Hornby 50007 "Sir Edward Elgar" - Howes DCC sound fitted

ba14eagle

This is Hornby's 50007 "Sir Edward Elgar" in mock GW livery. It has been fitted by Howes with one of their dcc sound chips. The sound is awesome - enough said :!: The loco has a really slow excelleration rate but a very realistic top speed. It has bufferbeam detail fitted and just requires me to fit some black backed nameplates & crests (as per its BR service days) My only criticism of the Hornby model is that the head and marker lights dont really show up too well. Other than this, its outstanding. The loco will mostly be hauling a set of Mk2 coaches that I am currently building up, which replicate an 8 car Waterloo to Exeter set. (If Bachmann could only produce a Mk2 b TSO & TSOT it would be nice).

Hopefully, in time, I will be able to afford another class 50 or 2, one in early NSE and one in large logo livery.

14072011272.jpg

Excellent loco and thanks for the tip regarding the sound. The Hornby factory fitted is okay but isn't really anything special so I might give the Howes version a try.

I really do like to 50s and had considered this same loco myself before opting for the large logo blue version which I can more easily recall.

I can certainly vouch for Howes sound Mick and if you already have a sound loco they will reblow it for you. Of the locos I've had reblown are a class 20, 47, 45, 42, 52. They all sound much better now with Howes sound. The Garratt that I had hoped to have completely redone by Howes the engineers Bryan and Mike have decided not to do as it a long and very complicated job. I don't blame them as even the manufacturer states that in taking the loco to pieces small plastic details will be broken off and the plastic is of a type not readily accepting most glues.

Roy.

I found your comments about the lights interesting. The models we buy are designed for indoor use so the lights appear too dim when outdoors. When I added lights to my 156 Unit I used much smaller resistors than recommended to get the bright outdoor lights I required.

Looking at Martin Claydon's lighting conversion of the Hornby 50, I noticed that the lights use "light-pipes" which I find dim them significantly. It is also notable that Martin uses 1K resistors for all his lights, these are much lower values (and therefore brighter lights) than he uses in his DMU jobs.

• 3 months later...

The loco appears in all my YouTube videos for anyone wishing to hear it.

I have now fitted the cast metal name & number plates, crests and double arrows - the black backed number & nameplates firmly place the loco in its BR days, as opposed to its preservation period, with the red background.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've missed the development of this thread. Have to say that Sir Edward looks resplendent in weathered condition - it hardly looks like the same loco featured in the first post. I much prefer this work-stained livery.