Block Detection

Woodp1

Hi all, 

I have been lurking here for a while reading posts for inspiration and I have decided to start construction of a model of my own. I am wondering if anyone has attempted to use block detection and automation outdoors?  I already own most of the electronics and modules I would need having been collecting digitrax kit for a while. Having tried to research the idea have found no examples of this being attempted. Perhaps there is an obvious reason why? Would be interested in your thoughts.

Thanks

Paul

Hi, welcome.

I don't have any experience of block detection but I do follow Chadwick Model Railway on YouTube who uses it.

I imagine that the Digitrax PCBs aren't weatherproof? Which would be the biggest problem to overcome.

Chris will have more of a clue about weatherproofing stuff like this I think.

What level of track plan complexity were you thinking?

Hi Paul and welcome to the forum.

The electrics on my layout are extremely crude and very basic to say the least. I'm of the opinion that the simpler the installation the better but that's not to say that what you're contemplating isn't possible, it's just that I can't get my head around anything too technical. What I can add is that in the past I have used DCC Concepts accessory decoders (8 way output module) for point motor control and the dampness in my shed destroyed it despite locating it within a plastic housing. I've lost several accessory decoders and frog juicers located in housings alongside the layout that I thought were pretty safe but again I believe it just gets too damp at times. But then you have to remember that there are several well-known OO garden layouts that are way more complicated than mine that appear to operate successfully with some quite sophisticated electronics behind them.

I think your main priority would be to ensure that the electronics and associated modules are located somewhere that's free from damp. It's an expensive hobby as it is without writing off your sophisticated electronics.

Thanks for the feedback. I’m not intending a track plan that’s too complex, effectively a large loop with long straights that give illusion of a double track with a station and some sidings. I have quite a long garden, about 50 metres, so it would be great to get some long runs down the garden. However before I attempt such a large scale I think I might start with a test loop to experiment with block detection outdoors. I’m not sure how moisture might effect false occupancy readings but I guess there is only one way to find out! Will keep you posted.

Thanks

I've not tried it outdoors

I've put train detection on my indoor tramway using MERG block occupancy detectors. These are DCC only and trigger when a current is drawn. No reason why there would be a problem outdoors.

Edited by chris

17 hours ago, Clay Mills Junction said:

Hi Paul,

That is some garden. Are you going to be operating from a shed or garage with trains running in/out?

You're trying something new with block detection outdoors by the looks of it so you will have to be the pioneer.

Actually I have a WW2 air raid shelter that I am going to use. Perfectly dry inside and bomb proof!! :-)

On 10/08/2022 at 01:05, Woodp1 said:

...I’m not sure how moisture might effect false occupancy readings but I guess there is only one way to find out! Will keep you posted...

That's certainly something to take into account. I've noticed that a running session can be troublefree for much of the day but as soon as the temperature begins to fall moisture begins to form on the rail tops. It's easily rectified in my case by sending the CMX track cleaner round to wipe the rail tops but something for you to bear in mind.