Kirkfield & Warmthorpe Railway

IanR

The Really Useful Boxes are what I use and they definitely live upto their name! Mine came from a chap at an exhibition, who goes by the name of JB's Model World, and they are the 10L variety. They were supplied with foam bottoms, lids and pre-cut trays. Perfect for everything except steam locos with protruding valve gear (the foam doesnt give enough). Unfortunately, JB seems to have given up producing OO boxes and the website now only shows N gauge trays. I have contacted him several times, but without an answer. Such a shame, as I think these really were the Rolls Royce of stock boxes.

drmalesis said:

...As a quick aside though, I'm intrigued as to the identity of the item being pushed by (I think) D6801 - what on earth is it... :?:

Duncan

Duncan

I'm sure Ian wil be along to confirm it but I believe it's called a brake tender. Brake tenders were heavy vehicles that were used to provide additional brake force on trains hauling wagons that were not fitted with automatic brakes (non-fitted) or where only some of the wagons in the train were so fitted (partially fitted). The low height of the brake tender enabled the driver of the loco to see forwards as it was propelled along in front of the loco. I've heard of them myself but never saw one in operation. Have to agree that it looks great on Ian's layout.

I'm intrigued as to the identity of the item being pushed by (I think) D6801 - what on earth is it...

Spot on Mick, thanks for providing the answer! I used to see them quite often in the 60's. The one I have is a 'Genesis' kit. Google "diesel brake tender" for more information and images.

Ian.

mick said:

I'm sure Ian wil be along to confirm it but I believe it's called a brake tender. Brake tenders were heavy vehicles that were used to provide additional brake force on trains hauling wagons that were not fitted with automatic brakes (non-fitted) or where only some of the wagons in the train were so fitted (partially fitted). The low height of the brake tender enabled the driver of the loco to see forwards as it was propelled along in front of the loco. I've heard of them myself but never saw one in operation. Have to agree that it looks great on Ian's layout.

IanR said:

Spot on Mick, thanks for providing the answer! I used to see them quite often in the 60's. The one I have is a 'Genesis' kit. Google "diesel brake tender" for more information and images.

And there I was thinking it was some kind of Track Cleaner I'd never seen before. Well you live and learn... :lol:

Duncan

As for the brake tender I have a Telerail video series called Steam World Archive and in one shot there is a brief view of a class 37 at work in the north east of England descending a steep grade with a coal train and on the front is a brake tender. A P3 is battling the grade in the opposite direction. The video is volume 14 in the series. The type 3 with the brake tender is descending from the old Silksworth Colliery. The area of the colliery is now a sports centre and where the pit head once stood is now a grassed ski slope and the former railway line is a walking and cycle path.

Roy.

• 3 months later...

Latest addition to the K&WR is a Hornby R3028 Fowler Class 2p.

As you can see from the photos I have weathered it, renumbered it, shortened the tender draw bar, added crew, lamp irons and real coal to the tender.

This is the Hornby update of an older model with new chassis and loco drive instead of the inferior tender drive. It is a very quiet and smooth runner.

2P-1 (638 x 295).jpg

2P-5 (670 x 286).jpg

Love the loco Ian. It seems that Hornby is redoing a number of it's older loco like the 2P. The 4-4-0 County is to be re-motored and put into the Railroad Range as is the D49.

Your right about the sun Mick although we've had very little of it this summer.

Roy.

• 4 months later...

DID I SUCCEED, IAN, I hope so. :D You have every reason to be well and truly proud of what you have created as it is an inspiration to us all on this forum.

I recently bought from a shop over here an HD key ring camera and I'm now waiting for it to arrive. It only cost 15 pounds and the battery can be charged from my PC.

With my experience of computing it will no doubt take me ages as I've never done anything in windows movie maker. :roll:

Roy.

• 3 weeks later...

Are there any updates on the K&WR Ian? Now that I've finally managed to get back into construction mode I'm on the look out for inspiration and this thread is normally the place to come. It seems an age since we were treated to anything new and I just wondered how everything was coming along?

There hasn't been much of interest happening on the K&WR lately. Running sessions have been rare this year with the bad weather.

I've had a few small areas of ballast to replace which I think have succumbed to the extremely wet weather.

I'm hoping to do some more video this year showing some of the latest arrivals to the loco stud.

New arrivals this year include DP2, Falcon, Clan, A2, another V2 and another A3. All have been weathered to some extent, maybe I'll post some photos soon.

IanR said:

...I've had a few small areas of ballast to replace which I think have succumbed to the extremely wet weather...

Were these areas where you had used the Johnsons Klear? Do you think there's anything you can do better to help prevent a recurrence?

I was looking at photos of your layout only a few days ago and wondered how you dealt with rainwater run-off. I imagine that between the side edging battens and the baseboard itself that there's a gap to allow excess water to drain?