Greetings from Ireland

Michele

Hi Michele and welcome to the forum.

I would think there are very few modellers who have a suitably large area indoors for a model railway. The attic tends to be the only large space available but they're not the most hospitable of locations unless you're very forunate to have a conversion. Of course the garden can be an inhospitable environment too for a good deal of the year and so it's certainly not going to be plain sailing out there whatever space you have available but there's a great deal of satisfaction to be gained from incorporating a layout into the garden.

I'm assuming you're thinking OO gauge? If so then I hope through the forum we have dispelled any myths about OO not being suitable for outdoor layouts. There were people running OO gauge models successfuly in their gardens well before this forum was created and some continue to do so to this day so it's certainly possible providing sufficient care is taken during planning and construction. I've personaly made a lot of mistakes in the past but I'd like to think I've learned something from them and while my own layout is still far from perfect and requires some remedial work it gives me a lot of enjoyment and it's much better to be outdoors than stuck up in the attic.

I look forward to hearing your ideas and plans for a layout of your own and hopefully we can assist you along the way.

• Like 1

Thanks for the warm welcome. 

Unfortunately my house is a dormer, so there's pretty much no attic space. 

Yes of course OO gauge. I'd already done a bit of research and realised that it was of course possible, and watched a bunch of videos on youtube. 

At the moment I'm still in the "research" phase. Also trying to get a few bits and pieces together to actually build it out.

One of the problems right now is that wood and most other building materials are insanely expensive. I suspect I'll be looking at architectural salvage, but I'm absolutely hopeless with DIY, so it'll be kept fairly simple!

thanks again

Michele