starting

EVaNS42

1 hour ago, EVaNS42 said:

what is the best way to start?

...at the beginning!

Hi, welcome to the forum.

I'm assuming you mean the best way to start building an OO gauge garden railway? Well from experience I'd suggest having a good think about what it is you want to achieve and not starting anything until you've planned everything out. If it's to be just a temporary set-up to run a few trains during the current restrictions then obviously almost anything that you can lay track on would suffice. On the other hand, if it's to be a permanent addition to your garden then you do need to give it serious thought if you want to achieve satisfactory running over the longer term.

There are several layouts on the forum, each of which detail the methods used in their construction, the problems encountered along the way and solutions that have been found to overcome them. It would be worthwhile taking note of these as it may save you a lot of trouble and frustrations further down the line.

Maybe you could let us know your thoughts and what type of layout you are hoping to construct in order that we may be able to offer you more detailed advice.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EVaNS42 said:

so i should find a board around 12cm wide?

Why don't you just buy decking boards like so many have done? That will do a double track. You need more than that on bends and stations and any yards. This is why you have to have a plan to work to. I can't start buying materials for anything until I know what I want at the end. Your best place to sart is to read, read, and read again, until you know what you want.

23 hours ago, EVaNS42 said:

what is the best way to start?

Copy someone else. There's load of photos on here. Find a garden railway you like. Read that topic and do as they do. Thats how I started.