Smokey Joe upgrade to On30

chris

With The Paltryville Ridge and Peak Railroad now running services it is time to increase the size of the working loco fleet.

Task one was to DCC a Porter I bought 3 years ago. For 2 years I thought it couldn't be done because taking it apart was next impossible. Turns out, it was quite easy. So I did that last year. Then I spent a lot of time trying to workout how to hide the chip and wires. As is my usual practice, I left it in a box in bits for year.

Yesterday, with the new determination of lockdown life I had another go. This time it was going to happen. And low, it did happen.

4B2F3F87-E3B2-4D16-A305-A2C7282DD444.thumb.jpeg.cccdc5f64a93df5e58e25025e2424c10.jpeg

I chose a different location for the chip, between the pistons rather than in the cab. this simplified and shortened the wiring. It became a simple job: cut, strip and solder wire.

IMG_8926.thumb.JPG.7c0ca57d972c214b27312eaa7229b546.JPG

More surprise than relief, it worked first time, headlight an all.

So on to the next loco that has been in bits for a year, or nearer two. Good ol' Smokey Joe.

228EFAED-AAAC-4FBF-9F1B-E0882C8357CB.thumb.JPG.59688a69708ff3496b9569d2017ef9d2.JPG

Its a classic loco to convert to O-16.5 for UK modellers. I'm going freestyle American.

I hacked the cab off with a razor saw, the buffers had been previously been liberated by the same tool. The digital calliper went to work on the dimensions and graph paper sketches were draw to get a feel of a design. Lots of prototypes were viewed until something I liked emerged. This afternoon I fired up the plotter cutter and knocked up a cardboard prototype cab and coal bunker.

IMG_8928.thumb.JPG.c83e61aea2612216984ece88ea27536b.JPG

I'm adding a bogie to turn it into a 0-4-4. Seeing USATC 2253 "Omaha" on the NYMR last summer, I was taken with the design of having bogies under the tender. A trailing bogie isn't uncommon on US narrow gauge locos, and I had a spare...

I plan to make the cab from styrene. This will be the first time I've used it with the plotter cutter so there will be a learning curve.

Two steps forward one step back. Most of yesterday was spent working on the trailing bogie. Getting the wheels to pick up power took an age. After a few test runs I found that my simple pivot system wasn't good enough and I will require a second pivot point. This shouldn't be too difficult to achieve, but having snapped one bogie yesterday I can't make that mistake again with my backup one wheel set.

• 2 years later...

Picking up this thread again, I'm pleased to see that Smokey Joe has only been stuck in the "Active Projects Box" for a 34 months. I thought it had taken a lot longer. I think it was in the "To-Do Box" for a couple of years. 

The push I needed to get going again came in the shape of rectangular brass tube. This enabled me to create a working link between the chassis and the rear bogie. The next challenge was couplings. Last year I bought a working coupling for one of my locos, to replace the dummy it is supplied with. Annoyingly the replacement was only sold as a pair. This annoyance turned to be a godsend. With a bit of fettling I fitted it to Smokey Joe.

IMG_2275.thumb.jpeg.2821c9891e236b191ee2aa3cb2af7aa9.jpeg

I designed a NEM pocket for the rear and my mate 3D printed it. I put a Kadee in.

IMG_2289.thumb.jpeg.2ba8b2f5314a1d1e87a9bc55f970a332.jpeg

I added running boards and a coat of black aerosol.

IMG_2282.thumb.jpeg.08f5fc2bd7af174544754e76f293aa97.jpeg

Almost there. But the chimney was chronically undersized. More time was spent in Tinkercad. I designed a new Chimney and a lamp for good measure. Again the files were emailed to my mate for 3D print.

IMG_2291.thumb.jpeg.4a141783c89f5c03a1cbd94ae5e0d310.jpeg

I could add more details, but I think that will do for the construction. Just need to add a number plate to match up with the rest of my fleet. 

• Like 1

On 13/06/2020 at 17:54, mick said:

Smashing stuff Chris. Look forward to seeing it finished and on the layout soon!

There was no need to go rushing on my account Chris!

All I can say is it was worth the wait - you've made an excellent job of it. Not that I know myself but it must be extremely satisfying to produce something yourself rather than it being shop-bought.