Kirkfield & Warmthorpe Railway

IanR

IanR said:

Still thinking about it Roy. Actually I've seen quite a few photos in books and it seems 'Lion' was kept very clean considering its colour!

Yes, by all accounts it was well cared for and regularly cleaned. A bit of light weathering would help accentuate the detail though especially on the bogies. It can't possibly have been spotlessly clean all the time.

Now if I had one, would I lightly weather mine.... :roll:

I have a photo of Lion in a book by OS Nock and it shows Lion with a 'in service' look to it not a fresh out of the paint shop look. I only said to weather it as most of your stock is weathered. But I was only thinking of a light weathering such as soot around the exhaust port, that sort of thing not a loco in overall filth like we have over here.

Roy.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice video Ian. I was wondering what your line would look like with an onboard view so it's good to see it from that viewpoint. The ballasting looks really good and the scourers are very effective. I hadn't realised you had so many buildings adjacent to the station either. What sort of camera have you used?

Thanks for sharing the video, Ian - that is quite inspiring and all of that scenery looks great from the driver-eye-view :)

I really need to try and get one with my building so I can move onto the modelling!

Thanks for your comments guys, glad you like. :)

Thanks for the info too Mick, I was wondering how you got videos to display.

The camera is one I obtained on a well known auction site for less than a tenner.

I've mounted it on a wagon underframe and made it so that it is adjustable.

You can also get the same type of camera in true HD for less than 30 quid.

see http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2010/4/1/mini-key-ring-spy-camera-review.html and

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2011/2/18/finally-a-real-hd-mini-keyring-spy-camera-11-808.html

DSCF3909.JPG

Thanks for the info Ian. I really like these views 'from the footplate' but I've been a little disappointed with the quality of the image from the cameras I've used to date. I know they're realistically priced and so I shouldn't expect too much but from the video footage in the link you provided above it seems that the true HD version is a big improvement over the standard definition cameras. I've therefore decided to give one of the HD versions a try, as recommended in the link, at a cost of £24, so in approx 10-14 days or so I should be able to provide some example footage if it turns up.

IanR said:

I'll look forward to seeing the footage Mick. 'Techmoan' seems very impressed doesn't he?

Yes, he's certainly impressed with the quality of the HD camera and I was very impressed with his review and the comparisons with the older standard definition. I've also learned from his video that the micro SD cards have a 'class' system as an indication of their potential read/write speeds - something I wasn't aware of previously. I had a feeling that the card I had been using up to now might have a slow write speed because of the way it occasionally misses sections of the action, or otherwise records erratically, but upon close inspection, and armed with my new found knowledge, I have discovered it is in fact a class 4 card - the minimum that 'techmoan' recommends.

Anyway, looking forward to it arriving and being able to try it out properly. I'd just love it to be able to provide smooth, clear images from an onboard viewpoint - fingers crossed!

• 4 weeks later...

What make/kind of bridges have you used on the K&WR?

On your recent brake van view video the train departs the station and at approx 0:30 secs is seen passing beneath a stone arched bridge - what make is that one as it's similar to one I am looking for myself. Is it moulded plastic or cast stone/resin?

What make/kind of bridges have you used on the K&WR?

On your recent brake van view video the train departs the station and at approx 0:30 secs is seen passing beneath a stone arched bridge - what make is that one as it's similar to one I am looking for myself. Is it moulded plastic or cast stone/resin?

Hi Mick, It's a Hornby Skaledale R8571 Road Overbridge.

Not currently produced I'm afraid but you may track one down on the net.

pufferwillies.co.uk are showing them in stock.

IanR said:

Hi Mick, It's a Hornby Skaledale R8571 Road Overbridge.

Not currently produced I'm afraid but you may track one down on the net.

pufferwillies.co.uk are showing them in stock.

Thanks for the info Ian. Unfortunately they don't have any left in stock :cry: Looks like I might have to start making my own.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Have fun at the show. Sadly I don't think I can get the time off work to make it to my local train show.

Watched your last video again; If I can't run my trains i'll always be willing to see someone else's trains running. :) That damn music is stuck in my head though!

dub dub dub dub... ba-dubba duhhhbba.... dub dub dub dub... ba-duh-duh deedle beedle... ARGH!!!!

So, once again admiring the layout. Nice ballast and track weathering. Are you using an airbrush to weather the track sides? I'm also just impressed with the overall landscaping. I have decided to go the scenics route on my layout as well and was worried that without cork under my track everything would look too flat, but your layout convinces me that the lack of elevation is not a problem visually.

Some of your structures look familiar as off the shelf Hornby platforms, but they seem to fit in very nicely. Do the structures come inside during the winter months?

All of your stock has good weathering as well. What are you using for that? I will re-read all the posts about your layout, maybe it's already in there, I suppose I just wanted to make note that others do make note of your nice layouts details. Every time I see a beautiful outdoor layout, I think to myself, "I could never build a layout with such long level straight sections indoors."