Romford Garden Railway

JamesRGR

Hi all,

It’s been a slow few days on the RGR, but some important developments have been made, so I thought it was time for the first public update!

Firstly, the track plan has been finalized, and approved by the rest of the house. This is effectively a loop round the garden, mainly double track with a three track section near the sheds that can be used as either a loop to store stock in, whilst another train passes, or can be used as a test track on DC power. There is going to be a model village in one corner of the garden with a station, having a crossover at each end for locos to run around, and also a bay platform to add some operational interest.

On the rolling stock front, I currently have two units, a NSE class 121 “bubble car”, and a class 117 in BR green. Both of these trains were stored for a number of years before coming into my ownership, and are in need of a good service before being used. I also have a Hogwarts Express train that is currently under repair, but nothing major. All these trains are in the process of being fitted with DCC.

To control the layout, I will be using DCC, connected to a computer running JMRI (program subject to change), in turn connected to a router with a wifi network to connect two iPhones and an iPad to do the driving via the WiThrottle app.

The forum won't let me post photos in this thread, because I am used to them being re-sized for blogs automatically, but some are http://romfordgardenrailway.wordpress.com/' rel="external nofollow">HERE. I'll post them on here tomorrow.

Ta all,

James

Hi James and welcome to the forum.

You certainly have a nice empty canvas to work with there, and you'll find lots of inspiration on this site. Have you decided on your track base base yet ?

There are two or three very successful methods employed by other members on the forum, and looking at your garden, either of them could suit. Let's hope you can get started soon as we're already half way through the year, and it looks like it'll be Christmas before I get started. :lol:

Looking forward to some photo's of your progress...

Duncan

Hi James

The current photos of your garden remind me of how my garden used to look before I started building the Selby Garden Railway. Now with the addition of the railway, the vegetable plot and the siting of the weather station I sometimes wonder what on earth I've done - where has all that nice open space gone :shock: That's the beauty of keeping a photo diary, you can look back on how things used to be and compare the situation today with how it appeared at an earlier date. I'd be really interested to know what my little dog thinks about it all - I can sense he's not too keen.

You've got a nice secluded space available to you. I'm not sure what height you are considering building the trackbed but I'd be tempted to run it through those outbuildings if that's at all possible. That would give you some undercover storage area and cause less of an intrusion into the garden itself. However, as you've already stated that the plans have been finalised and gained approval of the household I assume that isn't to be the case so I'll be interested to see what you've come up with.

Hi all,

For the track base, I am intending to use Micks method, although the section by the conservatory is going to have to be at ground level. Compromise with the rest of the house and all that... Don't want to step over it to get into the garden...

The shed I'm going to use will be in the position of the one nearest the conservatory and gate, but since that one is rotten it needs to be replaced. It would be nice to run it through both buildings, the one furthest away from the house is not mine, and is full of junk. Even if it did go through there I'd be too worried about someone putting something ontop of it/treating it like an extra shelf/something falling on it etc. The current plan is to have a siding coming off the loop and three track section into the shed, it would be nice to have it a part of the main railway, but I think the compromise is going to have to be to made again, this time with curves. Once in the shed the trains are going to run onto shelves that are "plugged in" to the railway, get unplugged and then put on shelf brackets for safe storage. Brilliant if your planning to have lots of stock that does not change formation often!

And before anyone starts being pedantic, the existing shed at the end of the garden is going to have it's door moved to the side, because otherwise it would open onto the track :D

Hi james,

All sounds really good, looking forward to seeing updates! Going by the name I'm guessing you're in Romford? is that essex or dorset? If Essex, Jaybee and I are not far from you - i'm in lakeside and jaybee's in hornchurch, we're working on getting his one up and constructing as well, with the full approval of his wife, who is just as much into trains as us!

Hi James welcome from 12,000 miles away. I've learnt to shout. I have to try and get use to how small English properties are. My late second cousin used to live in a duplex in Sittingbourne and take five normal steps and you had walked across the back garden.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Unfortunately during the couple of weeks since my last post, very little progress has been made yet again.

In the garden, areas have been marked out for track, but before any is laid, one shed needs the door moving and another needs to be demolished. On the rolling stock front more progress has been made though, the Hogwarts Express is now all put back together, DCC fitted and in traffic and a new addition to the fleet today was made in the form of ONE livery 156 416.

This unit is very nice, and was obtained for a very good price via an old school friend working in Hobbycraft! I think the coupling method on this unit is much better than the standard type, but on first impressions seems more involved if you want to couple/uncouple frequently. For this reason, I will look into keeping this excellent design in the middle and on the cab ends installing the "classic" coupling interface, making it easier to join units/split units at stations.

Photos on my blog, and the stock list page has been updated. Both these links are now in my signature.

James

Hi james,

All sounds really good, looking forward to seeing updates! Going by the name I'm guessing you're in Romford? is that essex or dorset? If Essex, Jaybee and I are not far from you - i'm in lakeside and jaybee's in hornchurch, we're working on getting his one up and constructing as well, with the full approval of his wife, who is just as much into trains as us!

Indeed, I live in Romford, Essex. Anything railway related that is not fixed down will be taken inside at night :lol:

If either of you want a hand, or to borrow any stock feel free to give me a shout. I'll PM you my phone number.

I have the Northern Rail version of the 156 and it is indeed a good model (however the 153 is even better). I think it was a Lima model that Hornby added to their stable when they took them over and that is the reason for odd coupling.

I've added running and tail lights to mine which I now find very helpful when running outdoors, I can tell which way it's going to set off before I slide the throttle.

Hi Chris,

Yes, I assumed that too. I think Hornby should extend this to all internal couplings on units, especially longer ones with power at one end only, would get rid of the unrealistic lengthening when stopping!

James

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry for the lack of updates, but me and my girlfriend might be moving soon, and I'm starting a new job next month too, so obviously I've decided there's not much point starting a garden railway only for it not to be finished/have to be taken apart again (easier said than done) a couple of months later!!

James

Sorry to hear that James. I agree, there's little point starting to do anything if you're unsure of where you're going to be so I hope that you get things sorted out real soon and feel able to contemplate construction once again. Hope you can manage to drop by now and again and keep up with what everyone's doing on here.

Good luck with the new job next month!