My cobbled together layout

traingeekboy

Was on another forum and kept seeing these nice looking british viaducts.

I got a hair... so I looked at the Metcalfe site. I sort of like their paper structures and they're really cheap. Maybe half the price of a actual structure. The thing is they don't ship to the USA. I may have to pester a fellow garden railway member about shipping it for me.

Now to figure out which ones I want.

Nothing new from me. sort of in a hiatus I suppose, although I do keep telling Sara train weather is coming; once were past most of march I'll be outside with the trains in the front yard, the adult male self imposed public shaming. There is something to be said for hiding the trains in the back yard where no one can see that faraway glazed look on your face, or notice the trail of bubbly saliva flowing out of the side of your mouth.

I did find this woman's layout videos. She had mentioned something about garden lines so I sent her a link. Hopefully we'll be having yet another garden railway on the site. (I am a blatant garden railway promoter!)

On this day, that is celebrated by happy couples at great expense every year, Saint Valentine got his head cut off. So...

Happy cutting off of Saints head day everyone!

I worked a few weeks doing carpentry and earned some extra cash. So I finally broke under the pressure and bought the engine I've been wanting for going on ten years now. Yes I do wait that long to buy things.

This is what I got finally: http://www.tee-usa.com/store/product36569.html

I do love my critters as we call small switchers over here. :)

Well now... Yes those kof locos are very nice little locos. That one looks like a beauty. PM me about it.

Yep I've seen those class 6 ones, they do catch my eye. But the class 8 have a certain tough guy character to them that really grabs me. It's sort of a diesel version of a large tank engine. I keep watching ebay for one of either of those to pop up cheap and I mean cheap! I should add that anytime a diesel switcher has safety stripes that pretty much seals the deal for me. I love safety stripes.

I've always had a weakness for smaller engines. I like big steam too, but small industrial locos either steam or diesel have a certain character to them if you know what I mean. They seem to have actual personalities. I suppose that's what they were thinking when they invented Thomas. but to me they seem like tough little guys not happy dorky goofballs.

But the FS D.214 has been well worth waiting for.

6431844357_d4e9ba2a98_z.jpg

What I really need to be doing is hoarding track. I will be needing around 6 more points and a good 16 pieces of flex for the final track laying push.

Much head scratching over track arrangements has gone on. Deep philosophical debate even; do I make it a double track main so I can run two trains in opposite directions or do I make it a single track over and under double main with passing sidings so I can double my main line run? I am leaning toward the longer double run even though I won't be able to run trains unattended. also, I have friends with American trains that would need a long mainline for running a 70 car train with four locos.

What are your thoughts on my track plan issues?

Well thanks! i will be posting the paypal in the next few days.

So when you said double mainline you mean two ovals one inside the other?

I am also considering combining the two types of mainlines with some points and a over and under part, it is entirely possible to have everything one wants on a garden railway. :)

And I thought I was the only one here with Italian trains. :)

All this is good to know... Well, not so sure about the need to know of yet another Grockle Moving Violation. A Big Boy running in the same train as a D.214? (palm planted on face) Ha ha you crack me up Grockle.

When I first started telling Sara i wanted to do a garden railway she was amused to know how irreverent the garden crew can be when it comes to prototypes; I have to admit that may be a large portion of why I was drawn to the outdoor community. Grockle, you've exceeded even my levels of irreverence. We may have to present you with a trophy. :D

So an actual layout update:

I actually did something for my layout. Spent some time painting on my station structures. They are starting to look much nicer than the out of box look they had. Although, since the brick work is printed and not molded, there are limits to what can be done. I promise to post pics as soon as they are presentable.

i was going to do some spray paint as a base coat on some of the pieces but it's around 33 degrees outside. Spray painting is not very good in cold weather. I have to wait for a warmer day to finish up some pieces.

Run the D.214 with the Big Boy NEVER. What I do is run the Big Boy with a rake of about 10 box cars and then run the D.214 with the same rake, and if any funny comments are made I tell them that the large loco has shrunk in the wash down to this. I do however sometime run the Big Boy towing a Union Pacific diesel CO-CO.

Ian

Oh I get it. I had a language barrier misunderstanding; I thought literally the same train.

Is your big boy the Rivarossi model?

I decided to risk spray painting. It was an old can and the spray head was clogged. things started out badly but I rolled with the punches and used a brush to smooth things out and now it all looks pretty good. Besides all these structures are going out into the elements for weathering anyway.

The Big Boy that I own is a 1976 Rivarrossi. The original motor has been replaced with a rather nice Japanese one and I have had two of the four gearboxes rebuilt using steal cogs instead of the original brass cogs. The reasoning behind this is simple. Its cheaper to replace a burnt out motor than repair the gearboxs if the cogs mesh up badly locking the whole drive train. I have also had the lamps and the front and rear fitted with white LEDS and they only come on when the train is running in the direction that the light should be. ie white light at the front.

Ian

Wow nice loco you have, especially with all the mods you've had done. I think I must have spent hours as a kid drooling over pictures of that in model railroader magazine. Actually, I was looking through my old 1980's Italian language Rivarossi catalog the other day and paused for bit on the page with the big boy. it really is a beast.

We have a static railway museum here in denver. The Forney museum actually has a big boy on display. Sadly it isn't running. But who knows, since it's sitting indoors now, there may be something still there for a restoration some day.

speaking of UP steam engines. I did this video loop a while back with some footage I shot of 844.

hmmm... i can't seem to use the embedding code so here's a link:

http://www.viddler.com/v/c9cc155e

Oh I do love the postal service's tracking website:

Detailed Results:

Processed at USPS Origin Sort Facility, February 19, 2012, 9:53 pm, DENVER, CO 80217

Acceptance, February 18, 2012, 9:50 am, NORTH SALEM, NY 10560

Electronic Shipping Info Received, February 17, 2012

It's in Denver now. 8-)

Oh oh...

Your item is out for delivery at 8:51 am on February 21, 2012 in DENVER, CO 80223.

Detailed Results:

Out for Delivery, February 21, 2012, 8:51 am, DENVER, CO 80223

Sorting Complete, February 21, 2012, 8:41 am, DENVER, CO 80223

Arrival at Post Office, February 21, 2012, 5:40 am, DENVER, CO 80223

Processed at USPS Origin Sort Facility, February 19, 2012, 9:53 pm, DENVER, CO 80217

Acceptance, February 18, 2012, 9:50 am, NORTH SALEM, NY 10560

Electronic Shipping Info Received, February 17, 2012

YES YES YES YES YES...