DAPOL /HATTONS LMS TWINS

mick

Hatton's have published a video on youtube covering the design and development of their LMS 10000 locomotive. It's difficult to judge anything properly from the footage but I must say it's looking rather good.

[video no longer available]

• 5 months later...

It was mentioned in another thread that an early review model of one of the Dapol/Hattons LMS twin loco's weighed in at a little under 1kg. Now that the first of these models (10000 in LMS black) appears to have arrived with Hattons it has been confirmed elsewhere that the loco weighs just under 2lb. Very impressive!

You may have seen photographs of the LMS 10000 on another online forum where it does indeed look resplendent in the black and silver livery. Unfortunately it seems that the etched lettering and numbering affixed to the sides of the locos has been removed from the etched fret without cleaning up the small nibs before being applied to the loco. This is apparent on both the model mentioned here and the one featured on Hattons' Facebook page. It seems a shame that it should mar the appearance of what looks like an excellent loco in most other respects, though I'm not too keen on the thickness of the cab window glazing which appears too prominent.

I'm tempted, especially given the weight of the loco, but for now at least I think I'll wait and see what happens. There's a forthcoming Bachmann version to add to the equation. Wonder just how they'll compare?

drmalesis said:

Hi Mick,

I would hope that they were just pre-production models...

No, not pre-production models, these are apparently from a small batch delivered in time for the weekend of the Warley show and have been sent out to (some) customers who had placed advance orders.

I think that factory fitting the etched numbers and lettering was a welcomed idea - wouldn't be an easy thing to get absolutely spot on yourself, especially for me, without getting excess glue all over the place, but I would have liked to have seen all the protruding nibs removed beforehand, no matter how insignificant the 'oversight' appears.

In addition, it is being reported that a 22 pin DCC socket has been fitted to the loco's in this first batch instead of a 21 pin but Dapol have been quick to provide remedial instructions.

Despite these small gripes you only have to look at the photos emerging online to realise that this is one stunning model.

drmalesis said:

... especially given that Bachmann are only concentrating on the BR liveries...

As I understand it, Bachmann are introducing the BR Green liveried versions as part of their standard range whilst they are producing the Black versions exclusively for sale via 'Rails' of Sheffield. Do you buy or do you wait it out...?