B12 troubles.

confused?

Hey people, I have a little Caledonian tank engine that has really come alive pulling on the garden line, still under construction between the weird, baking hot/cold and windy mix we seem to have lately. Chugging around at scale speed with some freight looks lovely and runs like a swiss watch.

My point, we also have a b12, that did not take to the transition so well. It ran for maybe 15 minutes, had never run that long in our ownership before (set bought second hand). I am now a master at quartering and wheel cleaning and lubrication, yes maybe a little late. It just doesent want to run, the motor works but put it under load and it is not very powerful and gets hot.

I have been trying to track down spares, especially the pick ups as someone has really crackerd them (so the power is unreliable increasing current), bent 3 ways from Sunday. 

Should I persevere with this chassis, or get a donor chassis. Motor and pickups with postage are starting at 20quid  or so but haven't found any available. There are locos on ebay and such but the prices are like a lucky dip. What are the goto places for you guys. 

Running outside will wear these little guys so spares are going to be needed. Repair or will she be a railyard static?

She is a green b12 number 8544 in good nick other than the running issues.

Edited by confused?

I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help as I know very little about anything other than wheel cleaning.

If I was looking for spares then I'd certainly take a look on ebay or on the Peters Spares website https://www.petersspares.com/ (also advertises on ebay). You should be able to get hold of spares relatively cheaply or even a complete loco if you're lucky enough though the current lockdown situation may mean spares remain on order at many places.

Regarding the pickups, is it something you could probably make yourself using some phosphor bronze wire? I take it they just wipe on the wheel rims or backs? Googling phosphor-bronze wiper pickups should give you ideas.

Failing repair you could always remove the motor and any gears and run it behind a more capable loco in double headed formation.

12 hours ago, mick said:

If I was looking for spares then I'd certainly take a look on ebay or on the Peters Spares website https://www.petersspares.com/ (also advertises on ebay). 

Failing repair you could always remove the motor and any gears and run it behind a more capable loco in double headed formation.

Thanks, peters spares was the place I have been dealing with. This little b12 has taught me a lot. Kind of want to save the old girl now. May look to a donor.

• 1 year later...

I'm new to the forum and just read this. I noticed that Sam's Trains (not to everyones taste) has just released a video on issues with Hornby B12's and thought I would share. Not sure if yours is of the same type or if you have the problem solved now.

Edited by Loco Hauled
Embedding didn't work as expected

I have 2 Hornby B12s in green here. Not sure of the numbers. They both ran perfectly, but have not been used for some years.  Make me an offer. I need to get them out from the back of the shed.