Lockdown layout project

Voicey

You've made a great job of those 31's and TTA wagons. It just goes to show that you don't need all the latest gear to have a truly convincing and thoroughly enjoyable layout. And to be honest, if you can add sound in post then I would recommend you go down that route rather than paying the earth for over-priced sound decoders and often disappointing soundfiles.

I've got to the point now where I enjoy the 'after sessions' as much as the actual running. It's great to be able to take short video clips and put them together into a video. It's great to be able to pose loco's or trains and take photos using whatever expertise you have and then head on to the computer and add sky effects and so on to create your own pictures. I enjoy using the layout and stock as 'props' as part of my interest in photography.

The work you've put into the 31s and TTA wagons is evident in your video and it's just as enjoyable and realistic as it would have been with models costing many times more.

12 hours ago, mick said:

You've made a great job of those 31's and TTA wagons. It just goes to show that you don't need all the latest gear to have a truly convincing and thoroughly enjoyable layout. And to be honest, if you can add sound in post then I would recommend you go down that route rather than paying the earth for over-priced sound decoders and often disappointing soundfiles.

I've got to the point now where I enjoy the 'after sessions' as much as the actual running. It's great to be able to take short video clips and put them together into a video. It's great to be able to pose loco's or trains and take photos using whatever expertise you have and then head on to the computer and add sky effects and so on to create your own pictures. I enjoy using the layout and stock as 'props' as part of my interest in photography.

The work you've put into the 31s and TTA wagons is evident in your video and it's just as enjoyable and realistic as it would have been with models costing many times more.

Thanks! Its quite fun taking videos and looking for matching sound from the real thing. I would like dcc sound etc, but I simply have to keep things somewhat budget, though its nice to splash out on some of the great new models such as my rake of accurascale ptas. (All the track on this layout is secondhand too, I had a great saving with a big box of used but decent flexitrack). As for the lima 31s they're a great model for the age. Along with the class 73 they were limas finest. Cheap to buy, Bit of detailing and they look good. I was swapping my old lima bodies to hornby railroad chassis, but the railroad 31 is pricey now. I have two with the later plated lima wheel chassis and they run nice with cd tray motors and robust for outdoor.

20210910_154215.thumb.jpg.1adb9bf8356eb661e459d414344818ca.jpg

20210701_180735.jpg

30 minutes ago, Voicey said:

Thanks! Its quite fun taking videos and looking for matching sound from the real thing. I would like dcc sound etc, but I simply have to keep things somewhat budget.....

That's exactly how I feel. Building and operating the layout is great fun but there's so much enjoyment to be had from filming and photographing it afterwards, trying to create a sense of realism that you can relate to.

I just wish that DCC sound was more affordable. It seems bewildering that a single sound decoder can cost almost as much as the price of an entire model locomotive. I suppose it's the same as it used to be when buying a printer where the cost of replacement ink/toner can be more than the initial cost of the printer itself. Surely in these days of mass production, sound decoders can't cost so much to manufacture?

I'm afraid that my skill levels only go so far as daubing on paint and wiping it off again, generally referred to as 'weathering'. I have attempted stock modifications before, several times in fact, and usually they've been destined for the bin rather than the layout. I could never see me attempting to add a CD motor to a locomotive. I have had some success adding etched nameplates!

• 5 weeks later...

Pleased to hear you've not encountered any damage during the storms, especially as you appear to have one or two nearby trees that overhang the layout.

Something I do enjoy seeing on outdoor layouts is the actual wiring running alongside the tracks. It just gives it a sense of something that's actually working. I know that modellers usually go to great lengths to disguise the electrics as much as possible but in my opinion it adds to the scene on an outdoor layout. There's no need to hide it away.

• 3 weeks later...