Recommendation wanted for Cordless drill

Clay Mills Junction

Hi there,

I have a small Bosch drill/driver that has a lithium ion battery, must be nearly 15 years old now and is still excellent BUT recently, my brother in law helped me redo my bathroom ceiling and he was using a pair of Screwfix drill/drivers, they seemed very impressive to me!

This was it: https://www.screwfix.com/p/mac-allister-msdd18-li-2-18v-1-5ah-li-ion-cordless-drill-driver/873fx

I can't vouch for the longevity of this as I can for the Bosch, I see the modern equivalent of mine is now about £65 - WITHOUT battery! Similar again for a battery but as I always say, you get what you pay for. Plus, I always say, always buy the best tools you can afford.

Hope this helps,

John, just a DIYer, not a professional of any kind.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 25/10/2020 at 12:27, Clay Mills Junction said:

I've picked up a Ryobi One+ percussion drill from B&Q. It was on offer with two batteries, charger and case. I'll see how this goes and then may get the lawnmower as the batteries fit the whole range.

That looks a decent product Barry and the fact that the batteries are interchangeable throughout the range is an added bonus. I knew that the same battery could be used to power their drills, saws and other similar tools but was surprised to hear that you can use them with a lawnmower too. I wonder what the anticipated running time is for items such as lawnmowers and chainsaws? High capacity branded batteries look rather expensive compared to some of the cheaper 'compatible' ones out there.

• Like 1

I'd get the lawnmower with a bigger battery, probably 5ah. That should do front and back lawns but the drill batteries would finish it off if it ran out of charge towards the end.

You got me thinking, would one of the saws be a good cutter for aerated blocks. I've already got my evolution saw and an angle grinder with a stone cutting disk but maybe the reciprocating saw might work better. Probably not worth the outlay for the number of blocks to be done.

11 hours ago, Clay Mills Junction said:

....You got me thinking, would one of the saws be a good cutter for aerated blocks. I've already got my evolution saw and an angle grinder with a stone cutting disk but maybe the reciprocating saw might work better. Probably not worth the outlay for the number of blocks to be done.

I'm sure you'd find additional uses for a reciprocating saw if you got one but as you say, for the sake of a few blocks alone it's probably not worth the expense. In my experience you'd definitely need a supply of blades to go with it as the blocks soon eat into them. That was the reason I chose to use old hand saws and I got through a number of them while cutting the blocks as well as files while shaping them!