Best wood for outdoor use

MANlWAKI

Hi,
The forum can be a bit slow sometimes, not many people check in daily. Sometimes only every few weeks so the best answer may take a while.

As for wood, it depends what and how you are using it. I've got limited experience outside of decent 12mm birch plywood board.

I think that the most important thing is making sure all of your boards are thoroughly protected from moisure. All board types will absorb it, MDF and chipboard probably a little faster than plywood and even with plywood the cheap stuff will be much worse than the expensive. I've used 3 coats of yacht varnish to protect my birch ply and more coats on the edges. Any board will need adequate support or bracing to prevent sagging. For bridges and lengths where width isn't important people have also used solid pieces of timber, such as decking or pallet timbers.

1 hour ago, Clay Mills Junction said:

Hi,
The forum can be a bit slow sometimes, not many people check in daily. Sometimes only every few weeks so the best answer may take a while.

I noted that. No problem at all. I'm not in a big hurry !

Many thanks for your answer. Much appreciated.

Id probably stay away from MDF as it absorbs moisture like a sponge, my limited experience is with 16mm OSB which with a coat of shed paint and covered in roof felt has seemed to have held up well, though it has only been in existence for 3 months so in the long term I dont know.

• Thanks 1

There is one product which Thomas alerted us to, some months back. It is made in Ireland and is very expensive but sounds ideal. Check out "Medite Tricoya Extreme". An 8' x 4' piece 12mm thick can be had at present for £241.30 online. The blurb says   "Medite Tricoya MDF is a revolutionary board that is characterised by its durability, dimensional stability and reliability properties, meaning it may be used in situations and applications where normal MDF panels cannot, even in changing weather conditions. It can be cut, machined and used in exactly the same way as other wood fibreboards and is longer lasting, perfect for outdoor use or wet (interior) environments.  It is made using a high performance resin which is also zero added formaldehyde, meaning the product not only exceeds EU E1 but is also CARB2 compliant.  The product also comes with a 50 year Medite Tricoya guarantee, providing peace of mind. All boards are FSC® certified".

I'm afraid I've no personal experience of the product and have no connection with the maker or any supplier.

• 1 year later...

There’s a new preserved wood available - accoya - they guarantee 50 years above ground and 25 below or in water

https://www.accoya.com/uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMImefijoiC_gIVYoBQBh2o4AisEAAYASAAEgKMg_D_BwE

I don’t know the cost or what sizes are available though. But the timber merchant I’ve used says it’s cut to your requirements and either rough or planed as required

Edited by Paul-l

Sounds good going by the website. Although my guess is there will be a fair premium on the price and it would be nice to see some real world independent reviews.

Things I've noticed are a limited number of suppliers, nearest to me is Leicester which is a fair trek.

There's also conditions on the guarantees about how the wood is treated.