Camdale HO scale Garden Railway

aussietmrail

Hi all, I have started planning the new Camdale track and module design,, sure will be a big difference, a couple of days back I started marking out on the pergola tiles where the station complex be going, sadly had to cut back on the approach module to make way or the corner spiral approach module. I only 30ft 9 inches to play  width wide, station modules wont be facing the right way  to model Sydney can live with that  same with the bridge, I measured the length looking at the pic of the back yard , 54 feet measures from 6 inch centre from the back of the house down to the edging of  the back garden.

I will have redesign the bridge for it to come off a curved section to the bridge pier, one of the 7 foot sections will have to be cut back 42 inches,  going on an angle be able to fit  in the main span if 13 feet  close to the corner of the shed . The back  of the layout won't be straight , probably be better that way with not too many straight sections, first two pics is of the temporary track plan of mainly the spiral, very happy that the spiral has worked out. 

The third pic is of the marking of the width of the station modules complex, this them there be no post in the way trying to hide them, the first station platform is behind the post and can hide the post s with station building, fourth pic taken with the wide angle lens of the pergola and back yard with shed .

Fifth pic is the diameter of the spiral 7foot centre double track , sixth pic of have the diameter of 42 inches, the piece of cardboard is the  grass is the end of the corner module, I may not actually build a full corner module, instead have a six foot by 6 inch wide bridge, to link up the spiral with the station module to complete the first circuit. A second curved section will run off the main spiral with  a cross over and two points to the platforms one, two three and four, last pic of the corner module that will be an L shape , of 18 inches to 3 feet .

I will be only running trains in the cooler months as it is too hot in summer, may be able to run trains in September depending on how hot it will get, no construction to mid March of if we manage to have a good cool change, I then be able to start pulling up track form the old approach module making use of some of the ply .

Enjoy the latest pics and feed back is welcome. more pics on the way .

Tony from hot and cloudy down under, storm predicted for the afternoon sure need that rain , keeping on moving  ahead

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

• Like 2

I am having trouble with edit isn't showing up, Mick said 48 hours will leave the thread open all day and keep an eye if edit shows, hope so as I want to change the new thread to Camdale HO scale garden railway Part 11 or MK 11

The track plan is well under way, sadly I can't get any of the  bridge out while the weather is unstable, had a heave rain this morning good for the grass.

Length is 44 feet stage one by 30 feet wide, stage 2 the suburban extension, stage three the 2 reverse loops and vertical staging yard and so on, I may build the workshop, refuelling and sand doc  first after the layout is up and running .

The modules are in black track stay in pencil colour , I have more of a chance to model a Ro,Ro ship port near the spiral  come later, first up complete the first main line circuit , if it clears  later might be able to get the bridge out, some of the bridge will have to be cut back 4 feet , the second passing loop be 30 feet in length ,  what my trains will be especially the container train .

Trying not to have too many straight sections,the back of the layout  will have a 12 foot quarter curve run of the corner module , more progress pics to come, to late in the afternoon to get out the bridge  see what the weather is tomorrow.

Tony from cloudy down under keeping on moving ahead

20200115_095423.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, aussietmrail said:

I am having trouble with edit isn't showing up, Mick said 48 hours will leave the thread open all day and keep an eye if edit shows, hope so as I want to change the new thread to Camdale HO scale garden railway Part 11 or MK 11...

No point sitting and watching Tony. As I said earlier, the edit option is only available for 48 hours from the moment you first save the post - after that the option to edit a post is no longer available.

I have amended the thread title for you so it will apply to all future posts.

Hi Mick, many thanks, I wasn't on the laptop lap , yeah MK2 is better , I did some more work on the track plan and have decided to venture down the side f the house,, got 9 feet width wise to play  to plan with so the  curve radius will be 7 feet double track and  a second  station with possible  three platforms,good news is I be able to add to the layout, haven't measured the length as yet.

Second stage wont go that far down, will make up the lose of 10 feet , will have to add on another 8 feet, layout be 56 feet in  length,, first stage the layout be 44 feet in length and the western side of the station modules be  temporary curved section ,the layout become a L shape design .

Have decided I will redesign the bridge, instead three sections will only two for the main span, join be in the middle , this time when I build the arch be in one full piece, the second pic of the bridge I be basing the new bridge on , not sure if I will do it that way with both road and rail, the real bridge only has a single mine be double track will measure corner to corner of the shed .

I could leave the rail deck screwed to the arch  bottom framing,be a while before that happening , need to buy a new jig saw  be a 18 volt battery  jig saw , off to Bunning  to get timber long enough to do the job.

Still cloudy here might get a chance today after lunch to set up the bridge and spiral , pics to follow.

Tony from down under keeping on moving ahead 

20191231_185326.jpg

1920px-Fehmarnsundbrücke_1963_Femernsundbroen_Insel_Fehmarn_Sound_Bridge_963_Meters_Schleswig-Holstein_Germany_-_Foto_2018_Wolfgang_Pehlemann_P1260910.jpg

Fehmarnsundbrücke_in_Längsachse_1963_-_E47_B_207_Straßenbrücke_Eisenbahnbrücke_Fußweg_Westseite_-_Foto_2018_©_Wolfgang_Pehlemann_P1270023.jpg

• Like 1

Work is well under way on Camdale HO scale garden railway MK2 , Yesterday I decided to pull up the track on the old approach module, get a bit more done after tea , to hot 36 degrees air con is on, I have made some changes to the track plan and finished the main line, even the first stage being 44 feet long is quite large, have drawn  the plan to scale .

ON the track plan Left hand corner of the track plan I have drawn a curve temporary curve section till I start onstage two and three be a permanent curve section connecting the suburban track and stage one track. The whole idea is to run the Ghan train train around  so it be going the right way into Alice Springs station,coming from Darwin , will be having two reverse loops coming off stage two and be a second station hopefully four tracks and three platforms 

Now I have a bigger shed will be making use of it , have a 8 foot long by 5 tracks maybe double deck vertical staging  yard , work shops and refuelling , sand dock.

Plenty of room to put a Ro-Ro port , too hot to be able to set up the bridge, weather unstable very humid storm predicted for the afternoon, so long as I can get my power walk in .

Have done no more work on the ship yet, have to make a start one night this week, only have two more bulkheads to mark and cut out, on the stern section.

Where the module is I can get around it on one side, get the mower out then be able to get around the other side.

The planning of the new bridge is coming along , I be buying two lengths 3 meter by 19mm thick pine for the sides , bridge rail deck be joined together to make one 14 foot bridge, to make it easy to set up, other way too hard , the top arch be in one peace as well.

20200120_111209.jpg

20200119_155926.jpg

20200119_161432.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Thomas, nice bridge, here is a pic of my bridge drawn to scale quarter inch a foot, this time with the new design the arch be in one full piece, the main arch wont be in full piece will have to join  18 inches on to make up the arch, 10 foot in diameter not quite 12 foot half circle .

Be on the hunt for 18mm by 1/1/2 wide pine at 10 feet in length, in metres 3 metres is not 10 feet, there is a demo timber mob just down the road now , handy indeed, hangers be 12 inches wide, the second pic is what my bridge be based on this time not a double deck, road bridge be beside the rail bridge. the only difference is on the pic the arch continues onto the pier, my bridge wont have that.

Arch is still 2 foot high, still be able to have kite flyers jump off the top of the arch and easier for them to scale the arch too, lots of steps and hand rails , lots to do on those hot days work o the bridge in the hall way which is quite long in the nice  cool house. 

Don't need the 12 foot curve decking cutting that up for the bridge arch, will have to ask my brother if he can bring over his battery jig saw wont take long to cut , be on the con for a 18 volt Ryobi battery jig saw. soon.

another  hot day again tomorrow, hate this time of the year too unstable, hot night 24 degrees, keeping the air con on till we go to bed.

20200121_194606.jpg

20200121_201154.jpg

• Like 1

Hi all, the final main line drawing of the new Camdale HO scale garden railway MK2 track plan, stage 2 length is 16 feet, added onto 44 feet, total lenght 60, much longer layout, more running time for the Ghan and Indian Pacific, can't wait.

The weather isn't so good very humid and we have had rain good for the grass, ouch more mowing, no work on the layout till it starts to get cooler, mid March, of course if there are any cool changes will make the most of it.

With stage two be two reverse loops, hope to start stage two soon after I finish the first, stage two is needed, to get the most out of the layout, all I need to do is just run one train being a lot of fun, be enough work to keep me going a long while, trains only be run in the cooler months , I will have to put the level on the pergola floor,  going by the way the stays after rain it isn't on a grade, easier for the station module legs cut all the same length.

Tony from hot down under keeping on moving ahead

20200123_123310.jpg

20200123_123317.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is a couple of good you tub video clips of  the Williams loop, not may pics.

Very muggy here, more storms predicted for this afternoon, I am hooping to get the bridge out and do a mock-up of the spiral loop, give me an idea on how many curved sections I will need hopefully enough.

I will have on the  front of tunnel 2020 , my  spiral will have a 7  foot diameter, not sure on the length of the spiral.

Those track plans look very professional Tony. I don't think I made a drawing of anything when I started the attic layout. I just had the idea in my head and laid the track but it is in essence just a circular layout so I doubt anything more was really necessary. I remember doing a lot of measurements on the outdoor layout and being especially careful to keep it all level so that it would join up when the end section met the beginning but even that was more luck than judgement if I'm honest.

I'm glad you're settled now and able to move forward with the layout without any uncertainty.

Thanks Mick, yeah I love to go by a scale track plan giving idea how it will fit into what area I have to use, plan is designed so I can add to it keeping the cost down, this time starting of smaller so I can get it up and running quicker.

The layout has to come second in doing jobs around the yard, grass is fast growing  all that watering and at last rain has done the trick with the humidity, mowing every week have to mow every few days going by the back yard needing a mow only mowing on Thursday last week, front needs a mow,worth the effort with nice green grass.

How cold is it in the UK , over here dam hot in the high 30's all week , humidity the killer., still hopping to do a mock-up of the bridge and spiral  this week with the decking I have .

I had a friend that did the same , he didn't go bay a track plan either.

The old approach module is no more , I pulled up all the track and points , turned it over to pull up the wire staples, not finished , rain coming in Tuesday ,  see how cool  it be  Monday afternoon hot day 40 degrees ouch.

Have decided that the old approach module be come after modifying it to be the eastern front corner module.

To the right of the last where the whipper sniper is hanging up with J hooks, I had a spare one and had a go in pushing it through the top shed beam wow it worked so now going to buy more about 7 and can hang the beg board up the I hoped up higher and not screwed to the shelving as in the last pic, be busy next week  after I buy them , garden up out the way, pic to follow..

These are jobs I can do of an afternoon till it gets cooler, can't wait .

IMG_3102.jpg.75c76225e33a562746e21a040f7ccf4a.jpg

IMG_3217.jpg.269003e09c7547ad9aaaf30b35875dfd.jpg

20200119_161432.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now down under's turn for the big wet , from over night to this  afternoon we have had at least 90 mm's of rain, poor shed has flooded again, now will have to dig to put in a drain around the shed , concrete slab not high enough water lapping the top f the bottom shed base framing one side.

Pic one the old  approach module is now no more, points track and wiring gone now ready to be modified into the new eastern corner module, pic two the very first point and cross over mock-up pic is going where the arrow saying mock-up photo , as in track. 

Have changed where the track leading into the terminus platforms, will now have  a new approach module, sadly the station building be out in the open, down the track will get a cover to protect from sun mainly, once the rain goes and yard dry out will get stuck back into the modifying of the modules.

Plan to change the modules around and peg board will be hanging up with J hooks so the not screwed to shelving, may jive more room to work on modules, see what the weather is like Saturday and Sunday .

Slowly starting to move ahead, aiming for my birthday , be a big birthday present to see the trains finely running , good news is I may be going DCC after June see what birthday money I get, thinking of going Digikijs , a few blokes in my train clug are raving about it, good thing is it has Wi-Fi and you use your smart phone as a controller, in my price range, got two trains and one loco with DCC on board , wont be getting any locos with sound straight away., 

20200205_144809.jpg

20200206_143007.jpg

20200206_153958.jpg

WE sure had a lot  of rain big storm today dumped 40 mm's in an hour , poor shed, it looks I need to dig out beside the shed for a concrete drain or plastic channel and in front of the shed, at least the other side and back of shed has worked.. 

I have shifted the peg board and will have to move it 15 inches more to fit the two sets of shelving,  after I have moved the shelving will move the modules down , doing so have given more room to work on modules, will finish the move off tomorrow, between shores, not as bad .

Have pulled up the track and points on the old spiral corner module to become the new approach, will get that one out the way to work on the old car port corner module  to become the western corner module., the next module is the next one to work on, once track is off, have to modify, the corner be 4 foot wide  by 42 inches long extension.

The last two pics, I am basing my rail bridge on the second last pic rail bridge under construction, m arch will have an eight foot diameter, the only way was to be 3foot high off the rail deck  , I am thinking of cutting the 8foot arch in two pieces and join them in the middle, the side beam be 8 to 10 feet in length, will start marking the arch from the two 7 foot  in length by 6 inches  radius curve decking .

Making the most of the cooler weather even though it is humid , can't show the pic sadly  has copy right on ii will find another pic of bridge.

Tony from humid and wet down under keeping on moving ahead

20200208_141500.jpg

20200208_143642.jpg

Resized_20200209_160131(1).jpg

20200209_195554.jpg

2 hours ago, aussietmrail said:

WE sure had a lot  of rain big storm today dumped 40 mm's in an hour , poor shed, it looks I need to dig out beside the shed for a concrete drain or plastic channel and in front of the shed....

I didn't realise your shed hadn't got an integral floor. I was going to suggest perhaps adding a raised floor but even then I'd want the bottom of the building sealing to prevent any water coming in underneath. I wonder why they install them like that in the first place?

Evening Mick,  Yeah did think of razing the floor be cheaper to have a concrete drain at the side and front of the shed, will have to go down and open the shed to see if any water came from the storms last night, year some water came in, thinking of using bitumen tar, will find out today  when we go to Bunning , just got the mowing in late yesterday afternoon, was pretty humid shirt and shorts wet .

Yesterday morning I shifted the modules and bridge around, to give  more room to work on modules, tomorrow I be marking out the arches for the new bridge, I think I will join the arches up in the middle saving on one less  arch join , arch is 5 feet in diameter feet 8 foot arch , mower will go in on the peg board side shift it outside out the way when working on the modules.

Tony from cloudy down under keeping on moving ahead.

20200210_152440.jpg

20200210_152459.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The wife has laid down the law, no trains in the patio area, that spelt the end of Camdale , I managed to save the layout with having to modify all the modules, the very first layout I started working on has being reborn again the famous Tehachapi loop,m working out a lot better and be able to model the Loop farm .

Other changes to the layout is the  Ro, Ro port, more room can model Immingham port, with a harbour to turn ships around, room for the Ro, Ro ships and container port with a cruise terminal , I be busy building a container and cruise ship . 

Have a new name for the layout Tm'osdell, asked Mick to change the second Camdale post to the new name, no memories for the old house, stage one length is 40 feet , not sure on stage two, will have the Perth terminal and through suburban island platform . The shed will 5 modules in it with reverse loop and vertical staging double deck yard 4 tracks wide ,  stage one will have a smaller large country station with 6 tracks and one to be a passing loop for freight trains.

Still hot here, 35 degrees tomorrow, not doing much work on the layout till after the council elections which I am involved in helping to candidates ,  only work be on  the bridge  depends on how long I be able to   borrow my brothers jig saw., shouldn't of  thrown my electric one out    

The Darwin  station won't be there all the time only when running on the line , be in tree small  7 foot modules, very excited in the new track plan 

Tony from warm down under keeping on moving ahead 

20200301_081520.jpg

20200301_092509.jpg

Thank you Mick for changing the old layout name to the new name ,  summer is still here 36 degrees today, has being very muggy as well,  very hot in the garden shed, all goes well will get a whirly bird fitted will help, one good thing is there is shade form the shed of an afternoon, where I can do all the cutting and rebuilding of the modules.

Have some where to have the vertical staging yard , be 8 foot long by 4  to 5 tracks wide ,  second level come later, have some where to set up trains.

Be cooler by the end of the week , be start work on the bridge,  will look good when finished , the main feather of the layout.

Tony from sunny warm down under keeping on moving ahead.

whirlybird-roof-ventilator.jpg

• 1 month later...

A new approach module has being reborn, I decided to straighten the bridge and station up to do away with that small curve making way for the new approach module, got to use the double and single slip cross over and small one on top of the 3 way point.

Giving access to the double tack main line  and platform track , I be building the triple track first , still working on the curved approach module a second curved deck be merging onto the first one, heavy modifying .

The first three pics , I be repaint the decking but will have to cut slot  an inch past the to three cross overs so the decking for the triple track and auto side dock cut line up, have left the cross overs on the deck to do that , I will find out from Mick if I can put Google Earth pics on the post.

Forth pic I made use f the ceiling fan yesterday, still was hot in the garden shed yesterday, next summer will have put a whirily bird on the roof to get the heat out, at least I have a good area to work outside the shed with the shade where I will do the cutting on Friday.

Luckily last the new track plan , I have done away with the Tehachapi loop ides, not working out with the shipping canal , good news is construction is now under way, loo at the top end where the spiral is I am planning a swing bridge have a 7 foot span so big ships can pass through , may never extend the length of the layout .

Tony from sunny down under keeping on moving ahead

20200401_151933.jpg

20200401_152015.jpg

20200401_152033.jpg

20200401_152045.jpg

20200401_213040  a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1