Kirkfield & Warmthorpe Railway

IanR

Thanks for the kind words guys.

I agree with you about the music traingeek, it drives me mad too but I thought it ought to be shared! :D

The music on 'More Trains in Action' stays in the brain even longer!

The track sides are painted with brown masonry paint using a stiff artists brush... that's the brush that's stiff, not the artist!

All the structures are off the shelf items including the Hornby platforms. Everything stays outside except the main station which is in three sections and gets put away after each operating session.

I have recently covered the other two station platforms with fine black sand as they had faded quite a bit. After masking of the edge paving I painted the platforms with a sticky black gloss paint and then sprinkled on the sand. This also covers the joints in the platform sections quite nicely.

The weathering on the stock is a mixture of techniques including airbrushing and weathering powders.

-KEVp3TEIjg

Looking at the grey skies outside makes me long for a few hours of sun like in the video! I have not been near my railway for a number of weeks, may be tempted outside tomorrow if the weather is brighter but I wont hold my breath! Definitely times like this where I get tempted to build in the loft, one railway at the time though. I will keep my focus on the garden for now! Superb video as ever.

Stunning video Ian - absolutely first class.

It's been a while since we saw any updates on the Kirkfield and Warmthorpe but this has been worth waiting for. Some of the shots really do make you look twice, they are so realistic. I was going to point one or two out but then there was another and another... Loved the shots going beneath the roadbridge with the traffic above - must take ages to set everything up. It's hard to believe this is an outdoor model railway as it's got more detail that many indoor layouts I have seen. As far as OO gauge garden railways go this is top of the class stuff to a standard that we can all aspire to even though the majority of us will perhaps never get close to equalling.

Don't leave it so long before we are given another taster.

Thank you guys for your kind remarks, i'm very flattered!

Actually Mick, apart from track cleaning and getting out the locos and stock, it only takes me about ten minutes to set it up.

The removable sections across the paths are aligned with dowels and then secured with over centre clips. Backscenes are then clipped onto these sections.

The main station is in three sections and located onto blocks.(Everything on this station, figures etc, are permanently fixed).

The road over bridge support pillars are fixtures and the bridge itself locates on to them with brass pins. The vehicles on the bridge are permanently fixed into place with wire.

Plug in the control panel / case and away we go!

I was going to ask about how you manage the stock. The latest video depicts all kinds of coaches and wagons, not to name a vast array of loco's, was it filmed over a number of operating sessions? From what we see on video it would appear that you don't have a shed load of storage loops so I assume that each train is marshalled as and when required. How many trains can you accommodate on track at any one time?

mick said:

I was going to ask about how you manage the stock. The latest video depicts all kinds of coaches and wagons, not to name a vast array of loco's, was it filmed over a number of operating sessions? From what we see on video it would appear that you don't have a shed load of storage loops so I assume that each train is marshalled as and when required. How many trains can you accommodate on track at any one time?

I'll second this question as I am finding that the sheer effort of hauling things outside to operate sometimes can be daunting. Especially all that running back and forth between inside and out.

The video is made up of clips filmed on about a dozen or so sessions between June and September.

There are four loops in the main station area and this is the number of trains that I usually have on the go at any time. No part of the layout is indoors so I only operate when the weather forecast is good and each train has to made up on the day. It's quite easy making trains up on my layout with it being at chest height and I use a Peco rerailer for bogie vehicles.

Rolling stock is kept in plastic boxes. These are made by "The Really Useful Box Co" and are the seven litre size. I prefer these boxes as they stack well and the lids are easy to remove.

Locos are in Peco "Loco Lift" cassettes which you may have seen early on in this thread. These are excellent items which avoid the need to handle your locos.

During the summer months the boxes are kept just inside the patio doors so it is a simple matter to lift them outside when required.

http://www.peco-uk.com/product.asp?strParents=&CAT_ID=0&P_ID=17331&strPageHistory=search&numSearchStartRecord=1

DSCF4049.JPG

DSCF4050.JPG

DSCF2437.jpg

DSCF4052.JPG

That's extremely helpful Ian. Those 'Really Useful Boxes' look ehmmm.. really useful! It all looks much more manageable than trying to remove and replace items from their individual boxes and the (really useful) boxes themselves are also very reasonably priced. Do the 'really useful boxes' come with any kind of interior pationing or have you made all your own to fit the respective models? It looks like you've also got more than one layer in some boxes?

An excellent system for storing and handling your rolling stock. Thank you for sharing.

Some boxes have been lined and partitioned using laminate flooring underlay. Then I discovered that by laying vehicles on their sides I could get two layers in as per the photo of the box containing the vans. Flooring underlay is too thick for this so I used cheap ironing board covers which have a thin foam attached. I made the top tray out of cardboard and this just sits on top of the bottom layer of vehicles.