Kirkfield & Warmthorpe Railway

IanR

Thanks Matt. To be honest it seems to mostly look after itself. I think with it being at a high level the wind and rain keep it clean.

In places it has sometimes gone really green with the wet. When it gets like this I spray it with a solution of 'Algon'.

A good selection of fine locos Ian, and your weathering is exemplary! The next section of my railway will be between 2ft and 3ft above the ground and I am in the process of deciding on the best way to proect it from the weather so that I can add some scenery. The rest of the railway had been close to the ground and the scenery has been the garden. So I shall be looking carefully through your earlier pictures for ideas!

Ian

Lovely Loco's Ian, If you did not know otherwise it's hard to tell your layout is outdoors. I wish my garage layout looked half

as neat n tidy. Although things are slowing down a bit for everyone, I'm still managing to find things to do but i reckon if I get it completed too soon

it's going to really be a downer if I'm not able to run trains. I'm not sure yet which is the worst scenario..... trying to build this weather OR not being able to operate what's already built. Got to admit though, it's nice to have an indoor alternative :) .

Brian.

• 4 weeks later...

A merry Christmas to you to Ian and I too love the photos of you locos. The Clans have always been a mystery to me as to why they built them and only 10 not degrading your model of course. Whats the name on you V2?

Roy.

PS I see Hornby has announced a model of 71000 will you buy and weather one of those?

Thanks Roy, hope all is now ok with you. Seems it's not been too good a year for you.

This link has some info on the 'Clans' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_BR_'Clan'_Class_locomotives

The V2 is 60847 'St. Peter's School York, A.D. 627', which I saw quite a few times in my boyhood.The stripes on the nameplate took a while to get looking right. They are plain red when bought but the stripes were a distinctive feature. I managed with masking tape in the end. If I'd had a swear box on the workbench I would have filled it twice! :)

Not sure about 71000, I tend to stick to buying locos that I used to see in my spotting days and I never saw the 'Duke'. Maybe if I see it at an attractive price though...

Hope 2013 will be kinder to you,

Ian.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply Ian, as yet I'm still SO busy with mum. Dad acquired an enormous amount of what can only be termed "junk" so I'm gradually getting rid of it. Things like old cordless drills that no longer work complete with blunt and broken drills. Over there it seems your knee deep in mud at the present time and over here it's a scorching hot summer. It's only just begun (December 1) and already we've had days of over 43 degrees which are mixed with rainy days so the humidity is around 95%. Although I was born in aus I still sweat profusely in the humid weather and garden railway work is not pleasant when it runs off you in rivers.

I hope the Hornby "Duke" doesn't have plastic for the Capproti valve gear as even metal would have to be SOOOOOO thin to represent it.

I also often watch the videos of your railway as they always leave me with a good if envious feeling. No doubt others feel the same.

On the competition that Mick mentioned I say a still photo from your railway would be just perfect for the top left hand corner of each page.

Roy.

• 2 months later...

Just to let you all know that the K&WR is still alive although not kicking at the moment.

I'm waiting for this horrible weather, which seems as though it's going to drag on forever, to go away!

Although we have had some sunny days which have been quite pleasant in the sunshine, my layout is at the back of the house which faces north so is still in the shade at the moment and it's bloody freezing!

I've given it a visual inspection and it looks fine apart from a few small places that will need ballast replenishing, but that's not a problem on a chest height layout! :)

I've had plenty to do indoors like servicing my locos and I've been making modern bench seats which I sell on eBay and I now make them for 'Ten Commandments' http://cast-in-stone.co.uk/

I'm going to build an LNER J27 from a kit too. I haven't built a whitemetal loco kit since the seventies and i just fancy building one again.

Back in the seventies I used to build kits because the RTR offerings weren't very good and also because it was a cheap way of adding locos to your stud.

Not so now... a kit built loco will cost at least 50% more than a similar RTR model, and you'd have to be good to match the quality of the RTR's too! Still, you have the "enjoyment"? - of building the kit. :)

IanR said:

Just to let you all know that the K&WR is still alive...

That's good to hear Ian. I'm lucky because my garden faces SSE and although it was only just above one degree earlier it was actually very pleasant sitting outside in the sunshine on the bench with a mug of coffee. And then you look down the garden and there are still piles of snow that haven't yet melted away!

I'm not sure I'd be able to manage building a loco kit these days. I try to keep any meddling around to the things I can handle easily and see properly but it must be immensely satisfying to know you've built a particular loco yourself. Good luck with that and perhaps you could start a workbench thread to keep us all updated on progress.

Has the ballast on your layout come adrift in any particular place or can you see any reason for it doing so? It's strange how some areas on mine are almost untouched by the weather and yet others have washed away. I wonder if it's my fault for not using sufficient polish (although I doubt that when you see how much I used) or whether it's just some other reason. Certainly I've found that there are some materials the polish won't adhere too as we would hope.

Great looking benches by the way. You should design a banner so you can advertise them prominently on the forum - add it to your signature maybe?

Mick, the ballast hasn't washed away in large amounts but in a few places there are bits missing between the sleepers. No particular reason other than the weather as all the ballast is on roofing felt.

I'm pleased that with the extreme weather we've had through last summer and this winter that this is the only damage. :)

Ian R.

• 3 weeks later...

The K&WR got an annual service yesterday. Cleaned round with the 'Garryflex' block,vacuumed, lubricated point springs with silicone grease, checked point operation and found two motors sticking. Got those sorted and everything seems to have endured last summer and winter ok. A few holes in the ballast to fill but nothing serious.

Hoping to get some more video and photos this year.

Ian R

chris said:

Good review of the Ten Commandments Metal Station Benches in May's Hornby Magazine. I assume the ready made version are your handy work.

Yes they are Chris, I must have made and painted around two hundred of them so far! I also sell them myself on eBay but I haven't any on at the moment as I've been busy making them for Ten Commandments..

Ian.

• 2 weeks later...

I spent the pleasant bank holiday weekend experimenting with and installing the car central locking motors as detailed in the Electrics & Wiring section of this forum.

They are brilliant and I can fully recommend them.

Last week I also decided to build another control box for the layout. The previous one was looking a bit tired due to alterations to it over the last couple of years.

DSCF4366.JPG

DSCF4368.JPG

2013-05-04 16.46.05 (600 x 450).jpg