Mallard 1938 Driver & Fireman Memorials

mick

I'm not sure if everyone will have read about this as it appeared on my BBC local newsfeed but I thought I'd share it anyway.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-58775115

The only thing that concerns me these days is I just hope that both memorials remain undisturbed and free from the attention of vandals or god forbid thieves.

It was a remarkable achievement in railway history but my concerns reflect a sign of the times we live in today I'm afraid.

3 hours ago, mick said:

The only thing that concerns me these days is I just hope that both memorials remain undisturbed and free from the attention of vandals or god forbid thieves.

It was a remarkable achievement in railway history but my concerns reflect a sign of the times we live in today I'm afraid.

I think the fear of people being that bad is greater than the probability of it actually happening. Perhaps exaccerbated by a sensationalist media?

There was a story about the war memorial in Burton being vandalised after armistice day a few years ago with all of the reefs being thrown all over the place. Lots of people were shocked and it was a huge thing with police doing door to door in the area and the local rag leading in condemnation of the vandals and it even made the regional TV news. They eventually found CCTV from the college showing it was the wind overnight that had thrown the reefs and poppys everywhere.

There was another story I remember of complaints about a graveyard being vandalised with headstones being toppled. Turned out the council had surveyed the condition of all of the headstones and laid flat any which they deemed were in danger of falling and could cause injury or greater damage.

The correction stories obviously got a lot less coverage than the original stories.

Anyway, good that the driver and fireman get recognised as well as the machine and designer. Just a shame it took 68 years to come about.

34 minutes ago, Clay Mills Junction said:

I think the fear of people being that bad is greater than the probability of it actually happening. Perhaps exaccerbated by a sensationalist media?

There was a story about the war memorial in Burton being vandalised after armistice day a few years ago with all of the reefs being thrown all over the place. Lots of people were shocked and it was a huge thing with police doing door to door in the area and the local rag leading in condemnation of the vandals and it even made the regional TV news. They eventually found CCTV from the college showing it was the wind overnight that had thrown the reefs and poppys everywhere.

There was another story I remember of complaints about a graveyard being vandalised with headstones being toppled. Turned out the council had surveyed the condition of all of the headstones and laid flat any which they deemed were in danger of falling and could cause injury or greater damage.

The correction stories obviously got a lot less coverage than the original stories.

Anyway, good that the driver and fireman get recognised as well as the machine and designer. Just a shame it took 68 years to come about.

It took a lot longer than that for my Dad and thousands of other to be recognised for their time on the Arctic Convoys in WW2