Z21 WLANMAUS handheld controller

mick

Today I experienced a problem when using my Z21 WLANMAUS handheld controller, and it's not the first time it's happened to me. Maybe I'm asking or expecting too much from it so here's what's been happening.

I have a database of a number of loco's stored on the controller, all in numerical order, and I select a loco by using the left/right buttons. Now if I control just the one loco then there's never any problem but if I try to control two then occasionally, as I use the left/right buttons to scroll through the loco list, some other loco will start to move. As I say, it's probably my fault and if I digested the manual then perhaps the WLANMAUS is only supposed to control a single loco at a time. It is a bit awkward taking control of two I admit, especially if you have to keep scrolling through the loco database to the loco you need, but I find it better than having a controller in one hand and another device in the other.

Because of the number of times it's happened I now make doubly sure that when I've finished with a particular loco I ensure that the controller dial is centred in the 'stop' position and yet I can often scroll through and come across a loco that might not even be on the layout at that time but that has it's speed control in the running position - either forward or reverse.

I believe Dave @Riddles uses the Z21 system and I wondered if he had any experience of the WLANMAUS controller or had heard any similar stories?

Am I just doing it wrong and should I stick to one loco on the controller at any one time?

Sorry Mick, as I said on Friday on the DCC Systems thread, although I do have a WLANMAUS , I find it easier to use an iPhone or iPad so I don't have a lot of experience of it.

There are two (at least) groups on Facebook which might be able to answer your question, if you ever use that media. They are
Z21, Digikeijs & automatic control users group and Roco/Fleischmann Z21 Users Group . I find the first very technical and the second perhaps a bit basic but I expect someone on one of them could help.

Thanks for that Dave. I've never used Facebook but I'm sure if I search hard enough there'll be something turn up. I have a feeling that the WLANMAUS is designed for operating one train at a time, which perhaps applies to most controllers. You can only have control of one loco at a time even if you've set a number of loco's running. I've noticed that other loco's tend to move only when I scroll quickly through the loco database and not if I take my time and do it slowly. I'll just have to use two devices I suppose to be on the safe side. Maybe I need to use my phone and tablet more often but I'm just used to having that dial and buttons!