Camdale HO scale Garden Railway

aussietmrail

Nice work there Tony, though the grass is looking a little parched. Willing to swap you some of our rain and snow for some of that lovely sunshine!

Evening Mick, thanks, cold do with some of your cold weather, clean swap ha, ha,😎😉.I think it is the mower doing that single blade bar , can't sharpen it and that  is right up to the adjustment, would have to pore a lot of fertilizer  like the bowling greens and golf courses, one day get it right, I use a battery mower 36volt Ryobi , front yard isn't  like that .

I am spending a lot more time down in the shed now, wish I didn't give the   the floor fan before we moved . it is mild today low 30's , pulling up the track on the second corner module, wont need all those points and cross overs, since I decided to shift back to the shed.

Have a gazebo that will protect the control panel and transformers from the sun and if there is a light shower, see how Igo today will get out all the modules and set them up with other track decking.

I plan to cut timber base for the module  legs to sit on so the legs don't sink into the grass.

Tony from down under keep on moving ahead 

• 1 month later...

Well under way, two modules are joined up, should of tested a carriage will next time , I decided not to use the fiberglass brass plated strips on holding the rails down on module joins. Decided to cross the join with track, sadly more rail joiners but far quicker, I am happy I modified the track and points on the approach module as the curves lined up far better , so pretty happy,  

Will have to run feeder wires to a plug on one module to connect to the bus wires, will start making up bus wire harness with feeder wires and feed through to the track blocks. I am thinking of powering the   double and single slip cross overs, might be better in switching them. 

Here is a you tube video of the Indian Pacific arriving Sydney Central station , she is so long she has to be split up 14 cars on one side and 14 the on an island platform , I plan to do that can't wait , hope I have enough track to go on the right side platform two .

All the fun in shunting , two locos up front , one goes ahead so the first have can go and that loco  shunt the other half.  

Enjoy our turn to cop wild weather , a lot of rain today, clearing by Thursday back to the layout.

Tony from down under keeping on moving ahead 

20210319_150409.jpg

• Like 1

Nice work again Tony.

I take it you're far enough away from the areas which are experiencing flooding at this time? Geography isn't my strongest point but I believe you're somewhere over towards the east aren't you?

Nice work again Tony.

I take it you're far enough away from the areas which are experiencing flooding at this time? Geography isn't my strongest point but I believe you're somewhere over towards the east aren't you

Hi Mick, many thanks it has rained pretty heavy over night, had 100mm's since it started ,at the end of the gravel at the side of the house is a dam  , front of the house water is backing up, yes we are away from the worsted of the flooding . The creek down the bottom of the street be where walk way bridge is be flooded and the road to the shops may be cut, not going out to find out .

Is supposed  to be the worsted day and easing tonight, just showers tomorrow fine Thursday ,as I type it is still raining .

Can't wait to get back to the layout, be spending a lot more time making the most of autumn weather , hope that be the end of the rain for a while.

I am surprised that the curved ply decking hasn't  twisted , the straight sections  have a bow in them , will have to screw in sides , plan to buy  two more peco  track boxes making sure I have enough track to complete the first circuit and two passing loops.

Tony from very wet down under keeping on moving ahead  

• 2 weeks later...

Finely after all these years sorted out the module legs the  now they fold inwards to the centre of the module and the other side sits on top 

Also there is enough clearance for the bus wires especially coming from the control panel to the centre bus wire strips , can see them in pic three, I also moved them down to the first cross beam  and the last 4 on there own  are now right angles to the legs.

Tomorrow I will connect them up ready for when I do the bus wiring , 7 more module to do, next one be quicker, be nice to my wife  in letting me bring the modules up to the patio to do the wiring on rainy days be a wet Easter here..

Tony from down under keeping moving ahead. 

20210329_155153.jpg

20210329_155556.jpg

20210329_155939.jpg

20210329_155949.jpg

• Like 1

I have rewired the bus wires to the terminal bus strips , I am going to do what  Andrew has done with his bus wires not used any but used the rails but  soldering the rail joins with wire , wire is pretty expensive, I still need plugs on all the decking and modules .

All up 20 blocks controlling three throttles by rotary  switches , designed the layout  o be plug and play , don't think I will go DCC at this stage, can have just as much fun with DC just more wires. Looking at the track plan the two blocks on the bridge will be isolated from the rest of the rails , will still have to run bus wires to the control panel be the only blocks, control panel is in the middle of the layout . 

We are having a wet Easter, heavy predicted for today and to, will sort out the morrow, no chance in getting down to the shed will sort out the blocks today , work on the ship tomorrow .

Happy Easter to everyone on the forum , Tony from wet down under keep moving ahead 

20210402_152515.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Have two lengths of flexi track to complete the first station module, I be working on the next two modules that make up the station complex before I start work on the bus wiring, doing the wiring different to make it easy to trace if I have an issue on the block .

The first pic I have the first reverse loop in place, the other be on the last station module, I am making the most of the nice autumn weather, no rain for a week, so full steam ahead, might even be able to run a test loco from the the front platform track to the real platform track.

I think I will be powering the single and double cross overs, don't have to bend over be fun, good thing is I can work on two modules at a time . 

Tony fomr down under keeping on moving ahead 

20210413_161350.jpg

20210413_161431.jpg

20210413_161327.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Tony has asked me to inform everyone that he has been in hospital for the past 6 weeks with a heart condition and is currently unable to make any further progress on his layout. I'm sure you will all want to join with me in wishing him a full and speedy recovery.

• Sad 3

7 hours ago, mick said:

Tony has asked me to inform everyone that he has been in hospital for the past 6 weeks with a heart condition and is currently unable to make any further progress on his layout. I'm sure you will all want to join with me in wishing him a full and speedy recovery.

Hi Mick, Yes, let's hope Tony gets well soon. My thoughts go out to him and his family

• Like 3

22 hours ago, mick said:

Hi Mick a favour could  you change my layout name  to anew but name Carmdale, many thanks  .slowly improving swelling is going down  Tony from cold down under.

• Like 1

Hi Marcus, Andrew and Clay Mills junction, many thanks for the kind words am improving every day soon be coming home , longest time in hospital ever..

No idea when I will get back to my layout wife wont let me go down to the shed, plenty of projects to work on, ship will be rebuilt in one full section with a complete hull and got a spitfire I am working on . You get a mag with  parts every fortnight going cost $2000 when finished  Mark1A 1/18 scale  fully working model

Tony from down under keeping on moving ahead

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hello Tony,

I see from your message on Thomas's thread that you are still in hospital.  I'm very sorry to hear that.  Of course all of us here send you our very best wishes and hope the doctors will let you go soon.  I'm sure you will get better much quicker once you are home again.

So all the best to you - and keep on moving ahead!

Andrew

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all Camdale  layout will be scrapped as soon as I am well enough and got the strength back to be able to do the gardening  mowing whipper shipping or just whipper snipping my wife likes to do the mowing .

There be a how new name and new track plan back to 54 feet , sadly  in the Ipswich hospital , hopefully home next week .

Tony from down under keep moving ahead 

Hi Andrew, many thanks for the kind words yeah the docs say mid next week or earlier, be nice to be home and stay home , yes have a project hat needs to be looks at , I have a German 103 electric , thanks to my friend he dropped it  the front left side where the buffer needs to be filled in.

I like your choice of Aussie locos is a NSW 42 class loco used for mainly passenger , like the Indian Pacific mid 70's

Take care Tony from down under keeping on moving on  

Hi guys, since the upset of the bad health scare ,and sadly still in hospital, all goes well homeward bound tomorrow will depend what the docs say today.

The time in hospital I have had time to redesign my layout with the bridge part of it, sadly Camdale and other name changes at the old place I have could with the great name Redbank West Railroad based 00 and Ho scale Redbank is where I live now .

I plan to use that plastic hobby sheeting and  used for advertising and  election time mainly for the three modules for the station complete, will be strengthened make them very light, will keep all the curve and straight ply sections.

Will start in the next couple of weeks once I am home, cant wait.

There is the  new track plan , good news home tomorrow hope I have a good night .

Tony from down under keeping moving ahead 

20210801_161605.jpg

Hi Tony, long time no speak. Great that you are finally going home. You will need to rest up and slowly get back into the routine. I haven't done any modelling for a long time, but am playing just now with N gauge. The question will be, do I stay on a small baseboard, or dare I go into the garden, or even do I keep my small baseboard, but hook it onto a long garden loop so that the trains have somewhere to go? I have the same problems that you suffer. Big plans that never really get anywhere. Are you a Gemini by any chance? Anyway, take care old pal. Get your tracks running before mucking about with boats and other things.