The Pickle Line

SwannyUK

All the track is now down in the garage, just in the process of wiring up.

Having a play about with ideas for the station area. I'd love to have the station building on the road bridge level but due to having 2 very "inquisitive" cats I'm going to be developing some sort of hinged top that will sit flush on top of bridges either side of the scenic section so little paws and teeth can't get at my signals etc in the future!

garage.jpg

Station.jpg

Some good weather so more progress made today ready for the bridge to be fitted later this week.

I could have taken the easy option and done a straight run but decided to add some interest with an "S". Once complete I'm hoping to put some nice big shrubs or plants either side of the bridge between the track and the fence to give the impression of the trains breaking out of cover.

IMG_20200706_183556.jpg

All looking very promising.  Keep up the good work, and let's hope for more fine weather.

The design of the layout looks great, as it will be really handy to be able to shunt in the garage and marshall the trains indoors.  But it occurs to me that if you ever have one-man-operation, you won't be able to enjoy the outdoor section while monitoring the trains safely through the junctions inside the garage.  Mind you, Mick seems to manage similar issues alright, so it should be fine.  Worst case would be that you could build a garage bypass loop!

Edited by Andrew
spelling
  • Thanks 1

Cheers Andrew. I'll be using it almost like 2 separate layouts.

When outside I'll just have a couple running around whilst I potter about, not needing to worry about the garage section. The 2 medium points they need to navigate should be reliable enough (I hope) that I can just leave the trains running on the mainline. Should I want to swap trains I'll head in to the garage.

30 minutes ago, traingeekboy said:

Been looking at all your photos. how do you create the bent frames on your curves. The framing looks very reliable on the out side layout.

I make cuts in the lengths of wood about two thirds depth and every 100mm or so. I then offer it up to where it needs to go, secure one end and see if any more cuts are needed.

Once happy I screw in place then use wood glue in the cuts and on the outside edge just for belt and braces.

That's great work Chris and nice to see the little fella sitting there enjoying the fruits of your labours. It's a great little setup, nice and robust, that should provide enjoyment for all of you for a good few years to come. And it would appear you've had the best of the weather today unlike here where it's been constantly dull and drizzly.

• Thanks 1

The Class 25 was out on cleaning duties this afternoon.

With a light rub over using the DCC concepts track cleaning block and then a run around with the track cleaner (with a few sprays of IPA on the track here and there) the rails have come up lovely.

MVIMG_20200722_133408.jpg

IMG_20200722_133503.jpg

IMG_20200722_134238.jpg