Camdale HO scale Garden Railway

aussietmrail

Good to see you around and still hard at it Tony. I was only thinking yesterday that I hadn't noticed you here for a while.

13 hours ago, aussietmrail said:

....I will find out from Mick if I can put Google Earth pics on the post....

It seems you are okay to post images providing you follow certain rules.

“Without exception, we require attribution when Content is shown....”, while specifically for Google Earth it states “You can personally use an image from the application (for example on your website, on a blog or in a word document) as long as you preserve the copyrights and attributions including the Google logo attribution.”

You can read about the Google attribution guidelines here https://www.google.com/permissions/geoguidelines/attr-guide/

Hi Mick, many thanks have seen on Google Earth you can change it to Google maps and no logo but street names and building to a link , l will post the links , , sadly you can't do the same with street cam .

https://www.google.com/maps/@-34.9359407,138.5808006,88m/data=!3m1!1e3

Fist link a close up of the auto wagon siding loading dock dock and ramp  for the second level of auto wagon, moved out the way for access to the lower level .

https://www.google.com/maps/@-34.9371878,138.5821937,707m/data=!3m1!1e3

Second link of the station building and two platforms, second platform is and island platform  with access ramp to under the r the track to station building, I hope to contact the AMRA president in South Australia, to ask if any of his members has pics of the station building inside mainly .

Today I plan to start getting out the module to pull up the track and wiring so I can start modifying them where they be set u in the garden shed, also want to do a complete mock -up on how the decking will fit in the back yard and garden, may need more ply for decking mainly station area, also want to see how the swing bridge will fit.

Can anyone give me idea on how the bridge deck will slide in on the main decking, have seen some modellers have curved decking like in a turn table.

Tony from down under keeping on moving ahead

Hi Roddy, how are you going, thanks for the link, had a look , the swing bridge doesn't swing anymore going by the pic , thinking of building the side beams the same shape as that one .

Big day tomorrow will be doing the big mock-up decking of the layout to see how it will fit in , if I need more curved decking, know I need more straight sections , pics to follow , days are cooling down now in the high 20's next Saturday 24 degrees, going to make the most of the cooler weather now.

Tony from down under keeping on moving ahead.

27 minutes ago, aussietmrail said:

Hi Roddy, how are you going, thanks for the link, had a look , the swing bridge doesn't swing anymore going by the pic , thinking of building the side beams the same shape as that one .

Big day tomorrow will be doing the big mock-up decking of the layout to see how it will fit in , if I need more curved decking, know I need more straight sections , pics to follow , days are cooling down now in the high 20's next Saturday 24 degrees, going to make the most of the cooler weather now.

Never mind the photos Tony, the Swing Bridge is permanently manned and does swing. Still fully operational despite the lack of big river traffic that used to be the River Tyne.

Hi Roddy, you are right the swing bridge does work , didn't think it did here is a video .

I started work on the second curved approach  decking, will look great ,got to use the diamond crossing.

First pic, the first left point the smaller curve is accessing the the double track and right first point is access to the island platform , last pic  the curved point smaller curve is access to the middle passing loop main line, the approach curve should be pretty close to the grass, may not need any sides, will see. 

Tony from down under keeping in moving ahead

20200405_154044.jpg

20200405_154101.jpg

I live about ten miles from those bridges Tony.  The Swing Bridge is being filmed from what is known as the High Level bridge. It has a lower roadway and upper rail deck. Looking past the Swing Bridge, you see first the Tyne Bridge, and in the distance The Millenium bridge which when it opens is like a blinking eye. 

Hi Roddy, hope you and family are safe from that virus , getting harder to move over here now, can't travel far, do cop a fine if caught , not moving around much , yeah I saw on Google Earth the bridge you are talking about , make a good project to model  as a town scene.

Good news is I have finely start work on the layout mock-up decking and very happy indeed , didn't have time to set all of  the decking will another day , now it is cooling down , will have to wait for the grass to dry out with the heavy due .

The reason I doing mock-ups is that I can sort out any miss takes in the track plan like I did 4 feet out , luckily I had enough room to fix the miss take , had to add on an extra 4 feet making the layout to 48 foot in length a great size , I mightn't every extend the length of the layout .

In the garden shed I will have two reverse loops  so I can change the trains around on separate blocks, why I have double track to the bridge from the shed for same from the shed, I will now only need .one station instead of two, change the  station name., have enough decking and track to complete the first circuit .

All the decking legs be pre-standing and only be locking the layout curves to the fence  on three sides , I bought a new jig saw, it is a 18volt plus/one Ryobi jig saw got plenty of grunt for a battery tool , will need the two 5 amp batteries charged up when doing a lot of cutting.

Saturday I tested the jig saw out wow , will take a bit to get used to when cutting curves , cut out one side of the arch for the bridge, that be in the next post, so on a big high.

20200407_140652.jpg

20200407_140738.jpg

20200412_102243 a.jpg

• Like 1

Hello Tony.  It's good to see your layout finally taking shape.  It must be very useful to have that dry run mock-up so you can start to see what it will look like.  And it should be pretty good! 

One question: I'm just wondering why on the right hand side of your garden does the line go away from the fence at an angle?  Most people seem to go along the fence.  Maybe you are going to make a garden feature in that corner so the railway has to go in front to miss it, rather than following the fence.

Hoe your project goes well!

Hi Andrew, many thanks how are you and family going with this virus, it is hard for us to travel a long distance, a lot of shops closed , can't even go into a coffee shop and sit down only take away.

Yeah I will be having a garden  the northern end near the patio, don't really like to have too many straight sections only the station and bridge , I like single track running with passing loops more fun that way, it looks like there is double track but not, southern end after the bridge there is a reverse loop , has to be long enough for my trains  to fit. 

The new bridge construction is well under way , I have cut out one side of the arch will cut the other side tomorrow and join both sides together hopefully give more strength to the bridge span of 14 feet..

Here is the one side cut ready to join tomorrow, the arch is two foot high from the rail deck road bridge will go beside it later.  wow .

Take care Tony from down under keeping on movingahead.

20200411_155442.jpg

20200411_155506.jpg

• 1 month later...

Part 2 of mock-up is here with some improvements to happen once I start levelling the decking from the bridge, the bridge is the hold up, went out today home late and looked like a heavy shower of rain but it didn't, wait till tomorrow now, nice days, sun still has that kick being out side though .

Pic one I will  move the single track decking up  and straighten the second more, pic two the curved decking close to the patio  post I want to move , the straight stretch is the triple track main line, 18 feet in length, three 6 foot sections worked out well,  station be in front of it ,good thing is I can have a   forth platform as well .

Third pic looking down toward the back garden the track decking going behind the tree ,  forth pic , closer look and I will move the  decking past the second tree , lucky last  pic showing in the garden shed where there be  five modules, and the first mock-up module being the corner module.

I plan to model a sea plane water bomber base where the third bridge will be perfect spot , river is 11 feet across , planning to use 1/72 scale CL 415 Bombardie  twin prop model two to start off with and a Mars Martin 4 prop sea plan too and different types down the track .

Layout length is now 48 feet by 321 feet wide , still plan to have a spiral close to the shed , the bridge will stand 2 feet water line clearance, big day tomorrow .

20200526_145656.jpg

20200526_145725.jpg

20200526_145754.jpg

20200526_145810.jpg

20200526_145858.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Had to bite the dust and make the layout smaller, trying to keep the wife happy, her way would rather scrap the layout, I said no  need something to keep me busy and too far in to scrap the layout  now, I push on to making a new smaller track plan where I get the use out of long trains like the Indian Pacific and Ghan  and the bridge is nearly finished to scrap that as well .

With the changes have two reverse loops that will make up for the shorter layout and able to turn a whole train around be fun , Friday I will start work on nailing down  to track on the four station modules 7 tracks with 6 platforms, I will have an above bridge station building with car park like in the pic, my road be slightly different to in the pic, need better access for the buses mainly, other change is I will have five more levels on the station building and possible tram stop, second level.

I have two dioramas  Keneflick park  where the big boy and centennial loco DD40AX  6900 , I have both locos  something different is on display and the Sea plane water bomber base , I was lucky enough to find drawing of the bigger Mars Martin sea plane will have ti scratch build that model., I think earlier in the piece I had a thread on Keneflick Park bringing it back .

Next week I will finish the construction of  my bridge, oh year , I sent Mick a message asking he could yet again change my layout name have come up with a good one, Oz"RiverTone,, HO/00 scale garden railway since I have a river running down the middle of the layout what I call the new name 

20200701_210014.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

467889-11185-69-1080.jpg

panoramio-57529680  a.jpg

3 hours ago, Clay Mills Junction said:

Oops the wrong metaphor. Hope you meant "bite the bullet." ;-)

Translated literally, this results in a German metaphor "den Staub fressen".
It refers to the fact that you are left on the country road in the cloud of dust, which causes a happier person who rushes into a carriage or automobile. This means that you have to come to terms with less than you hoped.

10 hours ago, aussietmrail said:

Had to bite the dust and make the layout smaller, trying to keep the wife happy......

Yes you need to keep the other half happy Tony so simplifying your plans might be a suitable compromise.

10 hours ago, aussietmrail said:

...I sent Mick a message asking he could yet again change my layout name.....

I've done that for you as requested.

1 hour ago, ThomasI said:

It refers to the fact that you are left on the country road in the cloud of dust, which causes a happier person who rushes into a carriage or automobile. This means that you have to come to terms with less than you hoped.

In English, if someone "bites the dust," they have died.

To bite the bullet is to make a difficult or unpopular decision and stick with it.

30 minutes ago, Clay Mills Junction said:

In English, if someone "bites the dust," they have died.

To bite the bullet is to make a difficult or unpopular decision and stick with it.

In German, you bite the grass not the dust. 😎

Hello, Tony.  I wish you all the best with the new layout design, and I hope it lets you use all the modules you've made already.  It will still look great and should be fun to operate with those long trains.  Looking at your revised plan, would it be worthwhile to ease out the curve at the bottom end of reverse loop 1 a bit?  Not sure what scale your drawing is, but it looks a bit tight.  Anyway, keep up the good work!  Andrew

Oops the wrong metaphor. Hope you meant "bite the bullet." ;-)

Hi Clay Mills Junction, well I have heard of bite the bullet we use bite the dust got plenty of it , actually means the same thing  yes you die  but can be use for having to shorten what you are working on what I meant .. Thomas said they use bit the grass .

How are you going with your layout, once I get the track down and on some of the curved and smaller sections will set them up so I can run a train earlier , designing the layout to do that , most of my curves are 7 foot quarter radius except two are 12 foot  half radius curves .

Tony from nice down under keeping on moving ahead.

Hi Thomas, dead correct  what you say is what I mean having to cut the length back, well,  my wife wants me to give up in building the layout. I have decided to get the track down on the modules and some of the straight sections to get the trains running quicker the expand lowly .

Take care Tony  from down under keeping on moving ahead.