My cobbled together layout

traingeekboy

Hi Griff and Roddy, wow, that is a very nice pic of the water ,I could sail my model boat in that water very calm water, would get rough with strong wind.

Nice build Griff, are you planning to have a coach and have a mixed freight train , will you be repainting the loco  and what colour.

It is pouring rain here at long last rain through to next week and back to hot weather again Friday.

Tony from down under

Well, two things. The Gilpin tramway was built up around a valley. The slow geared locos would take longer to get to some places than you could walk it yourself. I have always liked Narrow gauge trains, but to do it "The right Way" costs money. So all of this is just a fantasy train. I am trying to keep things somewhat simple and fun for now.

Scratch building also takes time. I will try not to think much beyond my next build with the Gilpin caboose. Well, ok... What I will need then is a small string of Gilpin ore cars.

And... The Gilpin never had a box car, but I would like a box car.

Here, go to this link of thumb nails, then when you click one there is a zoom bar and you can drag around the images. You can even zoom in and see people's faces. 

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/search/searchterm/gilpin tramway/order/nosort

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Griff, coming along nicely, have you done any research on the loco to get the correct handrails same the the break van.  I have  been looking at pics of the ship I am modelling, the handrails is going to be a challenge, a  lot of scratch building especially on the stanchions.

Keep the great work up, Camdale is on hold for a short while , will be catching up on  unfinished projects.

Tony from down under

handy to have blue prints, I have DWG files on my ship getting them printed out is an issue and having to scale up lot of work. I calculated onto paper first but now   don't do that straight onto the cardboard .

I am working on a DD35/B loco I cut up four loco shells to make one, will finish it when I get home m=from hospital, hopefully today, got scale drawing of that loco and need to make my own hand rails as Athearn didn't have the loco.

Tony from down under

Decades of buying trains and collecting things and I got very little done. Now I have this CRAP BUILDING approach and I can't seem to stop. I just find a plan I like online and I am off.

I got one of these: bac13502_285.jpg

and I am using just the trucks, couplers and frame as the basis for my new build.

It should be loads of fun. 

Resized_20190123_204532.jpeg

Edited by traingeekboy

Afternoon Griff, how is the weather over there being kind , we have being going through a bad heat wave , South Australia hit the worst of it 46 degrees in Adelaide, Port Augusta hit 49 degrees a lot of houses with out power . Up here not so bad but bad enough, yesterday hit 37 degrees, seams to be cooler today with dark cloud cover could be some rain it, fingers crossed.

That combined baggage coach is going to be an interesting build indeed, I will keep a close eye on the progress, I to am looking at building some coaches out of card, seen  it done save some money in RTR passenger cars some can v=be very expensive. Actually I am looking at paper trucks buses and containers, seen some trailers , they are a download costing $6 US about $8AU

Tony from cloudy down under 

Well, we had snow and 20 degree weather, so it's a but rough today.

The builds worth doing Tony. I have never made so much train stuff in such a short time in my entire life. I am finding it very fun. I'm still planning other layouts for all my other trains, but right now I can;t seem to stop building all this home made stock.

Hi Griff, so it snows at 20 degrees didn't know that,thought it had to be colder, the condition must of being right then, never seen snow , how in the next few years .

Once you build the first carriage,  you want to build more, I am getting into card modelling, it is cheaper than buying plastic kits quarter of the price, I am looking at different loads for my ship when it be built and fully out cardboard sheeting 1 mm thick.

At the moment I am working on a DD35/B loco, going to finish it being a few yeast since I looked at it, perfect since I am not doing a any heavy work on Camdale, I did finish the corner spiral module today when it was cooler in the morning.

Tony from hot down under

I imagine Griff means 20 degrees Fahrenheit which is the way they measure in USA. That's minus  -6.666667degrees Celcius/Centigrade.

Zero degrees C = 32 degrees F (freezing/melting point of water/ice)

End of physics lesson!  😊

Edited by Riddles

Hi Riddles, thanks for that, we are Celcius  if it drops down to  -5 celcius the pipe will freeze and ice on the cars  outside, the last couple of winters have being mild, I think it should be the same reading world wide.So when you guys get up in the very high  double digt Fahrenheit, works out to our 36 degrees  34  Celcius degrees today 

Thanks for that Riddles.

Tony from down under

8 hours ago, aussietmrail said:

I think it should be the same reading world wide.So when you guys get up in the very high  double digt Fahrenheit, works out to our 36 degrees  34  Celcius degrees today 

Just because Napoleon wanted everything in units of 100?  No.  Bring back Imperial and give the kids some proper mathematics to think about.

• Like 1

Hi Griff, yeah a bit chilly, that is where our water pipes freeze and ice on the cars outside, it has been three winters back, we have had mild winters, if you have heard of Stanthorpe  QLD it actually snows there up in the mountains, have to be lucky to pick the days when it is going to snow, next winter we might go for the weekend, have never seen snow.

Tony from warm down under

Hello Griff, how are you handling the cold where you are, heard the east coast is copping it bad as low as 50c is -18f  at the moment schools closed, 6 have died and worse to come,yet over here the opposite we are copping 34 degrees  today just had a couple of showers of rain yesterday .

That was a good link tunnel police replaced by speed cameras, if you want to model in that period be a good scene to model.

Not doing too much out side too hot under the pergola, in the afternoon hope to paint the ship's main deck first section.

Keep warm Tony from down under 

Denver got a bit of snow and cold, but it was in the 50's today. I did call a friend in Minnesota and he said that they expect the temperature to drop to -27 overnight. No thanks, they can keep that kind of cold up there. ;) 

He told me people everywhere are doing the thing where they take a cup of hot water and splash the water in the air and it immediately turns to snow.