Killarney Junction

Marcus

I think the track will be okay Marcus although I've not experienced an Aussie Summer. Mine has been fine in the direct sunshine we get here in the UK and sometimes it's exposed for perhaps 2 or 3 days at a time and on occasions above 20 degrees!!

• 1 month later...

Hi Marcus

Firstly, I've merged your recent video links with your layout thread to keep things together in one place. Have you decided on a name for the layout yet? If you can let me know what it is I will then edit the title of this thread (which I've moved across from the planning section) so that you're up to date and in one place.

Great videos by the way. It's always nice to finally see something running after following a layouts construction. I particularly enjoyed the final video of the Swiss Bavaria Express rounding the curve - such a natural looking setting which looks a great spot for watching and filming trains. Nice weather too!

Hi Mick,

Many thanks for merging the videos! I'm not great when it comes to uploading things in the correct place!

Also, the name of the layout is 'Killarney Junction' - named after the street we live in!

Please feel free to change the title.

And yes, I was pleased with the day's running. I also have some video of my LMS steam 4-6-0 pulling some maroon stock. It's not a great runner though, as it's an old Airfix model.
I think it's time to get a newer British steam loco!

Regards,

Marcus

On 07/10/2020 at 13:29, Marcus said:

Thanks Mick, Many thanks for your comment, 

It was a great moment to have the loop completed! I've got loads of stock to play with (lots of European and BR stock). I just hope the track work holds up well in our harsh Australian Summer!! I'll be covering the exposed track to keep the sun an UV from doing too much damage. Luckily most of the track is in shade from the conifer trees.

Regards,

Marcus

Hello Marcus!

Well, with me in the Rhine Valley there is no Australian summer, but thanks to climate change we have up to 8 weeks without rain at a time with daytime temperatures of over 30 ° C to over 40 ° C.
I had and still have fewer problems with sunlight and tracks, but I did have some problems with various plastics that I had used as a substructure.
It was not even the UV light that damaged it, but rather the heating of the material associated with solar radiation, which, depending on how dark the material was colored, easily exceeded 60 ° C and must have exceeded 120 ° C in at least one case, because that was the temperature at which the rigid foam board in question should be deformable according to the manufacturer - and it was deformed without my intervention.

By the way: The catenary on your former layout was a real eye-catcher.
What material did you use to make the contact wires?

Best Regards

Thomas

Hi Thomas, Thank you for your comments. Luckily a lot of the track on my layout is under cover of the conifer trees, so it doesn't get much sun.

I try to keep the rest of the track covered up when its very sunny - especially the 3 Peco points.

Re my old indoor layout, I used fishing line for the contact wires, so it obviously didn't run electricity, but it was under tension, so the pantographs actually contacted them.

The posts were a mix of scratch built and Peco ones (the older plastic variety).

I'm actually now playing with some old Hornby/Tri-ang catenary on my indoor test track setup. It works pretty well, although it's not really scale looking. I'll put a video up on youtube.

Regards, Marcus

12 hours ago, Marcus said:

Hi Thomas, Thank you for your comments. Luckily a lot of the track on my layout is under cover of the conifer trees, so it doesn't get much sun.

I try to keep the rest of the track covered up when its very sunny - especially the 3 Peco points.

Re my old indoor layout, I used fishing line for the contact wires, so it obviously didn't run electricity, but it was under tension, so the pantographs actually contacted them.

The posts were a mix of scratch built and Peco ones (the older plastic variety).

I'm actually now playing with some old Hornby/Tri-ang catenary on my indoor test track setup. It works pretty well, although it's not really scale looking. I'll put a video up on youtube.

Regards, Marcus

Hello Marcus!

Yes, I built a shade sail above my train station on the terrace and also planted a few shady plants.

Fishing line, that's an interesting idea too!

Regards, Thomas

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, just thought I'd share my new project from Sunny (well actually it's been raining all day) Sydney. Still in the planning/build stage. Im using an existing retaining timber wall for most of the track bed. it's a simple single loop of track with a relief section for the station. I've got all my OO British Rail rolling stock, plus lots of German Swiss HO stock, so will run them all.

Hi Marcus, I see Sydney where you live, so that means I am not alone any more awesome you made use of your wooden retaining wall , got a second level you can make use of later, make use of all that shade, Sydney gets pretty hot in summer like where I live in S/E Queensland Ipswich the summers get very hot. I have gone module in my outdoor layout because it gets too hot, ply wont last long as well the points what you are saying is correct, only got today the weekend building up again to 38 degrees next Tuesday.

Look forward to having a good chat.

Tony from down under S/E, QLD

Hi Tony, Thanks for your comments! I've Been looking at your layout progress which looks amazing! Great to know there's at least 2 OO/HO garden modellers in AUS! I've decided to keep this layout pretty simple and so that it doesn't sand out too much (need to keep the wife happy on that front!).
I'm trying to really keep the exposed track covered up when not in use. The ply I used is only in a few places, and I painted it with two coats of exterior paint and covered with roof bitumen, so it will hopefully last a while! 

I've been doing some landscaping work on the tunnel/return loop section of which I'll post some pics. I've also decided to get some US/Canadian stock and have just purchased a CN Athearn loco and 10 freight wagons! It's a railway that covers many continents!

I wanted to get a Japanese HO bullet train set, but they are way too expensive!

Speak soon.

Cheers,

Marcus

Morning Marcus,

Yeah at long last two of us from down under, there used to be another bloke from the Blue <mountains (Roy ) he never finished his layout very sad  was awesome 00 scale , made covers to protect the track, the  hot and humid climate finished that project  , why I went module out door railway taking long to build, my modules are built to last and holding out well in the garden shed. Monday I will open the doors to get the heat out does get pretty hot .

Yesterday I worked on one of the approach modules, wasn't happy with the way I first laid down the points and track, module isn't long enough to to fit in a small cross over, the Indian Pacific will have to access the centre track for the outside track on the curve so I can split the train like the real thing.

Later I plan to add an extension to my station complex, platforms one and two Sydney  central, for my terminus track will have five  terminus track platforms , aim is to finish the first track circuit  down with passing loops, got two boxes of track hope that be enough.

Are you on Facebook  can chat on messenger, let me know in send a message in the forum.

I have a  few British trains, Virgin Cross Country 5 car DMU set Bachman, two Flying Scot 4472 sets, Thomas the Tanks engine, I am thinking of selling  duel tender drive Flying Scot, want a diesel probably 60 class., Thaly's TGV 11 car set both loco's powered and ICE/3 8 car set.  Most of my trains are tied up with passenger trains do have a few freight trains , a mixture is US trains, and of course Aussie.

A few of my loco collection need some TCL work done on them some are pretty old like the XPT in 00 scale both loco's are powered, down the track plan to re-motor them and modify them with the latest colour NSW colour scheme.

It is a nice warm sunny mid morning here in Ipswich warming up already 30 degrees in the, yeah got to keep our wife's happy, mine would be happy if I scrapped the layout no way .

Look ford to your reply , Tony from hot S/E QLD

• 3 weeks later...

Great videos - thanks for sharing Marcus. 

When it's windy here I'm more concerned with it blowing stock off the track rather than debris onto it. Lightweight wagons are especially susceptible to a strong gust and a rake of them can easily be toppled. 

Thanks Mick,

I waited until the wind had dropped a little to be on the safe side. The timber supporting edging I put in place also gives peace-of-mind that they can't fall onto the ground from the raised track, either through wind gusts or derailing!

Regards,

Marcus

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I see you also have an O gauge line there.  You'll have to be careful not to step on it!

Anyway, that's a very nice video of the 00 Hymek - looks quite atmospheric.

Edited by Andrew
more