Bachman prices

jimbob

Sadly this great hobby is getting more and more expensive and it’s not just Bachman but Peco increased there prices of Track and points etc and sadly so have many other suppliers.

I Try to buy second hand were possible and have recently been looking at Hornby railroad collection (very reasonable priced) sadly you don’t get hugely detailed locos but still worth looking. 

Sadly if the prices keep rising it will discourage  new young people from starting up  and make it difficult for people like me on a strict budget.

I except that if you want a bells and whistles model you pay through the nose but are they shooting themselves in the foot ? I can only hope that they have done there market research and know how many they can sell at that price. 

On ‎07‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 10:03, jimbob said:

I except that if you want a bells and whistles model you pay through the nose but are they shooting themselves in the foot ? I can only hope that they have done there market research and know how many they can sell at that price. 

Unfortunately, times have changed and anyone thinking this is going to be a cheap hobby is going to be sorely mistaken. In the 1970's & early '80s, you could pick up bargains in your local secondhand shop, then it was Trade-It and similar papers, but now, the internet has pretty much killed it - a huge nation and World wide market is now in competition, quite often, inflating prices. New products you are being supplied with are much higher quality (not from everyone!) models. There are some products with weighty price tags and others that don't - Hornby Railroad being a good example. Or you have to be very patient and look out for pre-owned bargains. And that's my next point.

I'm not saying this is the case with you Jimbob, but I think we've all become a bit "must have it and have it now". I am lucky in that I have a very small shopping list, but I keep an eye on announcements of new products and then make my plans to save for those items - or something else gets sold to pay for it. I make pre-orders for new items if I can, but don't like to pay up front when doing this - sometimes its the only way.The problem with having to save for things is that manufacturers seem to be issuing smaller runs of items and if it takes you too long to save for a particular item, its sold out. I missed out on the initial run of the Dapol TPE liveried class 68, but have been fortunate that they have just announced a second release - phew!   

• Like 1

Agree with all the above Iain. I am in a similar position to you but being a member of a local model railway club gives me the opportunity to place outdated models on sale at the annual exhibition, particularly when an improved version has been announced of something I already own. I am reluctant to sell on eBay although I do use it for purchasing.

There are still bargains to be found at Toy and Train Fairs througout the UK although there is a lot of rubbish as well. A list of such swapmeets can be found at https://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/events/swapmeets

• 3 months later...
On 06/02/2020 at 11:59, jimbob said:

Has anyone seen the prices of the new release Bachman models, £72 for a coach nearly £200 for a C class steam loco. Need equity release to offord them at lose prices.

when hattons bought out their class 66, bachman bought the price of their's down so it is 5 quid cheaper. So they are basically saying 'oh yeah, hattons have bought out a better model at a better price, we price our things stupidly high so we can bring the price down for ours to be cheaper, but still make profit.'

37 minutes ago, EVaNS42 said:

when hattons bought out their class 66, bachman bought the price of their's down so it is 5 quid cheaper. So they are basically saying 'oh yeah, hattons have bought out a better model at a better price, we price our things stupidly high so we can bring the price down for ours to be cheaper, but still make profit.'

A reasonable summary of capitalism. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, EVaNS42 said:

I'm not entirely sure that is all correct.

How about, when Bachmann bought out their model, it was a huge leap forward from the previous Lima / Hornby model, so, knowing there is a part of the railway modelling fraternity who have just got to have the latest / best version of a model, they could afford to hike up the price and take advantage of the situation. Now Hattons have bought out their model, Bachmann are dropping the price to remain competitive - but reading reviews of Hattons model and seeing the problems Mick has had with his, I should think the people at Bachmann are quite pleased they only dropped £5 and sales are probably still good.

• Like 1