Advice needed on possible new layout

DEANO

Good Afternoon everyone,

I was wondering if anyone on here has a layout in a Garden shed or summer house? The reason I’m asking is I’m fed up I can’t run my trains as often as I would like because of the cold awful weather we get here in the uk. So I was thinking of buying a new shed or summerhouse so I could insulate it and maybe put an electric heater in there.

My bungalow is to small for a  layout and my loft is too small  and a pain to get in and out of. I know security could be an issue so I would never leave any Trains or rolling stock in there over night and I have a good CCTV system.

Direct sunlight could also  bleach colours of buildings etc and Temperature variations are something I have thought about also and obviously it would be a  much smaller layout.

Any thoughts welcome

Dean

Well not a layout as such as you know, I make use of my shed purely as a through and a terminus station without any facility for running between them without venturing outside the shed.

My shed measures 12ft by 8ft which for me personally wouldn't be quite big enough for a self-contained layout, but that's just my own preference. I've always tried to keep away from anything resembling trainset curves or tail-chasing trains which without a bigger shed would be unavoidable. If I didn't have space in the garden or room in the attic for a layout then I guess I would have to reconsider my approach and build a layout to suit if it were to be located inside a shed - a small terminus perhaps rather than a larger through station.

Since I insulated my shed it's become a much more hospitable place to be and it was something well worth doing. It's no longer draughty and it stays much cleaner. I've been in there when it's been cold outside and even with just a bit of gentle heat it's certainly warm enough. It also doesn't seem to get as warm during the summer months - it would sometimes knock you off your feet when you first opened the door. I only have one small window so direct sunlight on models or buildings isn't an issue.

Security is an issue with a garden building whatever it's intended purpose but it's a good idea to start with the garden itself as a first line of defence. Make it difficult to access your garden and any potential intruder will no doubt try for easier pickings elsewhere.  I have a full boundary fence (with anti-climb spikes in places) and all access gates are locked when not in use. I have security lighting which is on all night as well as additional PIR motion sensor lighting. I too have CCTV covering most areas of the garden. Locked gates and plenty of illumination are good deterrents.

I once saw a layout someone had built inside a shed and the end curves actually ran outside in raised covered tunnels so it could be used during all weathers. That made maximum use of the shed interior and allowed a bigger layout than would have been possible had the curves been inside. That's something worth thinking about if you dare take a saw to a brand new shed to cut the required access holes! 

There's also nothing stopping you having a connection from a shed layout to a garden loop for use during the summer months.

A shed would be a good starting point for a layout - in fact even for a garden layout I would say it's almost essential.

3 minutes ago, mick said:

. That's something worth thinking about if you dare take a saw to a brand new shed to cut the required access holes! 

Be fair Mick, today's new sheds are hardly well made, so taking a saw to them is not really any sort of problem is it? I Insulated my Summer house with just a single layer of the polystyrene veneer which comes on a roll. Huge difference in Summer and Winter. I still need to put some laminate flooring in there, so that will also have some polystyrene veneer under it.

4 hours ago, roddy said:

Be fair Mick, today's new sheds are hardly well made, so taking a saw to them is not really any sort of problem is it?....

Well it wasn't a problem for me and I paid the extra for thicker t&g timber but I imagine it might be for some people. Mine was always going to be solely a shed for the garden layout so cutting holes in it had already been envisaged, however, I wouldn't want to go cutting any more now that I've insulated it. I haven't insulated the floor of my shed but it does have carpet on it - insulation would be better.

Thank you both for the reply’s, Yes Mick I have 2 gates to my garden that are locked with heavy duty locks and 6 cctv cameras covering all of my property.

I agree it will need to be insulated and I like the idea of a carpet also, I will look into polystyrene insulation later today I agree Roddy some sheds I have looked at are very poorly made I struggle to see how they are even water tight, I would love to build my own but with the price of wood it would just blow the budget.

thank you everyone 

Deano

A lot depends on your budget. Don't be tempted by a cheap DIY one there not worth it. Also budget in the cost of the supplier erecting it for you, they make it look easy but you try it on your own!

Power can be a problem, l got fed up with sky high quotes to put in a proper supply so use a cheap solar panel, inverter,  and caravan battery to power mine seems to work ok but after 5 years the battery has past it's best .

2 hours ago, jimbob said:

..Don't be tempted by a cheap DIY one there not worth it...

I'd second that. It makes sense to go for the best building you can afford so I would be looking at a good quality tongue and groove construction aif you opt for a basic shed design.

2 hours ago, jimbob said:

...Also budget in the cost of the supplier erecting it for you, they make it look easy but you try it on your own!....

They do make it look easy and it takes them no time at all - but it isn't cheap. I decided to have a go at erecting my own after watching some really helpful videos and although it was handy to have assistance while the first two sections were fastened together, after that I managed it more or less on my own by using timber battens temporarily nailed to the ends for support. I even managed, with a bit of a struggle, to get each half of the roof up on top without any assistance though it's not something I would recommend. I can be a fool at times!

Thanks for the reply’s , I’m lucky enough to already have a shed with power and lighting and my new shed/summer house will be next to it so I could run a cable from that.

yes I do agree some shed look like cheap fence panels screwed together with a cheap roof on very cheap and nasty . I feel confident I can assemble one I’m very DIY competent. Summer houses let lots of natural light in but at twice the price and a shed would be more secure but before I get to carried away I have asked the wife lol

cheers

Deano