Howey Garden Railway

kenbrunt

I have been track laying this week in-between the wind and light showers. I was hoping to put power to the track. However did not happen as the director wanted to go shopping so lost a big part of the day. I have also added points to the mix. (wiring is going to be fun) One at the shed end and the others all around the same area just after  the small loops and just before the station. I am so used to N gauge and the amount of track you can get in a limited space. This as been a real eye opener as all my grand ideas for coach sidings have been reduce to just one.

Hoping to get something running Thursday and will try to add a couple of pictures.

47 minutes ago, kenbrunt said:

....I am so used to N gauge and the amount of track you can get in a limited space. This as been a real eye opener as all my grand ideas for coach sidings have been reduce to just one....

It doesn't seem to matter what scale we model in or where our layout is located we always seem to be short of space! In my case outdoors it's due to the dimensions of my shed which houses sidings and stations. I have to limit train lengths so that they fit within the passing loops in the main station. And then there's my attic with a lovely long running straight but on the opposite side I am limited by the width available so I'm unable to have the number of sidings I would like in order to have more stock on the layout. And some people build layouts in box files!

There's a (hopefully?) useful guide to placing images/attachments correctly in your posts here..... You need to follow from the line immediately above the 4th image (If you do not do anything else then when you publish your post all your uploaded images will be inserted at the end of your post. To place images between text within your post follow the next guidelines.)

Just remember that once you've uploaded your photos, UNLESS you do anything else to them they will all display one after the other at the end of your post. To place them between sections of text you need to place your cursor on an empty line where you want a photo to be and then click the '+' symbol on the respective photo.

Thanks Mick again for your comments and how to mix text and photos . Will try once I get the chance to take some shots. Had a good afternoon soldering and did not burn myself once. Now awaiting some more points to finish off Howey Exchange station area. Then a few board fillers in each loop. I think this weather is making me to get carried away outside. I have also got the cat flap to get the trains in and out of the shed.

You've made amazing progress since March Ken. You must be very pleased to have got so far in such a short space of time. I'm sure the weather has helped although perhaps not during the heatwave last month when it was unbearable to even step outside here, reaching 41 degrees according to my weather station.

Did you manage to get anything running last week?

Thanks Mick for your kind comments. I have not been able to run anything during this very hot spell as with putting in points and getting the wiring soldered. Plus I feel sorry for the track as the heat from the sun on the rails and the heat from the felt on the sleepers. The felt as been that hot you cannot touch it. It surprise me that it all worked after the last hot spell. Have been clearing some of the shed contents into a Keter garden box. So I have space for the important stuff (Trains and stock)

Once again I must thank all the people who have written on these pages. It was finding this Garden Railway page that gave me the ideas and confidence to risk building outside.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have at last got the branch line in and pined down. Just need to solder wires to the lines for power.

I have started to clear shed in readiness to install boards for a single track oval and sidings. Enabling me to run trains in the wet and get them outside in the dry.

My friendly and helpful neighbour as just got himself a camera and bogie to run in front of an engine. So hopefully I will be able to load moving shots of the railway. 2027585731_AugA121_08_2022.thumb.jpg.8b5266792670a66396ad81abe466f9a4.jpg726226814_AugA321_08_2022.thumb.jpg.ba256afca33d0c42c9d4de65d31c9566.jpg

Aug   A2   21. 08.2022.jpg

• Like 1

On 09/08/2022 at 19:54, kenbrunt said:

... I feel sorry for the track as the heat from the sun on the rails and the heat from the felt on the sleepers. The felt as been that hot you cannot touch it. It surprise me that it all worked after the last hot spell....

It's surprising just how resilient the track is when used outdoors providing there are sufficient gaps for the rails to expand. I've never had a serious problem on the outdoor layout and the majority of the track has been out there more than 10 years now. The plastic sleepers have also stood up remarkably well with no noticeable deterioration through exposure to the sun. Yes, the felt can become hot in direct sunlight!

You've got yourself a great little layout now which I'm sure will provide hours of enjoyment.

• 5 weeks later...

I have . done inside shed to take an oval of track so I can run in the winter months. Have made a crude square tunnel to take the single track from main line into shed through the cat flap. So I will be able to just lift it out after running sessions135069799_Sept21_09.20221E.thumb.jpg.d70dc3ca39089269e9647b90e063bb35.jpg

With the dry weather these past through days, I was able to get some locos running. I still have loads of scratch building to do to complete the road over Howey Exchange. 254115797_Sept21_09.20221C.thumb.jpg.3aec8ecb27ffd6ffd7116db36d02b067.jpg

Overall I as surprised how reliable the track as been. Will be interesting what happens during the layout first winter.

2003232662_Sept21_09.20221B.thumb.jpg.08726796066f16729bf905ccf3a919ac.jpg

I stared to cover the connection tunnel so it looks something like a tunnel entrance today as it started to rain so I was able to play inside the shed.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Had a good morning on the railway and even able to run a couple of trains. Ran the first train from inside shed and  out of cat flap and all the way round the outside track.

1791569444_Oct31A131_10_2022.thumb.jpg.dd2758c2afdd8b21849279b696acb6f8.jpg

I was very surprised that I had no problems with power around the outside track with all the bad weather these past weeks.

622647066_Oct31A231_10_2022.thumb.jpg.1d7bad5b9d1e75caab29fd40b34c188c.jpg

I have more work to-do on the cat flap box but was very pleased how it all fitted together. I love these small Terriers, compared with the likes of a Class 66.

315469823_Oct31A431_10_2022.thumb.jpg.9180abe9afeb5c2c31d077fae9a69682.jpg

Oct 31 A3  31.10.2022.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see you still going at it Ken and pleased to hear that it's proving reliable in operation. In my opinion the weather doesn't create that many problems with the actual track or associated wiring and it's amazing how quickly everything can dry out even after a torrential downpour. I've run trains on several occasions shortly after showers and even after snowfall once I'd cleared accumulated snow from the tracks. It's not something I would highly recommend but it's doable!

• 2 weeks later...

What with the frosty morning Saturday was surprised I was able to get a running session from shed to outside just to see how the outside part was standing up to the elements.

1030357472_Nov19.2022b1.thumb.jpg.deeb712f36d144513e3e0204608c7ed9.jpg

To my surprise every think work well. I like the GNER blue Eurostar and will have to see if I can pick up more coaches.

2067586462_Nov19.2022b2.thumb.jpg.c996ac770b6cd8d69f685ad31cf85feb.jpg

Sorry that I have got the wrong era coaches behind the Di16, 4-4-0. Have some teak ones to go with the loco. The shed side is still a mess so finding any think takes time. These were first to come to hand. To me they look well behind the D16. 

817925446_Nov19.2022a1.thumb.jpg.cd3ab3efb2775be905bcf61e4b7df1cf.jpg

The LNER and Southern are regions I know little about but enjoy their locos.

1805606602_Nov19.2022a2.thumb.jpg.a1ec0be24c16a58fed1a0a386ce41bb4.jpg

779646029_Nov19.2022a3.thumb.jpg.e65051745086fa3ddb793142be748027.jpg

1537830411_Nov19.2022a4.thumb.jpg.cc573449d75d0481df95f26cd350dc30.jpg

My neighbour as purchase a small camera to fit into a wagon so and hoping in the new year to offer you some video.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was wondering how you were getting on with the snow and especially the cold Ken? It's been an extremely cold start to December, at least here in South Yorkshire it has. Hopefully you've been able to continue working inside the shed and I'm looking forward to seeing what you've been up to and what progress you've been able to achieve in there.

Yes its been and still is very cold here in Wales. Have started to lay the oval of track. My problem is like everyone else Deliveries and trying to get hold of points etc is a nightmare. I have heat inside but the inside of roof was frozen. So it looks like I will have to leave heat on all day. Better not tell the CEO because of costs. With this being my first winter will see what the bills like at the end of the month.

Thanks for your kind comments of support throughout the year. Have a good Christmas, (trust you have been good, so will get all your railway items wished for) Also Best wishes for the New Year.

Your shed looks of similar materials to one we used to have at the bottom of the garden when we first moved here. I used to keep a large fibreglass tank inside overwintering a few Koi before I got round to building a bigger pond. You are right about the inside walls freezing - ours used to do exactly that, made worse due to the condensation from the fish tank. When it wasn't frozen it was constantly dripping down from the roof and running down the walls.

Any form of heating isn't going to be cheap for you these days. We are lucky because we have solar panels installed on our roof so providing the sun's shining our electricity bills aren't so bad as most peoples. We're also fortunate to have taken out a fixed rate tariff just before the bills started rising so our price per Kwh is approx half that of most people (18p) and runs through to August next year. Today I was switching underfloor heating and dehumidifiers on just to take advantage of the free electrictiy generated from our panels!

I believe I've been good this year but I'm not expecting any railway items in my stocking, nor have I wished for any. I'm more than happy with the ones I already have.

Have a great Christmas if I don't get chance to chat with you again beforehand and all the best for the New Year!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I have been working inside the shed most of the winter, trying to squeeze a double track oval in so I can enjoy watching trains go by. The roof panelling as been successful in keeping the water away. Now the warmer weather ( will not say it loudly) Is showing itself the couple of sunny days created a problem with the roof expanding and depositing a couple of the panels on the running lines and my head. (CEO stated were there is no sense there is no feeling). So will have to try a lighter weight product, that is more flexible for the coming winter. We are still getting to below zero nights so will put off remover the cover till the beginning of May. Gives me time to get the grass, plants and seeds growing to keep the CEO happy.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I have at last been able to take the covers off the outside track. Unfortunately not enough time to run a loco round. The CEO as given me a list as long as the track of things to get sorted outside. So at this time just spending very little time on the layout but plenty in the garden. It does however look as if all as weathered reasonable well. I have 3 points that the spring as given up so awaiting new points. Should I have placed a little grease on them before covering?

302446647_May2a2023.thumb.jpg.4c623f16e665003de08748844460303d.jpg1201422160_April1ba2023.thumb.jpg.ae5dcabf1021b6c7b8789b2443a064ee.jpg188718441_May1a17_05_2023.thumb.jpg.522d504bc9cfb699dee16b9b6a6630a0.jpg