Supports for base boards

I’m just in the early planning stage of an oo gauge garden railway in a smaller garden 30 feet x 15 feet.  There is a lot of discussion around boards but less around the supports. I’m thinking of using wooden fence posts to support the boards.  Would anyone have any advice on successful support methods that they have employed? How far have posts been set in the ground, and was postcrete used? Thank you for any advice! Kind regards, David

Hi David, welcome to the forum.

I can't offer any worthwhile advice regarding using wooden fence posts as supports as I don't use them myself so I can't vouch for how suitable they would be or how long they would last. I would imagine that the type of ground would dictate how deep they would need setting as well as how high the baseboards were going to be. I can't really see a problem using them, other than the potential for rotting in the ground, and would expect them to last a good few years. 

I was wondering if something like square plastic downpipe might be suitable or something similar? Have you considered anything like that?

9 hours ago, mick said:

Hi David, welcome to the forum.

I can't offer any worthwhile advice regarding using wooden fence posts as supports as I don't use them myself so I can't vouch for how suitable they would be or how long they would last. I would imagine that the type of ground would dictate how deep they would need setting as well as how high the baseboards were going to be. I can't really see a problem using them, other than the potential for rotting in the ground, and would expect them to last a good few years. 

I was wondering if something like square plastic downpipe might be suitable or something similar? Have you considered anything like that?

Hi Mick,

Many thanks for your message - lots of good ideas to think about there. I’m trying to plan as well as possible up front to avoid later issues, although I imagine there will be some things I miss.

Best wishes,

David