A New Layout

Well, after all these years I think I need another Garden Railway.

It's still cold outside here. Snowing and below freezing weather. The front garden area is a shambles and needs to be revived. I want to have a small table and chairs surrounded by plants and shrubs. Of course, I also want a railway in this relaxation zone.

What can I say? Once you've run your trains on a really long mainline, that is bigger than you've ever had, it's sort of impossible to think of going back to a tiny indoor layout.

I tried planning for small practice layouts. Yet I have 8 car passenger trains! Sure, I may build an oval test track for table top use indoors, but these trains need to really be able to stretch out and race on a long mainline track. 

List of items I want to incorporate:

-Recycle as much of my old flex track as I can.

-Use recycled materials as much as possible.

-Wood frame.

-I have no yet decided if I want shingles and bitumen, or creosote soaked lumber.

-A swappable control system of Analog or Digital.

-It will be a low layout this time. I love having things at table height, but I want to try having the trains passing through flower beds and rocks for natural scenery.

-I am aiming for a double track oval to race my trains on at highly unrealistic speeds because that is what makes me happy.

Things I learned on my last layout:

-I didn't seal my lumber well enough.

-Some of the places on my layout did not turn out as well as I planned. I need to make truly solid woodwork.

-Having the oval be at table height made access to the garden a problem.

-Build as you go really worked for me. I will just start making flower beds with risers and track platforms and slowly work my way around the oval like I did the first time.

-I may consider using clear caulk sealant to bind the track to the baseboards. The track nails worked well, but the vibration from wind loosened some areas.

-Switches/points did not deal with the sun well. The Atlas products I used seemed to melt and warp unlike the flex track. I may build small sun roofs for these areas or use removable covers to keep these areas protected from sun light when not being used.

-Keep the layout very minimal. I may not even place structures on it. The addition of details is one of the things that made me give up last time. I never reached a point of completion. I need a goal post I can reach and say: Ok, the layout is finished!

Resources:

-I have already collected some nice garden rocks from a trip to the mountains, I need more.

-I grabbed some scrap wood from a construction site, I need more.

-I purchased a pack of Zinnia seeds for one of the flower beds.

Fingers crossed for warmer dry weather.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, traingeekboy said:

-I am aiming for a double track oval to race my trains on at highly unrealistic speeds because that is what makes me happy.

-Keep the layout very minimal. I may not even place structures on it. The addition of details is one of the things that made me give up last time. I never reached a point of completion. I need a goal post I can reach and say: Ok, the layout is finished!

I like your thinking on a lot of this. Realism is one thing but just playing and enjoying is what it is all about sometimes.
I'm also with you on the details. Being in the garden is about having the scenery natural rather than having to make everything.

Hope it all goes well and looking forward to seeing it grow.

• Like 1

Good to see you back again Griff.

On 09/03/2022 at 19:33, traingeekboy said:

.... I need a goal post I can reach and say: Ok, the layout is finished!....

And when you've determined what that is can you let the rest of us know!

Is a garden railway ever finished? I know mine's never reached that point and it's difficult for me to see when it might be. I do little bits here and there and then I'm away doing something else for a while.

Yes, a low level garden layout running through the borders takes some beating and allows you to take advantage of the natural elements with very little need for you to add anything else yourself. It might involve a bit more in the way of maintenance and cleaning but it's a small price to pay in my opinion.

On 09/03/2022 at 21:49, traingeekboy said:

.....Crazy times.

You can say that again!

Let us know how you get on.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...