Camdale HO scale Garden Railway

aussietmrail

Yes you need to keep the other half happy Tony so simplifying your plans might be a suitable compromise. I've done that for you as requested.

Hi Mick ,yeah my wife wants me to scrap the layout , I don't want to,  so have come up with an idea that will make her a bit happier , once I have nailed all the track down on the modules will join them up and set up the curves to link up with the five tracks, will be smaller in length by  over  half and get to run trains earlier and slowly add to the set up to the main track plan .

Many thanks for changing the layout name the best name I have come up with, will use CAM for the bridge and river name after my son .

Tony from down under keeping on moving ahead

Edited by aussietmrail

Not sure what scale your drawing is, but it looks a bit tight.  Anyway, keep up the good work!  Andrew

Hi Andrew , many thanks , the scale of the track plan is quarter inch a foot , layout length is 40 feet by 31 feet wide, yes be two reverse loops, they be long enough to hold my train length, wont need  DPDT  switches to switch the currant will be a separate block, have done that on other layouts.

The sad thing  all the wiring I have don at the old place will now have to be come out same with the control panel connection block strips going to another module because the module is one of the first modules I built used the wrong ply, will go to a lighter module as is will find the pic .

Take care Tony from down under keeping on moving ahead.

IMG_3424.jpg.4d7b44f9d121f4da3d313f9502b3c3de.jpg

Edited by aussietmrail

I won't be using those saying,  have decided to even cut the length back even more to 26 by 31 feet stage one  and designed the layout to be contentious running from station platform and come onto another more running time, will still have two reverse loops and the stations be the two passing loops  till the bridge goes in stage two and be a third passing loop.

If the main platform tracks are in use I can bypass onto the triple track , be a lot of fun Stage  2/B  there be a forth platform and two tracks   second track a passing loop. be a lot of fun indeed, this will get trains to running faster, but firstly I will have to set up the bridge so I can get the station modules the same height.

Tony from down under keeping on moving ahead.

20200703_220350.jpg

20200703_153909.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well under way in how I be joining up each module, pretty happy in how it turned out so well, another 3 to go, took all Saturday afternoon, I always  wanted to go this way , did so  a lot more work, next  module  when cutting out on the module end will be cut 13 mm instead of 12 mm too much work in filling back to fit so it will slide with ease.

First pic I choose the other module with the block strips  so the bus wires can go over the ply strip screwed in place , will be shifting the block strips closer  and all together in one line, be  nothing like the DC wire madness, the bus wire has to be perfect this time  changing to DCC Christmas, a Christmas present.

Can see how well the two modules join up in line same next pic, third  pic the two modules pulled away free , last pic with the modules turned over, next job start all over again laying the track down , will be doing a video clip on how I solder the track down on  the module join with brass strips.

Once the modules have the track all done I will then set up the bridge where it be going so I can get the levels  to the fence on both sides so the II will be able to set up the first the first corner module  in place on the fence, not giving any date time when the first train be running.

Will make the most of the perfect weather , some rain coming in the weekend , I hope  to set  the modules up the garage to nail the tracks down on the module join no power points in the shed,.

Tony from down under keeping on moving on 

20200718_135817.jpg

20200718_135840.jpg

20200718_140035.jpg

20200718_140538.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Construction to the new layout is well under way, I thought I had enough timber for three  modules, not so, will have to buy more next week , Bunning  here have a off cuts  bin , going to raid it next week see how much I can grab for free .

Changing the modules to their new position, I now have to pull up the track laid down  and re-nail the track  down, at least I will have a perfect level ground to set up the modules , should of though of this idea earlier, the legs are 18 inches high,  the ply I bought and had cut up for the new corner module I don't have build now, what I will do is replace  one of the modules with a new sheet of ply .

First two pics the curved decking, the  straight section be a  swing bridge , I might have the refuelling  and sand dock  for the locos in the middle with turn table and work shop. and possible staging vertical yard , will use my gazebo to cover the  area. 

Pic 3v there be another 12 inch  wide  ply between the house and modules  for two more tracks all up 7 tracks plus a siding for  auto car carrier ramp., Monday I will mark where the  station modules be going ,the fist module will be modified to be a  foot wider to take the curve coming off the straight section.

Will have my hands full for the next few months, making the most of the nice days where it isn't hot , there is more shade on the side of the house and fence , be able to leave the layout set  up  longer, depending on the weather and my wife  when she does the washing. and needs the clothes line, on a  big  high indeed .

Tony from cold down under keeping  on moving ahead .

20200730_155131.jpg

20200730_155216.jpg

20200801_155432.jpg

20200801_155504.jpg

20200801_155521.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Being a over a month since last update, end of August I spent 4 days in hospital, kidneys failed not low enough to be plugged up bad enough, then we ordered the gravel and bark to top up the two gardens, now I have a great flat area to work with setting up the modules and decking .

I am working on the approach module  will finish it tomorrow so I can continue with  joining the curves that will make up the loop, the loop will only be access to the terminus track leading into the terminus platforms 6 all up.

In the first pic between the two fence post is where the main line will branch off   and head down the fence line,  quite a few feet about 5,6 foot deck modules, should have enough ply, will be easy to set up, plug and play, the fence will lock the layout in place.

Wont do any more work on the bridge till it is a fine day .

Tony from down under keeping on moving a head 

20200905_125139.jpg

20200907_155131.jpg

20200907_155146.jpg

20200907_155150.jpg

20200908_154605.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of your health problems Tony. Now that you're back home you should take things easy for a while and not be messing around with loads of gravel, though I have to admit it does look very nice now that you've managed to get it done.

Don't go overdoing things. The layout will be there waiting for you once you recuperated a bit.

Morning Mick,  many thanks only had a weeks rest, we  got all the heavy yard work out the way , no more keep up the maintenance, yeah now have a good flat area for the main part of the layout to sit.

After brekky I be working on the bridge finely going to finish it, need to cut a bit more ply to finish filling inside the arch and continue on drilling the holes for the arch hangers be glad to get the bridge finely out the way gee being at it a few years .

Monday finish off the curved approach module sides so I can start laying  track and points down  they the wiring, hope to reuse most of the bus wiring from the old modules , save a bit of money.

Going to scratch build a Sydney double deck train, the new ones have 8 carriages easy to model straight sides, I need a second suburban train  

This train is two 3 car sets joined together, problem is getting hold of truck side plates  .

Take care Tony from down under

1280px-Cityrail-millennium-M32-ext  a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Have finished building the curved approach module and track is now down, drilled holes so I can cut out on end of the module  for a lining up plate, I be using circuit board  cut into strips to hold down the track on the module join.

Sadly wont be doing any more work till my leg heals up, took some skin off just before the knee ,ouch , take a week, will only be nailing track down  next week 

Third pic should be first , with  the lining up ply plate ,  all I will need is clamps to hold the modules in place quickly, what I be doing next week , plenty to do without doing any timer cutting.

https://www.google.com/maps/@-31.9465218,115.8761724,308m/data=!3m1!1e3

The approach module has the cross overs to access the passing loop when the Indian Pacific arrives from Sydney to shunt around the passenger cars and shunt the two auto wagons to their siding, in pic four .

Second pic will tie in with the google earth link what I am basing my  station complex on, the point is where the suburban track will head off to the top right of  the pic , that is a long tunnel , comes out a beside the Perth convention centre beside the Swan river.

The curved track in pic one  has a three foot  single track radius curve,  when I am running train from Sydney central that track become a terminus platform track.

This week I will concentrate on the ship building which is coming along well working on the funnel and funnel deck, more work than I thought, progress pics to follow, good news is the hull construction is finished .

I will start nainling track don on the curved decking and straight section so I can run a train over the bridge by-passing the station modules.

20200920_153930.jpg

20200920_154026.jpg

20200920_154935.jpg

wpa422c998_05_06  a.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The curved decking is now down and joined together ready to lay track on, a bit more work ahead first,  Monday I will fold out the legs on the first station module so I can level the two approach modules cut the legs and screw in place.

Move onto the curved decking , levelling both curves so then I can bridge the gap the s/w approach to the curved deck, the tack can be laid down, the work never ends, hope to get a lot done before it starts getting hot in December.

One good thing is I bought some tarp to give me early shade, as it gets pretty hot at the side of the house, module was hot to pic up.

Tony from down under

20201005_144111.jpg

20201005_144017.jpg

20201005_144050.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Tony,

I'm quite new here but am certainly enjoying your build, it is very ambitious!

Do I have this right, your layout is basically modular so you can set it up each time you operate?

Given your climate down under, sounds like a good idea to me!

Keep up the good work, Cheers,

John.

Hi John, many thanks , welcome to the forum  yes my build ia a module set up , have on the form a few layout from down under gave up because the extreme weather conditions destroying all their hard work . I decided to go module for taking long to build, we get 43 degree days in summer can bend the track rails.

My modules are constructed well where they don't warp, as for the curved section not have any frames but a leg is every 3 and a half inches apart. The state I live in is in election mode, voting day on the 31st of October, but there is pre-poll two weeks before starting today, no progress on the layout till after the election.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Have finely sort the approach module at long last, got a few cooler days ahead so will make the most of it, that depend on how heavy it rains over the weekend, hoping my wife let me set up the saw horses on the patio and no wind.

My Flying Scot dual tender drive steamie is now in Marcus's hands and I am  a proud owner of Bachman 350 4 car EMU set, both of us are happy campers , 

Once the approach module is lined up rails cut can continue   with the curved deck linking up the main line , so I can give the new set a run, will look good beside the  Bachman Virgin Cross country 5 car DMU set, now have two suburban trains at long last.

Tony from cloudy down under

20201210_104352.jpg

20201210_213015.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi all, hope everyone had a great new year and well settled into 2021 , I am now getting stuck into the layout construction finely finishing the curved approach module .

It is a nice morning here n down under perfect weather for working on the layout, will go down to the shed after lunch, now can move onto the first station module.

Yet again I have decided to move the layout back do to the flat yard and the large return loop be going into the shed, I will make use of my gazebo to cover the control panel , have access into the shed, will finish the first station module this week, next weekend going to b a hot weekend so no progress work 35 degrees Saturday and 37 on Sunday .

The good news is that I will be having the vertical staging yard in the patio, full swing  this year coming into my6th year in the forum .

20210107_154857.jpg

20210107_154927.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Andrew, many thanks  yeah I wish those curved points had a better curve , the smaller cure has a 30 radius and the larger 5 feet , the larger should have a better curve in it , I try to make sure the track coming onto the larger curve is large as well.

That is the only approach module , there is 13  tracks not all are through, three aren't the are terminus track, I will have a big station building to match, based on the Denver union station building in the US.

is it still snowing where you live , nice to have a white Christmas, hot Christmas over here .

Tomorrow is supposed to be a nice day not rain  I will see up all the modules and track decking and bridge  to see if I have enough .

• 4 weeks later...

Every thing is going to plan, didn't have time yesterday afternoon , didn't start cooling down till 5pm managed to do a mock-up of the station  modules where they be going, not beside the  house now too hot in the morning. 

First pic is the first station module line up with corner approach module , second pic  wide angle pic , where the corner module is the 18foot mark where the ruler is in pic three and pic four. 

Where the tape measure is 18 inches  and the shelving be moved to the middle of the back of the shed wall  where the return loop will go on the bottom shelf , permanently, be a tunnel, there be a connecting corner module to save on curved decking.

THe layout is designed to be continuous running from one platform to the back platform , two levels .with spiral and other side  a ramp , 24 feet in length quarter in a foot gaining 6 inches.

On a high, can't wait for the hot weather to start cooling  down, not much of summer left, March will still have a few hot days.

Tony from down under keeping on moving ahead .

20210201_134826.jpg

20210206_171852.jpg

20210206_171938.jpg

20210206_172034.jpg

I couldn't  fit in 5 pics, here is the fifth pic which should of being the first pic show a close up of the 20 blocks that will control the three throttles, not sure if I will go DCC now as in a couple of years may have to down size to a one bedroom unit as my health isn't improving. I main aim is to have a couple of years running my layout, will be working flat out when the days start cooling down , we hope to stay longer where we are now, perfect yard .

20210201_134804.jpg