Pentney Parkway

Noisynoel

Hi Mark,

I operate through a Lenz 23151 (USB & LAN Interface). The Lenz command station connects to the 23151 via the Xpressnet. The 23151 then connects to a router. I use a stand alone route as my home router is miles from the garden! Connect your iphone (Or similar) to said router, that will then allow the touchcab to connect to Lenz.

• 2 weeks later...

So, not that work is out of the way for a week and the weather "isn't too bad", I thought I'd crack on with the rebuilding of Pentney Parkway Station.

All four platforms have now been built, all hold a loco + 7. I decided not to make them longer as this starts to involve curved platforms! The sidings have been laid today and the wiring finished. Lessons learnt from the original siding mean that the "Back Road" curves at the end following the main line to avoid going into the back corner where the leaves build up, and only two loco sidings instead of three avoid the tight reverse curve over the pointwork for loco's.

Hopefully this weekend will see the return of trains to the layout (Only the 25 out today on track testing!)

IMG_0620.thumb.JPG.f31c95a31f03bedf7e497ad26bee6eea.JPG

All platforms now in place awaiting lights and sundries. Sidings now in waiting for buffer stops.

IMG_0603.thumb.JPG.ea2cb5397001998f3d427b72371c0ad1.JPG

4 Cep on an Up Semi-fast past 47712 on the push/pull set in platforms 3 & 4

• Like 1

So, not able to do much on the garden railway today (frustrating with glorious weather!) as my back is screaming at me, I started out cleaning my loco's instead, however, it didn't take long so I decided to start cleaning the loco's I've inherited from Jez Laming for his Staple exhibition layout... I couldn't resist and I know Jez would have loved to watch Norman pulling a long (by light railway standards) coal train over the JL Memorial bridge! Not the usual fare on Pentney Parkway but it looked good and ran well.

https://youtu.be/JNmwyC6Zdtk

• 2 weeks later...

So I spent a couple of hours this afternoon just running trains a s a reward for soldering joints left right and centre. I thought I'd do some video's at the same time, however, it doesn't always turn out right.... 

I had 6 trains out on the layout this afternoon, with two in each direction at once, the most I've run solo. Can't wait for this lockdown to be over so I can have my planned "open day" with friends round to drive whilst I film!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Perhaps we should have an 'It'll be alright on the night' thread? I've got a folder on my PC where I put outtakes with the intention of putting them together in a video one day.

Derailments aside it's looking good Noel though I should watch my speed through the station and over that turnout. Should be a good day out for everyone when you're able to meet your friends and have that open day.

5 hours ago, mick said:

Perhaps we should have an 'It'll be alright on the night' thread? I've got a folder on my PC where I put outtakes with the intention of putting them together in a video one day.

Derailments aside it's looking good Noel though I should watch my speed through the station and over that turnout. Should be a good day out for everyone when you're able to meet your friends and have that open day.

You should see some of the derailments my 2 kittens have caused! I'd be at one end thinking "Hmm, where's the train gone" Only to walk down and find half in the flower bed and the other half on the grass! The buggers never do it whilst I'm watching though!

• 2 months later...

So, where was I, oh yes, last time I'd really put any update on here was shortly after rebuilding the main station, Pentney Parkway, well, since then a lot has happened. I decided that I didn't want to progress the station any further, eg platforms and lighting, until I had a suitable way of protecting it from the elements (This includes 4 legged incursions!!), or more specifically the rain and leaves from the Willow Tree that the station is under. It was the dear lady wife who, after some deliberation came up with a tarpaulin, fixed to the fence, by hooks but wrapped around a 2"x2" batten at the bottom. The idea is that the batten weights it down on the ground in front of the layout when out of use, but when trains a running, the tarpaulin can be rolled up and placed on two large brackets above the station. It's crude but very effective! 

The next stage was to sort out the ground infront of the station as it was just hard soil, this has been cleared and gravel laid instead meaning that if it has been raining I won't slip a over b! My stool and a much bucket  now live under the station so loose leaves are easily collected and I have somewhere to sit for shunting!

So now I'm in a position to continue with the station. Platform lights have been added, I went for the newly released Model Signs ones as they fit the era I'm portraying (BR Blue to sectorisation). These have all been wired into the track feed, although I m thinking of separating them off onto their own supply. benches and people have now also been added so it does look more like a station now. Behind the platforms a fuel point (Again with lights fitted) has been installed complete with portacabin, whilst the loco servicing point has gained lighting as have the portacabins next to it.

IMG_0811.thumb.JPG.79a1000a55fae76af37a2e9054b2a98d.JPG

Meanwhile down at Pentney Town station, the surrounding buildings have been put in place on the removable board and fitted with lights. A trip to a secondhand model shop saw £70 spent on some suitable 2nd hand buildings, not a bad haul to be fair!

IMG_0825.thumb.JPG.8ecea78329613aed9160443e2ac42a25.JPG

The last "major" job was on the Jez Laming Memorial Bridge. This now has lights fitted under the top, whilst not authentic it does look very effective at night.

So, plenty of work has taken place, but I have had some time to run trains. I managed last month to get a small handful of friends round for a running session, which started of well but ended up being aborted owing to "power supply issues" (I thought I was at work then!!!). After several days of testing and seeking help on the DCC forum's I narrowed the issue down to my transformer only putting out 10v AC instead of 16! A new transformed has now been obtained and all is running well again.

Several video's have been taken as well, these can all be viewed on my you tube (They are all un editied as I'm not as clever as some of you on here and have yet to learn how to edit and put words etc on them!). My favorites thought are these:-

47145 passes the Rockery 

Noel

• Like 2

That's really, really nice Noel. I know you mentioned you had an update looming but I didn't expect so much progress. You are a braver man than me with all those lights out there though - I ruled things like that out due to birds rather than 4 legged creatures as I have a pigeon that likes to rip my Thyme plants apart. But those lights do look stunning in that night-time photo above. I would recommend putting them on their own power supply rather than feeding from the track but that shouldn't be too much of a job.

The lights over the bridge look great too making another excellent location for those after dark shots.

You'll be thankful for that gravel you've put down if my experiences with muddy ground was anything to go by. I used to detest the thought of having to go out there after a downpour treading in all the mud.

It all looks stunning and it must be a source of great enjoyment now that you've reached this stage.

• 1 year later...

So it's been a while, owing to the "usual reason" - Covid. Luckily I only had a mild bout of it, however, with it being so preflific I have ended up working almost constantly for the past 2 years, trying to keep the railways of Britan running. This has left very little time for the garden railway. That all changes today! Glorious sunshine was alli needed to get out there and clean the track after sevral months laying dormant. A couple of "niggly" wiring faults, that, thankfully do not prevent running - a benifit of having plenty of feeds! Some TLC needed on the station as it appears cats have managed to get under the tarpaulin and knock benches & shelters off and twits the lights in all sorts of directions. A bit of gardening required as the snowdrops have gone nuts, but all in all, not to bad and it runs. So of course as it was a work day a ballast train was the order of the day. https://youtu.be/G8cXZ7CACPI

Good to see you back up and running and to hear that you've recovered from the Covid.

Wiring faults are not unusual at this time of year, seems most of us have been having them but glad you've got it sorted.

That ballast train looks very clean! Are you one for weathering or do you prefer keeping things pristine? I know a lot of people don't like the idea of weathering their stock.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/04/2022 at 20:41, mick said:

Good to see you back up and running and to hear that you've recovered from the Covid.

Wiring faults are not unusual at this time of year, seems most of us have been having them but glad you've got it sorted.

That ballast train looks very clean! Are you one for weathering or do you prefer keeping things pristine? I know a lot of people don't like the idea of weathering their stock.

I don't like them weathered but have yet to tackle the 'art' of weathering! 

Bit low at the moment as were having some lovely weather at the moment, but now I've gone down with the flu and feel very lethargic as a result. I feel deciding a date for an "open day" may give me the motivation to get off me rear end.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So, Pentney Parkway is to open to an audience this Sunday. Our local Parish Council are having a Garden Safari so it's the ideal excuse. A group of freinds will be helping me operate, some for the first time. Now just to repair the point that got damaged by a falling branch, clean the track, clear the leaves, ties a plant back.... oh god... it's never going to be ready in time!!!

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

So, the garden open day... "we'll only get half a dozen people" she said, "we've never see many going round in previous years" she said... Flippin' heck! I'm so glad I asked a couple of freinds to come a drive for the day, we saw around 100 people, from small kids to the elderly, come visit the garden and all of them were facsinated with the railway and several went away with "ideas". A couple of people were already modellers from the locality are now thinking of venturing into the garden (Don't worry Mick, I pointed them this way for help & ideas). So a very succesful day, lots of people & lots of trains running. Th eonly downside was that there was so many people to talk to that no filming or photography got done! So to make up for it, as I have been at home all week I done some filiming today. The thing I like about modelling in the garden is that there are so many different locations to see the railway and they are constantly changing. One of my favorites during the summer is watching trains round Rockery Corner, dissapearing between the rocks and the foilage. Even better when it's one of my favorite trains, a pair of 37's on the steel train 

• Like 2

Well done on your garden open day. Was this a charity event or part of the National Open Day scheme? I have enjoyed following your railway and been on the ground does make it more life like. I would have liked to have done that but with age and back troubles its high up for easy management. I have spent the past few days just running trains and working out in my mind plan 2 to get into the shed.

I'm really pleased to hear that the open day went even better than anticipated. Model railways are always a source of fascination to young and old but more so (in my opinion) when they are located out in the garden.

On 23/06/2022 at 20:48, Noisynoel said:

....The thing I like about modelling in the garden is that there are so many different locations to see the railway and they are constantly changing....

That's very true. I have several favourite locations, especially for filming, but the appearance of the layout changes as the garden evolves through the year. It's never the same old scenery time after time.

The 37's on the steel train look excellent by the way!