record breaking heat. Almost all my spinach is dead. My chards are all floppy during the day. i try to water at night so that it has a chance to soak deep into the ground.

Well we're in for more according to the news station.

oops, i think they update the image every day. I came back and removed it.

Awww we won't break a record today like we did last week. :shock::shock::shock:

Yep i'm hiding out till this cools off a bit.

Edited by Guest

Yes I was talking to a friend in the UK tonight and he said that at the beginning of April there was a drought but it's rained nearly everyday since then. In fact he was woken up in the night by dripping water that he thought was dripping from a sky light but it turned out to be overloaded gutters.

Here it's cold only 8 degrees outside, well it is night time, but it only got to 15 degrees today so at home it's an ugg boot day. :lol:

Roy.

Hi Griff

It is all too easy to get sidetracked into getting every detail absolutely correct. I work in the IT industry and we spend hours and hours tracking down tiny bugs, usually in obscure bits of code. After a while it becomes obsessive and prevents you from focussing on the big picture.

It is a relief to actually be able to say "I will just throw something together", as I am doing at the moment

traingeekboy said:

This summer has been an obsessive perfectionism that is paralyzing kind of mood. I finally got out there and laid 5 pieces of flex. I am back in the saddle!

Griff-As you are always saying...."we need pictures!"

yeah yeah pictures... I'll try to get some, but right now track is going in nicely and I am going to keep at it. A third of the main is doubled already. Need to buy some points so I can get trains crossing between the lines too.

All of this of course leads me to the need for decoders in all my locos. I guess I'll be hard wiring harnasses into all my locos so they can run where they want.

Of note... I was watching some videos of trains in italy.

This here in monfalcone, a junction where I spent many hours waiting for my second connection train that headed north to Gorizia. I'll have to look at old videos of venice station. I had many train watching moments as a kid there, since in the old days all trains would run al the way into venice over the long bridge.

and also this one caught my eye because I always loved these rounded ETR's.

So where is all this leading you say? Well in the majority of Italian train videos i'm seeing something you wouldn't notice. It looks like they use left hand running. Or maybe they just don't care what side they're on. (they are italians after all. ;) )

Well we've gone from full on desert weather to monsoon season with rain every day. I'm glad I bit the bullet and got some track in on the layout because it made me catch the bug again and I'm wanting to do more out there track wise.

Sunday became a garden maintenance day. We got out and worked some compost in around the base of our plants and built small dike for watering around them. Pulled some self sewn flowers that had become weeds too. Overall garden looks good with a new crop of plants going in for fall harvest.

Don't know if you guys use this over there, but I watered with fish emulsion to get more nitrate for the plants. My soil is really depleted of nutrients and very sandy so it helps to augments with organic matter to get the soil more absorbent and fish emulsion for plant food.

I had it in my head to also work on the layout but it got o dark, so I assembled the main portion of my bridges with 3M water proof glue and small nails. I need to get pictures of my progress up here soon.

• 3 weeks later...

How on earth did I miss those photos? You must have posted during one of my absent periods. I was looking at the self-portrait and my initial thought was that the face was under water and how clever it was that you'd managed to keep the cigarette dry! Great stuff Griff....but now you've ripped all the track up again?

Eh the smoking... started late by accident at 21. Long story short, My friends had clove cigarettes, didn't realize they had tobacco in them. It's a gateway drug for sure, that sweet clove smoke. Then quit for 3 years then quit for 8 years. Probably will go cold turkey one day and quit again.

My main platform was coated with clear finish. It seems to have peeled off and i worry that the ply will die over the winter. I don't have rolls of roofing felt, but i do have some shingles and I was walking down an alley one day and I found a half full bucket of bitumen adhesive for shingles and asphalt stuff. I'll get a picture. the plan is to get out there and get messy one day, but fix that station area up so it never causes me worry again.

I've also won some new coaches. One of them is a yellow and red British coach. Maybe you can tell me what you call that. A fairly beat up GW railway brown coach, and a blue and white with red stripe BR coach. With my other coaches and my King George it should be quite a colorful passenger train. (Red LMS, blue trans pennine, and the rest i described.)