Kirkfield & Warmthorpe Railway

IanR

Encouraged by your recent post, I got hold of a copy of the 'Right Track 11 - Weathering Techniques" with Tim Shackleton and so far I've watched the first CD of the two included. I'm sure it's not as easy as Tim makes it appear but it does show that only a little application of colour is required to dramatically change the appearance of a RTR loco. The prototype Deltic is greatly improved with some subtle weathering and I'm sure I could muster up the courage to splash a coat of enamel over what is in all effect now a £200 loco! Seriously though, I'll certainly consider getting an airbrush now and having a go with some of the spare loco's and wagons I have available.

Mick

Yes Mick, I too have that DVD and have obtained some good tips from it. I also have the Model Rail weathering DVD with George Dent and that is very good too.

This is the first airbrush that I have had and am quite surprised how easy they are to get used to. I wish I'd bought one ages ago! It is also very easy to overdo things too though!

It is an airbrush and compressor kit by Expo tools. They are £100 but I got one for 80 quid via eBay. The experts seem to recommend expensive ones but I think that this kit is excellent value for money.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/COMPLETE-AIRBRUSH-COMPRESSOR-KIT-CHRISTMAS-PRESENT-IDEA_W0QQitemZ350283829310QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH?hash=item518e8b103e

I also purchased a portable mini spray booth, respirator mask and cleaning pot, all are very useful.

I am making up a rake of eight Pullmans at the moment using the Bachmann Met Camms and Hornby super detailed brakes.

I will be weathering the roofs and underframes and will also probably be changing names and numbers using Precision Labels self adhesive panels. I have already done one and they look very good.

http://www.precisionlabels.com/cr.html

My PC has been playing up lately so if I don't reply to any posts it probably means that it has given up the ghost!

587a47e523c38_PullmanHeron(901x263).jpg.552876ac888ae7edfc6928a044da3a9e.jpg

Edited by Guest

pullman.jpg

Wow, that Pullman looks amazing! What a difference that bit of weathering has made - in fact if that photo had been taken outside on the layout you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between that model and the real thing. Now I most definitely want an airbrush!

Taken a look at the link you included and at the price it would seem to be a bargain for a compressor and dual action airbrush. Might have to treat myself.

Indoor modellers would spend weeks trying to achieve an effective snow scene on their layout. Garden Railways - can't beat em!

Mick

Smashing couple of photos Ian. I'm well impressed at the lengths you go to in order to get the scene looking so realistic. The snow against the platform side looks like it's been manually shovelled away from the tracks and I can't believe you actually went along the platform edge and cleared away the snow for the little people. (Tell me you really did that!) I bet in the spring you'll be out there planting the platform flower beds and hanging baskets!

That's brilliant Ian, gave me a real chuckle! I may start displaying some random photographs on the front page of the website to direct people to the forum area - would it be okay to include some of yours?

Until seeing the photos of your weathering attempts with the new airbrush I wouldn't have dreamed of taking an airbrush to any of my Bachmann Pullman coaches but now I've seen yours, and especially in comparison to mine with their pure white roofs, it has to be done. I want my rake of Pullman's to look like that superb example of yours and if I can do them to that kind of standard then I may also have to do my Gresley teak's. Your Pullman looks like an entirely different coach to mine. I've got around 15 Pullmans and a dozen or so of the latest Gresely teaks so an airbrush would be a worthwhile investment for the coaches alone. Just need a bit of practice before tackling them.

Feel free to use my photos.

Good luck with the airbrush, they are quite easy to use after a little practise, although i've only used mine for weathering so far. Mask the sides of your coaches before you start. I dust the underframes with Railmatch Frame dirt or a mix of Humbrol Matt leather and matt black. The roofs are done with Railmatch Roof Dirt or Humbrol no.32 matt dark grey.

I use white spirit for thinners as per Tim Shackleton's advice.

Always happy to help if I can.

Thanks for the permission to use some of your pics Ian. Not sure what I'll be doing just yet but get the hols out of the way and we'll see.

I may be getting an airbrush soon. Santa's been informed at late notice so I'll have to see what he's prepared to do about it. If not by Xmas it will be shortly afterwards so I'll be back for some more tips and advice etc..

How do you rate the current batch of new releases? Are there any RTR models that take your fancy? Are we likely to see 'Tornado' running over Kirkfield and Warmthorpe Railway metals?

Well I doubt that you'll see Tornado on the Kirkfield & Warmthorpe line, it doesn't fit with my period of late 50's and early 60's. I only tend to buy locos and stock from that era, although I do get tempted by some of the more modern locos and units.

Not sure if I'll be getting one of the new A2's, wish it was an A2/3, but I will definately be having one of the O4's when they're released, and maybe a Craven's DMU.

I'd like to see Bachmann bring out a re-tooled B1 and V2 and Hornby do the same with the Midland 4f

Here's a few of my locos......

42073 (600 x 324).jpg

42863 (600 x 357).jpg

43106 (600 x 250).jpg

44170 (600 x 292).jpg

' (600 x 287).jpg

46145 (600 x 315).jpg

48739 (600 x 270).jpg

' (600 x 331).jpg

' (600 x 302).jpg

' (600 x 267).jpg

That's a wonderful array of motive power. The added details such as loco lamps along with some nice weathering really makes a difference. 1950's-60's and LMS/LNER is a great choice to model and I congratulate you on not being tempted to stray far from that era and region - especially with all these latest offers about. I just enjoy seeing trains running whatever the period or region of origin although it's much more expensive to keep up with.

I'm not aware of the detail differences between the various members of the A2 class although I knew there were sub-classes as you mention. I used to have a number of books on LNER locos but they all went along with my stock some years ago. Likewise, I've been trying to find out when A4 nameplates with red backgrounds should be used as opposed to those with a black background. Would you happen to know?

04 and Craven's DMU will be heading this way and I would also like to see the B1 and V2 retooled. I used to have an old Airfix 4F for which I had bought a Perseverance chassis kit but never got round to doing anything with it and it eventually went along with everything else. Nice loco the 4F.

If I don't get the chance before then, I hope you have a very happy Xmas Ian and I look forward to hearing more possibly during the festive period but certainly into the New Year.

Mick

• 7 months later...

Last year I ballasted a short section of track to see how it would stand the winter weather. It came out unscathed so I have now ballasted all the visible sections. I have used Gaugemaster OO and N gauge ballast mixed in equal quantities. This is applied dry to the track with a teaspoon and teased between

the sleepers with a small paintbrush and my finger. For fixative I have used two applications of Johnson's "Klear" floor polish. This is dropped onto the dry ballast using a pipette. The rail sides are then painted with Sandtex "Bitter Chocolate" smooth masonry paint. I have used Sandtex black masonry paint between the tracks and along the track sides. Sandtex is available in tester pots from B&Q.

The big problem with this is that Johnsons have discontinued "Klear" polish in its original form and it is difficult to locate. I managed to purchase a few bottles from ASDA before they sold out. Johnsons have a new product which goes under the name of Pledge but I don't know if it will do the job. If you Google Johnsons Klear you will find loads of info on the stuff from various modellers. It came out as best acrylic varnish in a recent test in Model Rail magazine.

Another product which may do the job is "Astonish Wood Floor polish", this is very much cheaper and is available from bargain stores and pound shops.

There is also waterproof PVA but from what I can gather this wont stand upto being wet for any length of time and disintegrates.

Ballasting is very time consuming but wasn't too bad for me as my layout is at chest height, if you guys with ground level layouts attempt it it could be a good idea to make sure that you are well stocked up with Ibuprofen tablets!

DSCF3362 (600 x 305).jpg

DSCF3363 (600 x 395).jpg

DSCF3366 (600 x 283).jpg

DSCF3426 (600 x 299).jpg

DSCF3523 (600 x 372).jpg

Absolutely top notch stuff there Ian. The 04 looks splendid (the addition of a crew makes a world of difference too) and the ballasted track is awesome. You've certainly become very brave with the airbrush! I agree, the 04 is another Bachmann stunner and yours has just got so much better.

Do you have trouble with leaves in your garden? Each time I look at photos of your layout I begin wondering how I'd go about clearing away all the leaves that get deposited around my track - not to mention the bird droppings. How on earth do you keep it looking so neat and tidy?

I've read a lot about the use of Johnson's 'Klear' and also of it being recently discontinued. I wasn't aware that it would be suitable for use outdoors too and although I've heard of people using it to secure ballast I'd never considered it for such uses in the garden.

I don't get any trouble with leaves as there aren't any trees around my back garden. I did get large deposits of crap left on my layout , mainly from collared doves. They would sit on the fence and let go! I have stopped this by fitting wire spikes on the top of the fence, you can just about make them out in the photo.

DSCF3542.JPG

• 2 months later...

Great unit Ian and again a very nice weathering job.

My class 108s are still packed away like everything else so I can't remember what details are included with it. Did you purchase the brake pipes and jumper cables separately? They really make a stunning job of the ends.

I remember the trouble I had trying to remove the 108s body moulding to gain access to the socket for fitting a DCC chip. In the end I left the unpowered car without a chip as I was afraid of causing some damage. Will have to have another go later so that I have the lights operating correctly.

I like the signal box in the last of those three images and I've noticed it before in other photos. Think it's the blue colour on the lower half that does it for me. What make is it? Also, have you managed to source some pink scourers?

Yes, it is tricky removing the bodyshell from the dmu's, I usually end up having to stick something back on!

The pipes and cables are from Craftsman Models... CR137 DMU jumpers and CR140 Vac and air pipes.

http://www.craftsmanmodels.co.uk/order.php

The signalbox is a Hornby R8005. The bottom half has been covered with plank effect plasticard and the roof with Wills slate sheets. I added a plasticard walkway and a brass wire handrail.

I have two more of these signalboxes on the layout but they have brick effect plasticard on the lower halves.

Scourers are now available in many colours, I think what you are seeing are probably faded red ones. I've also added some vegetation that is intended for aquariums.