Rock Valley Garden Railway

Archie

I have been looking at others layouts for a while now and so I thought i'd share my recently constructed loop, its was constructed just after Easter and consists of a single loop with one siding running on dc. I'm happy to provide more details if anyone is interested. I have just added a couple of photos to show off what has been completed so far, ill add some more in the future with trains running. I'm also wandering whats the best way to attach videos? It looks like ill have to upload them to youtube unless there is another way.

IMG_0074.JPG

IMG_0073.JPG

IMG_0072.JPG

IMG_0071.JPG

IMG_0070.JPG

• Like 3

Thanks, I dont have any videos at the moment, I'm still considering the best way to attach them and I just havent got round to filming many trains but ill make sure to take some next time I have the layout running. for now ill leave you with a picture of my class 46 passing the (currently unnamed) station.

IMG_1128.JPG

Theres been a break in the weather today and so I managed to get the railway running and I filmed some trains, the footage is wobbly and the audio cuts out ( I think because I was covering the mic on my phone) but I think I can fix that for next time.

• 2 months later...

Great little layout Archie.

Glad you managed to work out how to incorporate your videos. Youtube is the way to go for most of us as hosting them directly on the forum would simply use too much of our storage and monthly bandwidth.

I looked at the first video and immediately saw room for expansion down that lovely garden area - but that's just me!

As Andrew points out there's always a need to keep the surrounding vegetation in check when your layout's close to ground level. It's amazing how quickly it can take over depending on the time of year.

That first video was taken in late spring, hence the section of temporary trackwork. over the summer the plants took over but nothing some secateurs cant solve.

I would love to expand it to reach the shed and (possibly) round the garden to create 2 running loops, it is possible, but getting permission is the biggest problem.

59 minutes ago, Archie said:

That first video was taken in late spring, hence the section of temporary trackwork. over the summer the plants took over but nothing some secateurs cant solve.

I would love to expand it to reach the shed and (possibly) round the garden to create 2 running loops, it is possible, but getting permission is the biggest problem.

Getting permission is probably just as difficult as securing funding?
And probably the same person decides about both ... 🤣😎

1 hour ago, Archie said:

...I would love to expand it to reach the shed and (possibly) round the garden to create 2 running loops, it is possible, but getting permission is the biggest problem.

I wouldn't be too hasty with any plans for expansion - my comments were intended to come across somewhat tongue in cheek. I just see any open space and think garden railway! Where can I put a viaduct!!

The most important thing I find with any outdoor layout is to take it slowly and ensure that each section is working faultlessly before moving on. The urge is always to continue building but once you start experiencing problems it begins to get you down until you become disillusioned with the whole thing.

You've made a great start and you've got a decent layout already so I would enhance what you've already done and improve its operational reliability as much as you can until it's almost faultless. There's always plenty of time to gradually expand outwards.

5 hours ago, ThomasI said:

Getting permission is probably just as difficult as securing funding?
And probably the same person decides about both ... 🤣😎

yup :)

in terms of expansion nothing will be happening soon, I have some teething troubles to sort around the top loop, where there is a sudden change in gradient, and I want to add some more scenic elements to set it in to the area ( including a viaduct somewhere 😉) the only thing that I'm currently planning is a single track to the shed to make it easier to just run some trains but I'm going to wait till next spring to make sure everything keeps working.

the peak I have is a class 46 but theyre so similar even I mix them up 🤣. its definatley my favourite loco but the body catches the bogies by the gradient change at the top loop, which is why it needs sorting. I'm creating a maroon rake of mk1s but ive lost drive to finish them. they look ok but theyre at around £15 each now for what are still triang coaches, ill finish them some day...

could anyone share any experience on track cleaning, I currently use a brush then track rubber but its a bit of a chore. I was thinking of using alcohol applied by a wagon but is there something simpler that I'm missing?

3 hours ago, Archie said:

could anyone share any experience on track cleaning, I currently use a brush then track rubber but its a bit of a chore. I was thinking of using alcohol applied by a wagon but is there something simpler that I'm missing?

I use an industrial vacuum cleaner (one that also picks up liquids and wet substances) and then a rail rubber.
For light soiling, I use a rail grinding car and a rail vacuum cleaner car.

6 hours ago, Archie said:

..could anyone share any experience on track cleaning, I currently use a brush then track rubber but its a bit of a chore. I was thinking of using alcohol applied by a wagon but is there something simpler that I'm missing?

I use a Garryflex abrasive rubber block (240 grit, brown coloured one) rather than a standard track rubber and in my other hand a 2 inch paintbrush. Doesn't take too long to go round the entire layout. Afterwards I use a CMX track cleaner (wow! surprised by how much they cost now!)  filled with IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) solution usually propelled round the track by my 26024 and sent round at intervals during the session as required just to keep things clean.

And don't forget a good loco wheel cleaner. I use something similar to the Gaugemaster GM59 but for the life of me I can't remember exactly what it's called.