How did we ever manage without Internet/WiFi?

mick

We've recently made some changes to our home broadband and in the process of doing so I thought it would be interesting to work out just how many devices we have around the home that use or even depend on a Wifi or LAN connection to the Internet. Looking at our router configuration there was an amazing number of devices currently connected but not all of the ones I was aware of were actually listed as being online, so just how many are there?

Would it surprise you to learn that in our house we have noted down 34 devices that require access to the Internet at some point and for some particular reason? It might be a phone, a PC or laptop, a tablet, a TV or some other 'connected' device, either way, it's a staggering number of devices that utilise an Internet connection. Makes you wonder how we ever managed before doesn't it?

9 minutes ago, mick said:

We've recently made some changes to our home broadband and in the process of doing so I thought it would be interesting to work out just how many devices we have around the home that use or even depend on a Wifi or LAN connection to the Internet. Looking at our router configuration there was an amazing number of devices currently connected but not all of the ones I was aware of were actually listed as being online, so just how many are there?

Would it surprise you to learn that in our house we have noted down 34 devices that require access to the Internet at some point and for some particular reason? It might be a phone, a PC or laptop, a tablet, a TV or some other 'connected' device, either way, it's a staggering number of devices that utilise an Internet connection. Makes you wonder how we ever managed before doesn't it?

Two tablets on wifi, main computer wired to router, and that's it.

We could quite easily do without it.. SWMBO mostly uses hers for Art tutorials, Me for sailing or boat design research. it would be go back to buying more books and videos if we didn't have it. Not really a problem..

Well I personally would find it very difficult, at this time, to manage without an Internet connection. I'm just thinking of all the things we would have to give up that have made our lives so much easier over recent years. The only drawback with devices that depend on the Internet is the fact that they do depend on that Internet connection in order to function - without it they just won't work.

Barry has already pointed out video doorbells and CCTV camera's which are a great asset to home security but without a connection to the outside world they're nigh on useless if you are away from home. Sure, they'll still function on your home network but they are most useful when you are able to access them remotely.

How on earth could we manage without Alexa? Who would turn on the lights or play the local radio station or our favourite music? You've got to admit, life would not be the same without a bit of fibre!

• Like 1