Kirkfield & Warmthorpe Railway

IanR

• 3 months later...

Here's a couple of recent additions to Kirkfield MPD. The Duchess was purchased second hand as LMS 6230 Duchess of Buccleuch. I renumbered, renamed and changed the LMS lettering to a BR emblem, added a few details and it is now 46251 City of Nottingham.

The 9f is a Hornby Railroad item which I have converted to a rebuilt Crosti boilered version using a Golden Arrow Models kit.

Both locos have had the weathering treatment using mainly airbrush but also powders.

20150624_123244_16x9.jpg

20150624_123303_16x9.jpg

20150715_130908_16x9.jpg

20150715_131157_16x9.jpg

20150715_135755_16x9.jpg

20150715_144204_16x9.jpg

• Like 1

Both excellent looking loco's Ian. The weathering certainly makes a tremendous difference and with the 9F it shows what good value the Hornby 'railroad' range can be. I think the maroon really suits the Duchess class.

Great to see the K&WR looking as fantastic as ever.

• 4 months later...

I too Ian like the Duchess in maroon. I've seen photos and old cine footage of Duchesses and Princesses in green and to me it just doesn't suit them. The preserved Duchess "Duchess of Sutherland" to me looks bland and ordinary in green whereas in maroon she has a touch of class about her. They all looked far better in either maroon, blue or crimson lake. Having said that I prefer a jubilee in green to crimson lake and the same with a crab. Those two classes to me seemed to be trying to have class in crimson lake but were not quite in the same league as their pacific sisters

Roy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

It's a while since I posted but The K&WR is still alive!

I've been doing a bit of maintenance lately. Some of the ballast has crumbled away... again! I've tried different fixing methods this year. Some I have used diluted waterproof PVA and when dry gone over it with the usual Astonish Wood Floor polish, time will tell. On some sections I have dribbled thin superglue onto the dry ballast, if that doesn't hold well nothing will! Toolstation do a 50g bottle of superglue for £2.20.

I am also in the process of replacing the plywood backboards. I have obtained some 3mm plastic foamboard from a local supplier and had it cut into eight inch wide sections. On top of this I have stuck some self adhesive backscenes. These are ID Premium backscenes by Art-Printers.com and I got mine from Expo Tools. https://www.expotools.com/cgi-bin/ss000003.pl?SO=1_3_4_0&TB=O&SS=backscene%20&PR=-1&SO=1_3_4_0&SO=1_3_4_0&SS=backscene+&SS=backscene+&PN=3

I got the 9" wide ones which are printed on polypropelene and are water and tear resistant. I suppose there may be the problem of fading with the sun over time but we'll see.

IMAG0022a.JPG

Good to hear you're still amongst us Ian.

I like the look of the new backscenes - just what I could do with along the bottom of the garden where I eventually intend to add a small halt.

I'm sure one day we'll discover the perfect solution to the ballast problem. I think it's as much to do with the adhesive as it is with the base you are applying it to. I'm not so sure that roofing felt is a suitable base - the slightest movement is enough to crack the ballast layer. In fact I'm sure that if I were to start again I'd look for other alternatives to a layer of roofing felt.

Love the backscences, certanly worth the money and effort.

Left field suggestion about ballast. What about mixing a small amount of concrete powder with the ballast and then spray water over it? I have seen something like it done on an indoor layout using wallpaper paste and it worked quite well.

jimbob said:

Left field suggestion about ballast. What about mixing a small amount of concrete powder with the ballast and then spray water over it? I have seen something like it done on an indoor layout using wallpaper paste and it worked quite well.

That's the kind of crazy idea that might just work. I've just ballasted 15 cm of track mixing in a bit of cement powder and dripped some water onto it. No rain forecast for a few days so I shouldn't have to protect it.

Ian, the backscenes are really effective. The pan scrubs and aquarium plants make a very good transition from railway to background.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I like your new back scenes Ian. Have you sprayed them with a matt varnish to protect them from dirt. Is the pink patch a representation of willow herb? If you do decide to trial concrete with ballast make sure the concrete is rapid set. But instead of using a trigger action spray bottle try a pump action bottle say two litres and set the nozzle to a wide fine mist.

Edited by cleanerg6e

• 3 months later...

Just saying hello Mick and everyone. I need to catch up on a few of your posts. There's been quite a lull in my railway modelling activities at the Kirkfield and Warmthorpe. I need to rekindle my interest. :)

Sounds like you may need a project to get your teeth into. I can't find any recent photos of your branch station, but how about a rebuild of that into a two platform station and possibly an overall roof.

DSCF2535.jpg

1 hour ago, chris said:

Sounds like you may need a project to get your teeth into. I can't find any recent photos of your branch station, but how about a rebuild of that into a two platform station and possibly an overall roof.

DSCF2535.jpg