Laying track on stone

Jaybee

Hi All,

I'm very new to this hobby, but hope to soon to have my very own oo gauge garden railway I'd be very grateful for any advice you can offer.

I intend laying my peco nickel silver flexi track on my straight stone walls (borders) which are about 30cm high. Can/should I lay the track directly on to the stone wall or should I use WPB Ply on the stone and then run the track on that? I would prefer to lay it direct to the stone, but if it is better to use WPB Ply (varnished) can it be 6mm or would it warp? Should it be more than 6mm?

What glue should be used to either stick the track to the stone or the ply to the stone? Is gurilla glue ok?

Thank you

Jaybee

Hi Jaybee and welcome to the OO gauge Garden Railway forum.

I don't think there's anyone currently on the forum who has their track laid directly onto a masonry base but I don't see any reason why you couldn't do that successfully. The only problem you will have, as you've already pointed out, is how best to attach the track. Fixing with some kind of adhesive would seem to be the best option but may render any future track alterations difficult - although that might also apply to track fastened to a plywood or other wooden base that has subsequently been ballasted. With the slight movement I have experienced in my wooden structured base, I've been glad that alterations and realignment of the track has been a simple matter but that's another story and mainly down to my inability to get it right at the outset.

I would think that a solid masonry base would be ideal and that the track could be tacked in place with a waterproof adhesive before being ballasted also if desired. In fact it sounds like a pretty good idea to me so I'm hoping that some other member(s) will come along and suggest the best kind of adhesive to use. Do you have a photo of the planned site for the track?

hi jaybee i think stone is a cracking idea,and my input is the glue,(power bond 806) this is an excellent glue best ive ever used and i can say i think ive used most

and this tops all,i got mine from a model show a bit dear but it would even hold 2 bricks togeather ;)

willo said:

hi jaybee i think stone is a cracking idea,and my input is the glue,(power bond 806) this is an excellent glue best ive ever used and i can say i think ive used most

and this tops all,i got mine from a model show a bit dear but it would even hold 2 bricks togeather ;)

Sounds like good stuff - there's going to be close to 100ft of double track on this railway, is it easy enough to handle, or do you think it can be watered down for easier ballasting?

willo said:

not sure you can dilute ive not tried but at £14 for30gram i thought of only spotting the track were the holes are would be sufficient and easy, :)

Good thinking.... now how to fix the ballast onto the stone........? any ideas what would be a good permanent solution outside for that?

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd wrap this thread up - our final solution is covered in the construction thread in Member's Garden Railways:

Concrete rubber paint on the brickwork to provide a non-porous surface for adhesive to stick to, then dabs of Gorilla glue on straights, one spot on each sleeper on curves.

• 1 month later...
bazzanoid said:

Just thought I'd wrap this thread up - our final solution is covered in the construction thread in Member's Garden Railways:

Concrete rubber paint on the brickwork to provide a non-porous surface for adhesive to stick to, then dabs of Gorilla glue on straights, one spot on each sleeper on curves.

How is the glue holding up? I'de love to see some close ups or even a sequence of pics of how it's done. Would be a great demo for the how to section.

• 1 month later...

Wow it's been a while since i last logged in.... lots of catch up to do!

The glue is holding up well, and expands out massively with just a little dab. Much of its application is covered on our construction diary, http://www.oogardenrailway.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=2105#p2105 specifically this post, but when we get back out once the winter weather breaks a bit and lay more track (jaybee bought another wagon load of it a few weeks ago), we'll take some time to document it's application specifically, and stick it (sorry for the pun) in a thread of its own.