An unusual load

roddy

Here is an unusual load that may interest period modellers.

Hylton Station 1926 with J 25 0-6-0 LNER 1724 heading an out of gauge load consisting of bed plates which had been cast at a Tyne Dock foundry for Doxfords Marine Engine Works.

90356545_3102887366390385_6697693862489489408_o.jpg

• Like 1

That's an interesting photo Roddy but I've had enough trouble with Hi-cube containers passing beneath my little bridge so there's no way I'm venturing into bed plates. I assume traffic was cleared from the opposite running line while the delivery was made? Over what distance did the train travel?

Tyne Dock is as the name suggests, on the River Tyne near Newcastle. Doxfords is on the River Wear in Sunderland. I guess the distance to be 15 miles or so. The line at Hylton was built by Lord Lambton to serve the coal staithes on the Wear from his pits in the Durham coalfield. I imagine that the needs of the shipyards were so great that it was not a problem to stop traffic. All the metal plates came by rail. They too could have been oversized. I don't know. That was the major traffic, but by 1926 obviously passengers were also being carried. The line was closed by Beeching and re opened for the Newcastle/Sunderland Metro line.  Hylton being the last station on the southern line.  I live close to the next station of Pallion and the Doxford yard, or what is left of it. 

There is a world of modelling to be had on these lines, and the lines into the yards, plus the staithes.